• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am at such a loss with this...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlowBurn

I hope someone can shed some light on this problem I'm having because it's driving me nuts. I have 2 CPU temps in my Bios, one for Core and one for Surface. At this present time, for those 2 temps at idle, my Surface is 39C, but my Core is 58C! I have tried everything I can think of. I have cleaned and remounted the HS and chip 4 times, each time applying more AS3. Everytime I start it up.... and I look at the Bios, the Surface is fine, but my core is sometimes as high as 25 more than the surface. The weird thing is, the program that came with my MB (Hardware Monitor) only monitors the surface temp, and doesn't even mention the core. I even waited a few hours to see how high it would get, and it went to 68C. I immediately turned it off, took off the HS, and felt the core. It wasn't that warm, but I'm not exactly sure how 68C/155F is supposed to feel. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do, or if I shouldn't be concerned? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edit: Forgot to mention that my vcore is 1.85, and my DDR is 2.65. The HS is lapped too.

Last edited:

cullam3n

It's ok for the core to be that high. The core always work at around 20C higher than the surface core, this is normal. Don't worry about it.

-PC

OP
SlowBurn

SlowBurn

Cullam3n said:
It's ok for the core to be that high. The core always work at around 20C higher than the surface core, this is normal. Don't worry about it.

-PC

Well that's a load off my mind, thanks Cullam3n... I can now sleep soundly tonight :D

Freeloader

Some motherboards report high temps for the on die reading. Flashing the bios may help reduce the variance with the in socket reading but doesn't change the actual temp. Since your using a good heatsink and fan, there is not much else to do.

Your case temp seems quite high, but that may be just the sensor. Try running the computer with the side cover off and see if case and cpu temps improve. Download mbm to read on die temps in windows.

The important thing with temps is to know what they represent. Even though your temps show 68C, the computer may remain stable until 88C, while another computer may show 38C, but crashes at 48C. Download prime95 and test your computer for stability.

OP
SlowBurn

SlowBurn

Freeloader said:
Some motherboards report high temps for the on die reading. Flashing the bios may help reduce the variance with the in socket reading but doesn't change the actual temp. Since your using a good heatsink and fan, there is not much else to do.

Your case temp seems quite high, but that may be just the sensor. Try running the computer with the side cover off and see if case and cpu temps improve. Download mbm to read on die temps in windows.

The important thing with temps is to know what they represent. Even though your temps show 68C, the computer may remain stable until 88C, while another computer may show 38C, but crashes at 48C. Download prime95 and test your computer for stability.

I forgot to mention my case is in a cabinet right now with the door open so that could be contributing to my higher case temps.

About MBM that's what I was using to monitor the Core/On Die readings. I was just about to post a screenshot of MBM and Hardware Monitor showing the temps when I saw the post from Cullam3n.

I have run Prime95 for 10 hours with no errors at this clock speed, so I was even thinking of going higher, but after seeing my core temps I stopped. I thought I was in danger of burning up this chip.

I was talking to someone who suggested I might think about putting some more fans in my case to help with cooling. Right now I have 2 80mm for Intakes (TT Smart Fan IIs) pushing roughly 70 CFM a piece, 2 80 mm Tri LED for Exhaust pushing about 30 CFM a piece, and a blow hole pushing maybe 35 CFM. Is this sufficient, or should I get something more?

Freeloader

Judging by what you described, I would say your case venting is fine. You might want to place the case outside the cabinet though, as alot of the air is probably being recycled.

I have run Prime95 for 10 hours with no errors at this clock speed, so I was even thinking of going higher, but after seeing my core temps I stopped. I thought I was in danger of burning up this chip.

I would go ahead and crank up the speed. Prime 95 will give you an error long before the chip overheats at 1.85 volts.

OP
SlowBurn

SlowBurn

Freeloader said:
Judging by what you described, I would say your case venting is fine. You might want to place the case outside the cabinet though, as alot of the air is probably being recycled.

Well instead of putting the case outside of the cabinet, I was just going to cut out the entire back... but then I realized that the cabinet is in front of the baseboard heat... I can't win :(