• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I <3 Team Fortress 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Do not disguise when leaving your base cause you can be seen period, people who do this are often dead fast, as soon as i see someone i report it to my team or i kill them.

I often leave my base as a spy, let someone see me, go ahead cause once i get to an area of action i am cloaked and no one knows i am there anyways. But people know i play spy over on 3-pg.com so you often get the paranoid pyro's just running around, but they do that anyways cause most pyros have no skill and just spray and pray.

i only turn on my disguise while i am cloaked or hidden away from my base.

If you hit B it disguises you as your last one.

Things not to disguise as

1. Scout - they run fast
2. Medic - they also run faster then normal

Demo, Pyro and engi are the most common, i use all 3. if i am trying to sap and engi's stuff, i go engi, if i want to kill people i go demo or pyro, sometimes i throw in soldier, but since they run slow like the heavy it can be a pain to get people.

Know maps well and where ammo drops are, many stock maps i can get from one side to the other entirely cloaked cause i hit all the ammo packs on the way.

if your cloak runs out, dont hide in the nearest corner if someone has seen you, too obvious.

If you have any new acheivments, the new watch that recharges while your still is nice, when i run out or get close, i stop in the middle of the open, and if someone is ghetting clos as i recharge i move out of the way, if it is one person i let them pass and backstab em.

OP
Naked Mole Rat

Naked Mole Rat

thanks for the tips!

i haven't tried sapping yet. i'm just trying to get down the whole cloaking/disguising part as I'm still trying to stab while cloaked, and forgetting to hide/redisguise or cloak after stabbing.

gotta work out the nervous jitters!

GBH

I love to change into a demo and let someone see me from far away then cloak and change into something else.

Mr Guvernment's tips are spot on too

Best thing is practice. It will be fustrating when you just start out as a spy but once you become decent its the best fun.

hajalie24

I thought it was a waste of my money, it feels like any other first person shooter where you run and shoot. Maybe I just haven't played it too much, probably because of left 4 dead

I take back what I said, yesterday I played it a lot and now I am strangely addicted.... I love playing as spy.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Game is pretty good. I was very hardcore tfc player (5yrs or so of leagues). So making the change to what I still feel is dumbed down compared to the high movement speeds and concing in tfc is disappointing. I'm pretty much playing soldier (as I did in tfc) or sniper (still trying to get used to shooting arrows) but a spy has always interested me, just never got good at it - at all.

OP
Naked Mole Rat

Naked Mole Rat

i've been playing Spy more and I love it. Now, I'm not great, and I still get antsy and want to kill everyone I come across, but I'm getting the disguise-stab(s)-cloak thing down.

I think 2Fort is my favorite map. Nothing like sneaking into the enemy's intel and making it at least to the courtyard with it. I haven't played Well yet.

And of course sappin sentries is hellafun and I think that should be any spy's primary responsibility. I try to make it mine. Sap sentries then head to the intel.

I've also been playing engie and enjoy that class too.

I think Spy, engie, medic and pyro are my favorites.

Anyone here prefer one gameplay type (ctf, cp) or map over another or do you enjoy them all?

Leviathan41

I prefer CP maps (both the standard 5-point CP and the more interesting ones like Dustbowl and Gravelpit). I also like Payload sometimes, I haven't really liked double payload so far, maybe I will change my mind though. I play CTF occasionally, I like ctf_turbine better than 2fort and very rarely play Arena Mode.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
2fort is a pretty unbalanced map -- as it was in TFC, it is very very defense friendly and is extremely difficult to cap on if you don't have a lot of teamwork along with a respawn timer.

Tsnowflake

while we're talkin maps;

maps i like:
well (cp)
goldrush (pl)
dustbowl (cp)
fastlane (cp)
lumbermill (arena)
nucleus (arena)

2fort occasionally. When I first got the game, I was addicted to 2fort, now I can only take it in small dosages.

Marshmallow64

I like all the Pl maps. Badwater is my favorite. Pl to me is the most fun type of map, then control point makes such as 2fort and dustbowl.

Arena is kinda boring to me.

OP
Naked Mole Rat

Naked Mole Rat

I've been a part of a lot of good teams playing 2fort recently... until last night.

I frequent the No Heroes 2fort (fast respawn) server and when I logged in last night on the Red team, we were down 2-0. I check the scoreboard and wouldn't you know the reason why is because we have 4 engies, spies and snipers. Maybe 1 demo and a couple pyros. Whoop-de-doo! No medics, heavies or soldiers. No scouts either. About 5 minutes later Blue caps again and we lose.

So I stick around and this time suggest we have too many engies but no one wants to here that. I switch to Medic since we don't have any. I think we get a solider, but again, we lose, 3 zip.

FINALLY, after like an hour, we get some decent players and a good balanced team. Unfortunately Blue capped before the team really started to gel so it was an uphill battle that we eventually lost, though we put up a good fight. I got to play heavy with a decent crits medic and we were able to cap once I believe.

Now, I don't expect everyone that plays this game to know how to play, but common sense should always prevail - when you are down 2-0, and you have 4 engies, no medics, no offense, something's not right.

People need to learn to change class - adapt or die. You gotta change based on the situation. If you're intel is in the courtyard - go defense and defend that sucker! Don't leave just a heavy (me) to defend it alone! Without a medic!

But luckily I've been a part of some great 2fort matches where no one has capped or it takes like 3 hours to win a round. lol

god i love this game.

radium

No offense, but hearing about someone elses' anecdote about a video game is probably one of the most mind numbing things ever. You really just have to be there to experience it. :)

In my experience in TF2, people play whatever class they have fun on regardless of the objectives. Trying to tell pugs what classes to pick, and general strategy is exceptionally futile

OP
Naked Mole Rat

Naked Mole Rat

No offense, but hearing about someone elses' anecdote about a video game is probably one of the most mind numbing things ever. You really just have to be there to experience it. :)

In my experience in TF2, people play whatever class they have fun on regardless of the objectives. Trying to tell pugs what classes to pick, and general strategy is exceptionally futile

No offense, but an unnecessary response like yours that doesn't contribute to the conversation is what's mind numbing. SMILEY!

I never said I told anyone what class to pick nor did I say anything about strategy. Did you actually read what I took the time to thoughtfully type out? Apparently not. You probably just skimmed and decided to be contrary for the sake of it.

Kibokun

No offense, but an unnecessary response like yours that doesn't contribute to the conversation is what's mind numbing. SMILEY!

I never said I told anyone what class to pick nor did I say anything about strategy. Did you actually read what I took the time to thoughtfully type out? Apparently not. You probably just skimmed and decided to be contrary for the sake of it.

Someone's hot headed.

Anyway, people definitely will play the classes they enjoy. If someone hates playing medic, why would you expect them to play medic? Sure, it could be better for the team, but people play the game to have fun, in the first place. :) Winning should be secondary. If it isn't to you, then you did the right thing and changed classes yourself, but that's all that you can expect from others and of the situation.

OP
Naked Mole Rat

Naked Mole Rat

Someone's hot headed.

Anyway, people definitely will play the classes they enjoy. If someone hates playing medic, why would you expect them to play medic? Sure, it could be better for the team, but people play the game to have fun, in the first place. :) Winning should be secondary. If it isn't to you, then you did the right thing and changed classes yourself, but that's all that you can expect from others and of the situation.

Not hot headed, just don't appreciate the slight disrespect when the classic "no offense, but" excuse-to-offend disclaimer is used especially when it's followed by something that has nothing to do with what i"m talking about.

Winning isn't secondary for everyone. To say everyone's there to have fun and doesn't care about winning is a bad assumption to make. There are plenty of people that say "move up", "rush", "refresh the intel", "we need more medics", "we need less snipers", etc. who are playing, having fun and at the same time helping the team win. And most people who play the game,who are into the game, and are team players will heed those words of wisdom.

You can play to have fun AND play to win. They go hand-in-hand. How do you play to win and not have fun doing it? It's a team and goal oriented game where the object is to win.

It's not Quake.

Kibokun

I think you missed my point. What about people who would not have fun following the directions that would benefit the team winning? The fact that not everyone is there to just have fun goes hand in hand with the fact that not everyone is there to win. Who's opinion should get precedence? I don't believe we can answer that question because, as you said, people play for different reasons.

Neither winning nor fun is the absolute be-all, end-all goal for every player. Since it's not possible to quantify a majority between the two sides, we can't begin to say one is right and one is wrong. When I play TF2, I try to suggest what the team needs, and if people don't want to do it, I don't really mind, because it was a request. It's never my place to mandate the fun of my co-players.

Marshmallow64

Some people play to get objectives and achievements, while others are there to win. For some getting the new sniper and spy achievements are fun regardless of if their team is winning or losing.

While for others winning the match and coordinating good teamwork is fun. What kibokun is saying is that the definition of fun is different for everybody.

OP
Naked Mole Rat

Naked Mole Rat

I think you missed my point. What about people who would not have fun following the directions that would benefit the team winning? The fact that not everyone is there to just have fun goes hand in hand with the fact that not everyone is there to win. Who's opinion should get precedence? I don't believe we can answer that question because, as you said, people play for different reasons.

Neither winning nor fun is the absolute be-all, end-all goal for every player. Since it's not possible to quantify a majority between the two sides, we can't begin to say one is right and one is wrong. When I play TF2, I try to suggest what the team needs, and if people don't want to do it, I don't really mind, because it was a request. It's never my place to mandate the fun of my co-players.

OK let me say it this way :)

If we don't have any medics, and we're losing the round, after I suggest someone goes medic, I'm sure there's someone playing that doesn't mind switching. Not everyone hates medic and not everyone likes losing.

All I was getting at is that most people, not everyone, should learn to change class when the team needs it. If there are no medics for example, then it would be nice if someone switched if asked politely. If no one does, I'll switch. I'm the consummate teammate, what can I say ;) (no, really, I am.)

I never said, and I don't expect, people should stop having fun playing a certain class and switch to a class they don't like because I or anyone else said so.

But let's face it, at the end of the day, why did we buy this game? Because it's a team game. It's not about you, or me, it's about the team. Otherwise, why are you playing if you don't care about the team? That's just not cool. It's like joining a pug in WOW and doing your own thing or playing L4D and running all the way to the safe room ruining the experience for those who are there to play as a team.

All I'm saying is that others should be somewhat respectful that maybe there are others there who want to play the game the way it was intended to be played.

It's not like this is Quake and we're trying to force people to play as a team.

OP
Naked Mole Rat

Naked Mole Rat

or some people just play to **** off people like naked

heheheh and I ran into such a case the other night when an engie decided to build a teleport on the battlements where the snipers strafe. Snipers were teleporting accidentally. I and someone else said at first politely to remove it, the person didn't care.

That's the worst of it, and a rare case that I've found. Luckily, most times I play people are team oriented.

I'm just saying that people should learn to adapt to the situation and change class for the team. 5 minutes of playing heavy to protect a cap or the intel isn't going to damage your psyche the rest of your natural born life!!! lol

:beer: