• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am moving to A64...please help AMD masters.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NO LIFE

I need a new cpu to keep up with my video card so I am moving to an A64. I have read a lot on this forum and it has all helped. I am about to purchase and would like to run it past the experts once.

I have decided on this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-178&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

From the reviews the K8T800pro chipset seems to be very solid and offers pci/agp locks. Hard OCP reported some BIOS issues with this board, but they said it was being ironed out and was not a hardware issue. My only question is, does this motherboard offer a lot of voltage options? I absolutely need the vdimm to go up to 3.3v since I have BH-5 ram. It would also be nice to have a good range of vcore and chipset voltage options. If the abit board doesnt have it, are their any other board someone could recommend? Or is modding the abit very hard?

Now the cpu. From what I understand a Clawhammer 754 cpu with 1mb of L2 cache will guarantee me a CG stepping which seems to be the best so far. I would really like to have the 1mb cache to make up for a lack of dual channel memory. The only cheap Clawhammer 754 with a 1mb cache I have seen is this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...446&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Microprocessors+PC

and this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...444&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Microprocessors+PC

My question is, can these be used in a desktop motherboard? Do they work wonders like the mobile bartons? Or should I just spring for a 3400+ 754 with the 1mb cache in a few days when the price drop happens; from what I can gather, they should have CG stepping.

Sorry for being long-winded but there seems to be an infinite number of options and I want to make sure I get the best one.

Thanks for any and all input. :thup:

Maxvla

if you are looking for the best oc i would steer clear of the 1mb cache clawhammers.

the 3200 2.2ghz newcastle will be a very attractive cpu at 180-190 dollars considering it gives you the extra multiplier over the 3000+ as well as being slightly higher speed binned. i think this is the sweetspot for the lower end a64 chips.

the 3400 will give you the 12x in addition but i don't think its worth the extra money as 11x will give you good ram speeds at 1:1.

its going to be a long time before i trust a Via board for my OC rig. i'd suggest one of the Epox NF3 250 boards. one is about 90 dollars the other is about 150. Silver has his 8k3a+ (?) board paired with a 3000+ at 2.7ghz mostly stable.

OP
N

NO LIFE

So the 1mb of cache wont really offer much more performance over 512? You feel this cpu would be the best without spending a ton of money?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-483&depa=0

And, is there any reason you are steering clear of the VIA chipset, or has the nforce3 250GB been a better performer? Also, does the epox board offer a lot of voltage options? Thanks a ton for the advice.

Maxvla

oh the extra cache will definately give you performance however you will likely be stuck around 2400mhz whereas you could go to 2.5-2.8 with a newcastle without selling your soul.

generally we've seen the extra 512k cache equalize to about 100mhz so if you had a 2500mhz newcastle and 2400mhz clawhammer they would perform about the same. there is certainly more headroom on the newcastle, but as with any cpu its always a gamble.

i just choose not to buy Via on principle. via's current chipset isn't any faster than the nf3 250gb so i can afford to be fickle :eek: if you like the feature set better by all means go for it. it looks to be the best via chipset ever, perhaps the first one they haven't lied about in the last couple years.

i don't know the voltage options on the epox board. in conversations with silver i think the cpu tops at 1.7v and the ram is either 2.8 or 2.9 however both of these are moddable as silver is in the process of finding out how (or maybe already has). he mentioned something he modded that made the board open up considerably. i don't recall what it was. could be the vdimm mod.

OP
N

NO LIFE

Maxvla

one thing i don't like about the abit is that it only has 2 dimm slots. i love abit but that was a mistake. should have at least 3.