• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I <3 Team Fortress 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Naked Mole Rat

So who here <3's Team Fortress 2? In so much as that it's your staple, and you either play this and nothing else, or always go back to it even after taking a break and playing other games.

I'm really playing the game for the first time since reinstalling it about 2 years after giving it a brief glance when I originally bought the Orange Box. I just wasn't into MP online games at that time (after taking a break from gaming).

I've been playing TF2 now for the past couple weeks every night and have pushed aside other games like Fallout 3 and Left4Dead (even though the latter deserves great props too, I was getting a little bored of it, even though it's solely responsible for getting me back into MP online games with such fervor since CS).

I love the artistic style of this version of TF2. I remember playing original TF and that was fun, but this is so much better (for more reasons than just graphics). But the artistic style of TF2 suspends belief a bit and just makes the game more relaxed or something. Not as serious maybe, even though you play seriously, it adds a little levity or something. The animations are great and the little bit of humor makes the game so enjoyable.

While the graphics are great, and the maps are fun and varied, it's all about the classes! (and teamwork of course!).

I love the Medic! And organizing other medics to try and get 2 to 3 ubers going at the same time, though it's hard to do it consistently. I love being close to the front lines, healing everyone, then ubering a pyro, demo or heavy and pushing forward. Great stuff. And then when I'm alone or no one close to heal, and enemies are near, killing them with my sawblade! Nothing beats an enemy getting up close and personal and you switching to the sawblade and taking them out in 1 or 2 hits.

I have yet to play Spy very successfully yet! :-/ But once I do, I think that'll be my other favorite class to play as I love stealthy games. I just have a little trepidation in selecting him all the time because I am not confident in what to do. Do I chose a friendly disguise, get close to the base, then duck behind something, cloak, choose an enemy disguise and then work on acquiring targets and backstabbing? I just don't feel sure of myself in how to approach and play this class. But I want to so bad! I'll just have to man-up one night and get some experience under the belt. I know you can play different ways but this is the only class that messes with me heheheh.

I haven't played Scout as it seems like a twitch class to me, but maybe that's a bad assumption. I'm not sure how good I will be double jumping and running around like a madman. But I'll try it eventually! It seems like hellafun to play especially when you can stun enemies with a bat.

I also enjoy the demoman and engie, though I haven't mastered them either.

Oh and I love Pyro! I love hiding around a corner when a bunch of enemies are coming or gathered, and they don't know I'm there initially, and then just rushing in and causing panic setting them all on fire! And spy checking is great fun too and burning them to crisps! I heard you can airblast enemies? Is that an unlockable because I tried pushing button 2 on my mouse and nothing happened.

I love the teamwork in this game. Not many arseholes acting like idiots. Voice is great. I don't talk much, but when I do I try to make it count.

I haven't played ANY CTF maps yet, but can't wait to try. I've just been hitting whatever servers I can just to learn and play, not paying attention to maps as much as I am how to play the classes. I also prefer official maps and vanilla as possible.

So who else here LOVES this game and what's your favorite class(es), map(s), game modes, servers, etc. ????

hajalie24

I thought it was a waste of my money, it feels like any other first person shooter where you run and shoot. Maybe I just haven't played it too much, probably because of left 4 dead

Leviathan41

I <3 TF2 also!

It really is a pinnacle in multiplayer gaming. It has everything I'm looking for in a game which is why I have been playing it since it was in open beta in October 2007 and have hundreds of hours of playtime.

It's easy to pick up and get into but hard to master.
It's VERY balanced for a game with 9 very unique classes most with unlockable weapons.
The art style and atmosphere is fantastic and ensures the game will look good for years to come.
Each of the characters have TONS or personality. They are not just unnamed soldiers whose only difference is the fact that they have different guns. They are all extremely different and with HUNDREDS of lines of unique (and hilarious) dialogue. You can clearly see and hear who is around you.
It's all built on the awesome platform that is Steam: one-click to join your friends' games, stat tracking, hundreds of achievements, automatic updating, free weekends, etc. etc. etc.

Tsnowflake

I <3 TF2 also!

It really is a pinnacle in multiplayer gaming. It has everything I'm looking for in a game which is why I have been playing it since it was in open beta in October 2007 and have hundreds of hours of playtime.

It's VERY balanced for a game with 9 very unique classes most with unlockable weapons.
The art style and atmosphere is fantastic and ensures the game will look good for years to come.
Each of the characters have TONS or personality. They are not just unnamed soldiers whose only difference is the fact that they have different guns. They are all extremely different and with HUNDREDS of lines of unique (and hilarious) dialogue. You can clearly see and hear who is around you.
It's all built on the awesome platform that is Steam: one-click to join your friends' games, stat tracking, hundreds of achievements, automatic updating, free weekends, etc. etc. etc.

a major +1 to this

TF2 = win

PhysX

I like TF2, but im gewttting sooooo sick of the new system, i have gotten items i have already, upto 5 of the same item...

OP
Naked Mole Rat

Naked Mole Rat

I <3 TF2 also!

ha, yeah, you said it best! :D

shadin

TF2 is awesome. Unfortunately I didn't know anyone that played when I first got the Orange Box so I'm just recently giving it a go, which means I suck hard and everyone else is awesome, haha. Other than that though I've had a really good time with it.

Oh, and welcome to OCForums, Mole Rat. Love the avatar, haha.

:welcome:

ratbuddy

I thought it was a waste of my money, it feels like any other first person shooter where you run and shoot. Maybe I just haven't played it too much, probably because of left 4 dead

TF2 is like L4D except with variety and fun. If you like L4D we probably can't help you.

CharmyBee

Registered
TF2 is like L4D

But L4D is like every FPS but with all the variety removed.

TF2 isn't like anything. It's a sequel of the original team FPS concept that also wasn't like anything in its day. If anything, it's like TF.

Random weapons are weird.

shard

I <3 TF2 also!

Yup.

Angel-of-Sorrow

I like TF2, but im gewttting sooooo sick of the new system, i have gotten items i have already, upto 5 of the same item...

Luckily they added Milestones tonight. Shame that you know, I already had everything. Of course, not anything I actually wanted; I.E Fancy Fedora.

ratbuddy

But L4D is like every FPS but with all the variety removed.

TF2 isn't like anything. It's a sequel of the original team FPS concept that also wasn't like anything in its day. If anything, it's like TF.

Random weapons are weird.

Quoting 4 words of a 9 word sentence is weird too. You responded as though I said the complete opposite of what I actually did.

Dapman02

TF2 is my personal addiction. I love it because of the balance, and the name of the game is adaptablility.
If there are a ton of people on the bridge, best thing to do is become a scout, run on top of the roof and get behind them and take them out.
If there are a ton of snipers, be a sniper and take them out.

rumbl3

I spend 90% of my gaming time on tf2 i bought it when the orange box went 9.99 just a few weeks ago. I should of bought the game a long LONG time ago. But i was busy with other games at the time (i think cod 4). but anyway i like it so much lol i play on the 5egc servers and donate for a reserve slot lol. Just because there servers are nice and smooth and they have i believe 10 of them 32 player.

Most of the time i play engi lol.

shard

I play just about everyday, sometimes I play for 30min, sometimes I play for 6hrs. That is something I love with the game, no matter when, where, or for how long, I have tons and tons of fun with this game.

OP
Naked Mole Rat

Naked Mole Rat

could I get some advice on playing the spy? i'm still learning to play.

is it better to choose a friendly disguise when leaving your base, then when you get near the enemy's base, cloak and then change to an enemy disguise? because that's what i'm doing now. i see some people choose an enemy disguise soon as they leave the base.

also can you bind a disguise to a key instead of having to press 4, click the mouse, then click a disguise?