• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am having issues finding compatible RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michaelm525

I currently have an ASUS x99-A motherboard. I bought some RAM thinking it would fit but, it turns out it isn't compatible. So, I went online to find the supported RAM here ( https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99A/HelpDesk_QVL/ ) and have also been using the 'find it' tool on New Eggs website. The issue I am having is that some of the RAM listed on the find it tool is not on the support RAM list.

So, I tried using the pcpartpicker website and I am having the same issue. In fact, PC part picker shows the ram I had originally bought as compatible (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16).

My questions

- Is the supported list of RAM on newegg incorrect and I should be using only what is on the ASUS website?

- I currently have 2 8g sticks in there (BLS8G4D240FSA.16FAR), do I have to match these?

SPECS:

ASUS X99-A
Intel 17-5820K CPU 3.3 GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 CORE
Windows 10

Stick with the motherboard's QVL...

If you are adding to the existing RAM, ideally you get two more of the exact same sticks. If you can't do that, get a set with matching timings and voltage.

You also may need to add some system agent voltage for the additional sticks.

Okay thank you for the advice. part of the issue I am seeing is that the only way I can find that RAM is refurbished online because I'm assuming it's older. Should I be worried about using refurbished RAM?

I've generally not had issues with refurbished stuff. Often times, it's just been returned by people who decided they wanted something different or were technological nincompoops who didn't know what they were doing and concluded it was a bad component. Presumably, it has been tested before being resold.

This motherboard supports without problems 4 and 8GB modules up to at least DDR4-3200. Crucial memory is usually compatible with everything and its price isn't high so to avoid any problems I would simply order 4x8GB of Ballistix Sport LT between 2666 and 3200. If it won't work at 3200 then you can always set a lower clock.
You can also try 2x8GB from Crucial at the same specs as your memory. If you make it work then no problem, if not then you can order the same product number as a second 2x8GB. Crucial always uses the same memory chips and memory profiles under the same product number.

Thank you. If that's the case that I'm not sure why the RAM I already bought doesn't work. It's at 3200. The current ram I have in there is at 2400, maybe 3200 is too high?

First, when you say the new RAM is "incompatible" what do you mean? The machine won't boot? The machine is unstable? or, "The machine won't run at the full advertised speed of the RAM?

Second, it is usually not a good idea to mix and match RAM. That's the first thing I would say.

Third, if you take the old RAM out and put in only the new RAM, does the new RAM work by itself?

When I say incompatible I mean that when I go into BIOS it does not show the RAM sticks. I bought a pair of crucial sticks at the same megahertz and size and now when I put both of those in it only shows one of them. so now I am showing three eight gb sticks instead of the four eight gb sticks that are plugged in. I've tried every configuration of sticks that I can think of so I know that the ports on the motherboard aren't bad I also did a mem check and I know that the memory sticks are in bad. When I use CPU-z it does show all four sticks. I am thinking there's some setting in my bios that is preventing the system from seeing all of the sticks but I cannot find it.

To reiterate, CPU-Z shows all four sticks. When I go into the BIOS it only shows three sticks. Any thoughts on what I need to do in my bios?

I'm going to echo that mixing the 2400 RAM with the 3200 RAM sounds like a bad idea. For clarification, did you try the two 3200 sticks without the 2400 sticks? Did it work?

The very best that you *might* be able to do is to install the 2400 sticks in the "1st" slots as defined by your MB manual and the 3200 sticks in the secondary slots. This should underclock the 3200's to 2400 and may give you compatibility. If the 3200's are trying to get the 2400's to run at 3200, it'll never work out without some overclocking skills and tactics. That's *if* the two will work together at all.

In creasing the System Agent Voltage buttresses the integrated memory controller (IMC) by giving it a little more juice.

Back