• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am looking for a PC upgrade, help is more than welcome!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well you have a CRT right? Maybe thats why . I wouldnt exactly know why it would give you a different resolution in a game and on the desktop cause 1600x1200 is way higher then 1280x1024, maybe its different with some old crt's, i dont know.Maybe someone can chime in on this

Yes, I have a CRT monitor :D

Oh wait... Whe you did a right click on the desktop was the game still loaded???

No. I first went in game and checked resolution settings. I found 1600x1200, which is also the highest amount possible in SWAT4 (I didn't play with it or anything, I just found this as the highest resolution). Then I shut down the game and right clicked on the desktop and it gave the other value.

To find out your highest resolution for your monitor, go to your desktop, right click, pull up properties to get your video properties control panel. Then click on the "settings" tab -- and look at the slider. The right most position will tell you the highest resolution your monitor will go.

Or look at the exact maker/model number and type it into google and look it up.

To find out your highest resolution for your monitor, go to your desktop, right click, pull up properties to get your video properties control panel. Then click on the "settings" tab -- and look at the slider. The right most position will tell you the highest resolution your monitor will go.

Yea thats what he did. Whats weird is this game hes using lets his system go up double the resolution.

thanks m8.

that will be 1280x1024. What a shame, so I will not pull out everything of my system I guess. Well I will by a new monitor later then.

What a shame, so I will not pull out everything of my system I guess. Well I will by a new monitor later then.
What do you mean? Your saying this cause of the game allowed a higher resolution, your still using all your systems ability?Something isnt right, there isnt suppose to be a different resolution in the game.

And if you think your gonna buy a new monitor pick it out now an will help you with a videocard that can give you hte best quality picture on it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the upgrade cycle! All you need to play the game is huge wads of cash :)

A new mobo/CPU will be great fun and powerful, able to OC a lot, but if you use it for playing games, then you'll really need a bigger monitor to take advantage of it.

Welcome to the upgrade cycle! All you need to play the game is huge wads of cash :)

A new mobo/CPU will be great fun and powerful, able to OC a lot, but if you use it for playing games, then you'll really need a bigger monitor to take advantage of it.

Lol? You can use that monitor for a while just plan figure out what monitor you will be buying for sure.

Yeah I will do that. 1280x1024 is oke for now, why not.
Yea, nothin to worry about. Your computer wouldnt succesfully perform at 1600x1200 anyway Youll see more of 1680x1050 on 20in widescreen and up. So are you gonna pick out a monitor now so you can get the right video card for it planning ahead?

Yea, nothin to worry about. Your computer wouldnt succesfully perform at 1600x1200 anyway Youll see more of 1680x1050 on 20in widescreen and up. So are you gonna pick out a monitor now so you can get the right video card for it planning ahead?

I think I will spare the money the monitor with new year or something... :p A monitor costs like 130 euros? so like 150 dollars?

I think I will spare the money the monitor with new year or something... :p A monitor costs like 130 euros? so like 150 dollars?
Well if you dont pick out your videocard for your monitor, even if its a year ahead , your gonna end up spending even more money buying a videocard that can handle your resolution on the monitor you buy or dealing with lower quality picture and keeping the old card???
Or.. You can look at it like this, if you buy a 512mb card you cant play at a higher resolution then 1680x1050.

Point is - with your current monitor the mobo/CPU/4870 set-up is crazy overkill for video gaming. Crazy overkill is fun though.

So are you thinking -- get this set up now and OC/crank it up, upgrade your monitor next year when you have the cash?

Point is - with your current monitor the mobo/CPU/4870 set-up is crazy overkill for video gaming. Crazy overkill is fun though.

So are you thinking -- get this set up now and OC/crank it up, upgrade your monitor next year when you have the cash?
True. I mean if the monitor doesnt bother you then do it. But if i were you i would be buying a monitor to and all that new stuff is overkill for the resolution your monitor can handle. Agreed. But if you dont mind it and know your buying a new monitor go for it, thats your choice. And if your not planning on buying a monitor all the upgrades are a complete waste.

True. I mean if the monitor doesnt bother you then do it. But if i were you i would be buying a monitor to and all that new stuff is overkill for the resolution your monitor can handle. Agreed. But if you dont mind it and know your buying a new monitor go for it, thats your choice. And if your not planning on buying a monitor all the upgrades are a complete waste.

I know it is overkill as long as I don't buy a new monitor. But howmany resolution steps are between 1280x1024 and 1680x1050?

I could view it from 2 angles, buy a videocard which handles 1280x1024 very well with GOOD fps on that resolution, standard min. of 125fps in CoD5 or so. This will save me hopefully money.

Though, I might buy a monitor in the future and then I have a real good pc, instead of limiting everything to the monitor now. Because if I don't upgrade my monitor, I will buy an older / cheaper videocard, this will be my limiting factor then, so then I can also buy an older / cheaper motherboard and downgrade everything to my monitor settings. The bad consequence is that the system will get sooner outdated.

My suggestion: Play with 1280x1024 though its overkill now, I know I have a system which can get along quite a time, and I can always buy the monitor later. If I would downgrade my stuff to the monitor, that would be stupid because I would get an outdated system sooner and need to spend a lot of money in a shorter amount of time.

Am I correct guys? :) Is my argument coherent and solid? :D

I know it is overkill as long as I don't buy a new monitor. But howmany resolution steps are between 1280x1024 and 1680x1050?

I could view it from 2 angles, buy a videocard which handles 1280x1024 very well with GOOD fps on that resolution, standard min. of 125fps in CoD5 or so. This will save me hopefully money.

Though, I might buy a monitor in the future and then I have a real good pc, instead of limiting everything to the monitor now. Because if I don't upgrade my monitor, I will buy an older / cheaper videocard, this will be my limiting factor then, so then I can also buy an older / cheaper motherboard and downgrade everything to my monitor settings. The bad consequence is that the system will get sooner outdated.

My suggestion: Play with 1280x1024 though its overkill now, I know I have a system which can get along quite a time, and I can always buy the monitor later. If I would downgrade my stuff to the monitor, that would be stupid because I would get an outdated system sooner and need to spend a lot of money in a shorter amount of time.

Am I correct guys? :) Is my argument coherent and solid? :D

Yea but with that monitor you wont see a difference in any games when you uprade your PC because 1280x1024 isnt that high of a resolution. An older computer can still handle it without much strain so it would be a waste of money to buy anything unless you know your buying a new monitor when you have money. The quality of your games all revolve around your 1.hardware build and 2.your monitor.

Yea but with that monitor you wont see a difference in any games when you uprade your PC because 1280x1024 isnt that high of a resolution. An older computer can still handle it without much strain so it would be a waste of money to buy anything unless you know your buying a new monitor when you have money. The quality of your games all revolve around your 1.hardware build and 2.your monitor.

Well I suppose a step from 800x600 to 1280x1024 is already a huge step forward, and maintaining FPS. I will buy the monitor later. The point is just that the first 2 / 3 months I can't really profit from what I bought, easy as that. But I will be satisfied in the meanwhile with what I have, and maybe I know someone to get a monitor from which gets a higher resolution :)

Well I suppose a step from 800x600 to 1280x1024 is already a huge step forward, and maintaining FPS. I will buy the monitor later. The point is just that the first 2 / 3 months I can't really profit from what I bought, easy as that. But I will be satisfied in the meanwhile with what I have, and maybe I know someone to get a monitor from which gets a higher resolution :)
Yea i mean as long as you know your gonna get a new one. What size do you plan to get eventually?

Back