• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hyperthreading on the cheap... now... ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fishfish

Ok... if you want hyperthreading we got cheap motherboards and a damn expensive cpu to go with it (the 3.06GHz p4) or expensive motherboards and some more resonable priced cpu's (p4 xeon... at least the 512kB ones up to 2.4GHz). Intel made two form factors for (basically) the same cpu, s478 and s603, so that we wouldn't use the cheaper s478 cpu's in dual configuration, but that's not what I want to do... Making s603 to s478 converter should be possible, with this being basically the same cpu, shouldn't it? Though this isn't a straigth forward mod... I would need some parts and the knowledge (hehe... :confused: ).

What do you think, running a s603 cpu on a s478 motherboard, is it possible?

Powerleap and others... where are you? Give me what I want... now! hehe :D

Not even sure if it's even worth it... if possible...

ah well... just something I had on my mind.

i guess it could be possible, if you found a chart that showed the layout of the pins for both processors, and made your adaptor accordingly.

It does look like the slug on the Xeon CPU is identical to a 478 pin P4, just mounted on Intel's PCB that converts the chip to 603 pin. But trying to do any surgery to the chip would be impossible. A convertor might work (if some manufacturer were to build one), but would be extremely hard to build and the increased trace lengths would probably make things hellishly buggy.

You could try extracting the slug itself off the Xeon CPU, but I highly doubt there are pins on the CPU itself (as there are on a P4), and more likely that the CPU itself is soldered directly to the Xeon PCB. May be possible by removing the 478 pin socket off of a motherboard and soldering each of the 478 pin locations (solder pads) to the motherboard, but that seems highly unlikely to be successful (outside of a manufacturing plant anyway).

fishfish said:
Ok... if you want hyperthreading we got cheap motherboards and a damn expensive cpu to go with it (the 3.06GHz p4) or expensive motherboards and some more resonable priced cpu's (p4 xeon... at least the 512kB ones up to 2.4GHz)...

Just so a bunch of you guys don't go out and ruin your CPU's trying something. I just thought I'd let you know that all of the 533Mhz bus speed P4's are hyperthreading capable. It's the chipset and bios on your motherboard that defines wether or not you'll be able to enable hyperthreading.

Crystalmethod, HT is locked and unusable on P4's (all but some of the Engineering Sample P4's) below 3.06ghz.
Although the functionality is actually on the chip, it is not possible to enable it regardless of the m/board you have, HT capable or not.

markodude said:
Crystalmethod, HT is locked and unusable on P4's (all but some of the Engineering Sample P4's) below 3.06ghz.
Although the functionality is actually on the chip, it is not possible to enable it regardless of the m/board you have, HT capable or not.

You need to pay more attention at the Intel conferences. They said All the P4's with the 533 bus are hyprethreading capable. I may be wrong but I'll ask again on the 15th during the fall conference.

Back