• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyperthreading on P4 2.80C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daemoslives

Registered
Padded walls, straightjacket, sound familiar?
I've tried enabling hyperthreading on my pc, and in the BIOS its set enabled, but when i run sisoft sandra, it tells me HT is disabled.
System Config is as such.
p4 2.80C ghz
Intel D865PERL Motherboard w/ 800mhz fsb
512mb DDR400
Two Western Digital 20GB hdds running ata-100
nvidia geforce4 mx440 (yea i know, MAJOR bottleneck)
sb live 5.1 digital
Win98 SE

So, can I use hyperthreading in this configuration at all? or is windows 98 holding me back?

larva

Inactive Moderator
Win98 does not support multi-processing in any way, shape, or form (and HT is a form of multi-processing). You need XP for hyperthreading to work properly.

arklab

now i gotta fork out $100 for winxp home, or $150 for pro....

Not really ... :attn:

Since you are posting here, you have internet access.
Just download a reasonably high-end version of Linux. Most also support SMP (dual procs), although a few like Lindows don't.
Suse, Mandrake, RedHat, and others do. Just do a gogle search for the download of your choice.

Also, if you (or a relative, friend,) whatever is a student or teacher, you can obtain a legal upgrade copy of XP PRO for about $80. That's what I did, as my wife is a teacher and uses all our computers.
You WILL have to ask, though. These are seldome (if ever) out on the shelf. I used CompUSA.
Just searched and found this link for $99 XP Pro.
www.journeyed.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?UID=2003122923425264&GEN0=&GEN1=&GEN2=&GEN3=&GEN4=&GEN5=&GEN6=&GEN7=&GEN8=&GEN9=index2.html&TRAN85=Y&T1=55481723&FNM=00&UREQA=2&UREQB=1&UREQC=3&UREQD=4

Mind, I've never heard of these guys before, but there are a LOT out there.

And don't fret about the "upgrade" part. I always start with a fdisk'ed hard drive, begin the upgrade install, and when prompted insert an ME or SE CD. It just checks, then goes right ahead like a regular, full, clean XP install!

Hope this helps.

larva

Inactive Moderator
skab said:
Or windows 2000pro, that'sa what I'm running.
Hyperthreading works under 2000, but it doesn't work properly. Most 3D apps take a ~25% performance hit under 2K with HT enabled.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Sorry to slap you with more bad news, but multipliers are not adjustable on Intel chips, and that leaves the front side bus as your only overclocking option - unfortunately Intel mobo's don't have those options either. You need another board to do any overclocking.

SLee

daemoslives said:
another question, how would i go about overclocking a p4, this intel board is not exactly overclocking friendly....
all the multipliers are locked....

i tried softfsb, but the PLL chip isnt supported, is there a better program?
Which PLL is used by the MB? Some unsupported PLLs can still be adjusted if there's a close enough PLL.

SLee

daemoslives said:
The PLL for the Intel D865PERL motherboard is as follows.

This is what the chip reads.

ICS CJ360422
952618BF <--- I think this is the PLL number used in most FSB programs. Just scratch off the BF

Yep, that's right. I haven't seen the 952618 before, and there's virtually no information on it via Google. I have a Dell which uses the 952601, which is also said to be unmodifiable. However, using the instructions here:
http://www.redflagdeals.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=51779&hl=guide&s=
I can overclock the Dell.
If you can't reach the site for CPUCool, there's a mirror site at:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/podien/

GigaHertzAddict

I don't understand why someone would be using windows 98SE in 2004... It's really hard to swallow. Windows XP is leaps past win98... Not to mention you'll get more of your new CPU.

OP
daemoslives

daemoslives

Registered
Padded walls, straightjacket, sound familiar?
As it stands now, i've shelled out the cash for xp pro... but i still use good ole win98 as a secondary boot. I like the dual boot, and with 98 i can still play my good old classic DOS games. Tried them on XP and they dont work, even with the compatibility mode set.

tio

batboy said:
Don't you need XP Pro for Hyperthreading? I thought XP home wasn't optimized for HT.

This is a fairly common misconception.

Check this out: http://www.intel.com/support/platform/ht/os.htm?iid=ipp_htm+os&

And this: http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,3048,a=30903,00.asp

A quote from the second link:

Even a Microsoft Corp. executive admitted he was wrong when he told eWEEK that Windows XP Home Edition would not support hyperthreading, based on the fact that only XP Pro supports multiprocessors.

"Windows XP Home Edition does in fact support hyperthreading," said Greg Sullivan, lead product manager for Microsoft Windows XP. "While Windows XP Home does not support multiple physical processors, it does support the multiple virtual or logical CPUs enabled by Intel's P4 and hyperthreading."