• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyperthreading Myth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hawk

I've heard alot about Hyper-Threading (HT) not being of much use currently to users. However; this is not the case The following text may shed a little light on the subject.
The boost provided by Hyper-Threading will be readily apparent to multi-taskers this year, and to those who use applications that have been optimized to take advantage of its processing muscle. That includes users of both Windows* XP* and some versions of the Linux* operating systems.
The computing power of the new processor will also pay big dividends for the mainstay applications of high-performance computing: sophisticated online gaming, video processing, and large graphic files. And of course, Hyper-Threading will allow users to run these applications simultaneously.
So if your thinking about a new CPU my advice is to go with the worlds leading edge in processing power the P4 with HT!

markodude

Nice company advertising Hawk, see you've been brainwashed by all the training sessions :D
You are surely the man to tell us about what is going on with all these low speed P4's popping up that support HT?
There are some 2.4's and 2.66's I have seen. Do you reckon that all C1 steppings will run HT in the appropriate motherboard (unlikely I know), or is it just the ES chips that have it enabled?
Any way of finding out if my new 2.53ES chip has HT b4 I buy a new HT mobo and find they dont?
TIA!!!!

markodude

Nice company advertising Hawk, see you've been brainwashed by all the training sessions :D
You are surely the man to tell us about what is going on with all these low speed P4's popping up that support HT?
There are some 2.4's and 2.66's I have seen. Do you reckon that all C1 steppings will run HT in the appropriate motherboard (unlikely I know), or is it just the ES chips that have it enabled?
Any way of finding out if my new 2.53ES chip has HT b4 I buy a new HT mobo and find they dont?
TIA!!!!

shortyes

Yes that was a nice slogan but the sad thing is that the general public will actually buy into that and think hmmm HT I must buy a 3ghz.

Joe Public is more into rumors and hype than spending a few hours to research.

Even with HT..how many people multi task? tI mean true multi task to take advantage of that 3% proformance increase?

HT application...the majority of the people have win 95, 98, win Me and win2k....

Not that many have win xp even though it is out for more than a 2 years.

For 500 dollars I can get myself caffinated for a few months at least..I say 4 months to 8 months ^^

litghost

HT is still a myth, show me evidence of a leap in preformance, and i trust you until then, HT is a myth

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
litghost said:
HT is still a myth, show me evidence of a leap in preformance, and i trust you until then, HT is a myth

Go over into the SETI forum; we've had people running 2 instances of SETI on P4 Xeons with HT and only a hit of about 20 minutes a WU. HT is no myth, it's just not *quite* as efficent/speedy as a dually setup.

shortyes said:

About a year and a month actually.

tbirdkiri

well its the same as smp (with the expception that smp does it better) with apps that arent multithreadable, well they will take the advantage that, if there is something else running it will run on the second instance (or processor in smp).

HT is great and all but by going to smp for me, i could run 2 instances of [email protected] on almost identical speed cpus as before with no loss in WU times. and im my avg is 4hrs a wu

OP
Hawk

Hawk

markodude said:
TIA!!!!
Yep brainwashed and loving it. :)
No the 3.06 is the first to have HT activated.

OP
Hawk

Hawk

shortyes said:
Yes that was a nice slogan but the sad thing is that the general public will actually buy into that and think hmmm HT I must buy a 3ghz.

Joe Public is more into rumors and hype than spending a few hours to research.

Even with HT..how many people multi task? tI mean true multi task to take advantage of that 3% proformance increase?

HT application...the majority of the people have win 95, 98, win Me and win2k....

For 500 dollars I can get myself caffinated for a few months at least..I say 4 months to 8 months ^^
Actuall HT has shown about 25% performance boost while multitasking, video processing, and working with large graphic files

imgod2u

Video, 3D and graphics apps are usually a set of algorithms applied to a huge data set. These applications are typically multithreaded so that they run better on multi-processor setups so a multithread capable MPU will also be able to run these multiple threads at the same time. Since each thread is independent, you no longer get data dependencies that halt the flow of instructions and a bigger set of instructions that can be processed in parallel. These applications are very SIMD friendly and very multithread friendly (that is, they can benefit greatly from both). Hence, the improvement in well-multithreaded applications such as DiVX encoding programs and 3dsmax.