• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyperthreading in Abit IT7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oki

Registered
As you can read in this page from Intel, all the motherboards with the 845E MCH are able to handle the Jackson technology (A.K.A. Hyperthreading) on 533MHz FSB CPUs. For example the not new ASUSP4T533 with the same 845E has a new BIOS that gives Hyperthreading support, see the description of that BIOS release here.

So please ABIT, realease a BIOS for the IT7 family with Hyperthreading support. We all know that it is possible and your motherboards has been always the first integrating new technology, Take us to the MAX and don't leave ASUS to be ahead in this issue. It seem like if they are using the HT for launching the new motherboards for example the BE7, BG7 and that piece of crap called IT7-MAX2 2.0.

What do you all think about this?

Oh! my FSB is now at 200MHz in my classic IT7-MAX, The real MAX, legacy free and without floppy drive, cooled by AVC Sunflower. 845PE is just a rename for 845E with oficial DDR333 support, AND NOTHING ELSE.

Regards
Oki

Last edited:
OP
O

Oki

Registered
Oops!!! sorry I linked the wrong Mobo

Sorry, the mobo that I wanted to link was the ASUS P4B533 with the i845E (same chipset that our IT7-MAX). The BIOS v1011 for that ASUS motherboard supports Hyperthreading as you can read in the BIOS notes.

Also you can read this Press release from ASUS that presents HT support for ALL their i845E and i850E motherboards BIOS. Hey... that was more than one month ago!!!!! October 7th.

What is ABIT doing????? I don't understand why they are not giving us hypertreading support!!!! only enabled in their latest motherboards. The code that enables HT is the same for the i845E than for the i845PE so why they are not giving us support??

Regards
Oki

Last edited:

jdmcnudgent

Re: Oops!!! sorry I linked the wrong Mobo

Oki said:

What is ABIT doing????? I don't understand why they are not giving us hypertreading support!!!! only enabled in their latest motherboards. The code that enables HT is the same for the i845E than for the i845PE so why they are not giving us support??
they want you to spend more money on new mobos.;)

OP
O

Oki

Registered
As-Far-As-I-Know HT is supported for all 533MHz FSB P4 CPUs, so I am crying because I want HT enabled in my IT7 NOW!!!. If you are still in doubt about it you should see how to enable HT in a P4 2.4B processor (old Nothwood core) in this page.

I've tested HT improvements in SETI client using a Xeon system and the unit througput is increased from 40% to 70% thanks to Jackson technology (Intel renamed it to Hyperthreading, just marketing).

The main discussion is:Should Abit do as ASUS and release BIOSes for all the boards that have HT compatible hardware?

If you think so write here your point of view.

Regards
Oki

Last edited:

Renwick

Registered
Yes, I know that HT is present in all P4 models.

BTW I think Abit (and most of the leading manufacturers) will surely add HT support to their HT compatible motherboards, as soon as HT processors hit the market officially.
Remember, even if this feature can be controlled via the system BIOS, Intel is not stupid, so I think they will never let users to simply enable or disable the HT function of the older P4 CPUs.

regards

R.

chop

I would be extremely hacked off if Abit doesn't support HT with the IT7-Max 2 version1. I bought this board when it first came out (about two months ago). Anyone who tries to justify this with "technology is constantly changing" is crazy. A brand new board out in August-September time frame that doesn't support the latest processor is gross. Especially if the chipset on the board officially suports HT (according to Intel). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't HT supported by the 845e chipset? A BIOS change would allow you to take advantage of this if you are running this chipset? If all it is a BIOS update then shame on Abit for creating a whole new board two months later. That is criminal IMO. If this is Abits pattern then what's next? A whole new motherboard that supports a green backdrop in the BIOS screen instead of the standard blue one. They could call it the Abit IT7-Max2 version 3 (with green coloring). Next is the Abit IT7-Max2 version 4, which supports nothing but a new BIOS version. No more Abit for me if this is the case. That's bad business.

Renwick

Registered
Calm down dudes!

Nobody's saying that the IT7 (and BD7II) series will not support HT! I'm quite sure that Abit working on it, and the HT support will be added in the upcoming BIOS update.

You only need to change your motherboard when a new CPU has different physical/electronical characteristics (major differences in voltage/amperage requirement, different pin-out, etc), but this is surely not the case with HT enabled P4 processors.

Just be patient! :)

regards

R.

Last edited:

PIRATA!

Registered
Are you shure that ABIT, or other companies, would be interested in giving the HT support on old mobos when they would get more money forcing all you guys to buy a new mobo?
He... I have seen this before: its more common that someone goes to change its mono for some bios incompatibility instead of changing it for some real hardware incompatibility.
This means that those companies prefere to denie a bios release tha could probably solve some issues to force people change their hardware.
The BD7 and BE7 mobo series are a great example: there is no way that a bios mod could add some Vmem options. Why? Do you whant a mobo that has a bios that can be modded to obtain hight Vmem like Epox? Buy the IT7 series. DO you really think that its only luck? Naaa... its ABIT that has done that intentionally.
But there are even other cases refered to these mobos:
Do you whant HT enabled? Buy BE7 of IT7 MAX2 v2.0.
Do you whant to use PC3500 modules at hight requency and cas latency without having problems? Buy BE7 or IT7 MAX2 v2.0 that have a better memory bandwidth.

This is the world.

Last edited:

TheNEWB

WHAT?

I hope Abit integrates the HT option into the next BIOS for the IT7 Max because I just forked out $919.00 CA + Tax on an 3.06HT chip. I'm a system builder in Ontario and the only boards I use are Abit. If this issue is not resolved I will be switching to Asus, not that I'll make much of a difference but hey why do we fold right?

Anywhoo, thats my .02 worth.

Kam

Ghungha

Registered
MAC Address fills into UUID section in DMI data in order to pass WHQL.
Shows MAC Address of on board LAN Card in System Configuration section.
Shows "Award BIOS" on BIOS Setup Utility.(Used be "Work station BIOS")
4. Fixes Windows flash utility invalidity when using Hyper-Threading CPU.
Fixes issue where if the "Shutdown When CPU FAN Fail" option fails after about 16 minutes idling under Windows 2000/XP
HPT 374 BIOS Version 1.22.
BIOS compile Date: 11/06/2002.

But i couldn't download it yet

TheNEWB

Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Just noticed that the bios for the IT7Max 2 and IT7 are the same!!!! This means if on has HT support after a BIOS update the other one will also!!! heheheheheh, cant wait to get home and cook my BIOS some new capabilities :D

Peace Amigos!!

Kam