• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyperthreading worth the extra cost?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JML

I've been looking at a 2500+ Barton (a mere $90 on newegg) vs a 2.6c P4 ($170, almost double the price of the Barton).

Is the hyperthreading noticeable in every day applications and general windows use?

JML said:
I've been looking at a 2500+ Barton (a mere $90 on newegg) vs a 2.6c P4 ($170, almost double the price of the Barton).

Is the hyperthreading noticeable in every day applications and general windows use?

no :p I see no difference, the apps I run are internet, games, music, e-mail, and occasional video editing. In fact with win 2k I see it being faster with it turned off :-/, however If you have XP it should work fine even on Home because that is the os it was made for.

i heard with video editing and stuff, some people say they saw up to 30% speed increase... it really depends on what your doing.

Doesn't seem like it's really worth the extra $80. Guess I'll stick with AMD :)

It really depends on what you use your computer for. If you're just using it for browsing and occasionally gaming then I doubt you'll notice the difference. If you do a lot of video/sound editing or folding then yes it would be worth it IMO. :)

Who would try to encode a video while playing a game anyway? Its nice that you can but...it just seems like I'd be doing a half assed job of both of them.

are you planing on buying all new components?

-if not

what components are you planing on keeping?

Thinkin about it as a xmas present. I'm not sure what board I want, though I'd like it to have SATA RAID (can windows boot from a SATA RAID set-up?), and have a 400FSB. To go w/ the mobo, Corsair XMS PC3200 512MB ram, and maybe two of those new WD 10,000 RPM SATA drives >=-)

There's prob some other crap I want I can't think of at the moment cause I'm exhausted. I'd appreciate motherboard suggestions though

Whos looking @ zabomb's sig when you can look at his avatar :p

Anyways ... I think he means the 8RDA+ ... 240 is good cept the 7 multiplier :(

I got my 2.4C --> 3.1Ghz 100% stable on stock cooling.

Back