• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am new to folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KnowlesTech

I want to be a Beta Tester
I just installed teh FAH and did what I was told

"[email protected] Service Installer v0.2 - ONLY FOR NT/2000/XP - NOT FOR 95/98/ME!!!!
-----------------------------------
ONLY FOR nikhsub1!!! ----> 1. Choose AUTOMATED INSTALL!!!!!
To Add GROMACS FLAGS
--------------------
1. Go to Start > Run > and type in regedit. The registry will open.

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Services\FAH\Parameters you need to right click the key "Application", hit modify.
3. Put quotes (") at the BEGINNING of the string AND the END of the string.
4. After the quotes at the end of the string, make ONE space and then type the following:
-advmethods -forceasm
5. An example of what this should look like is this:
"C:\Program Files\FAH\FAH3Console.exe" -advmethods -forceasm
6. Once you do this, I recommend going to Start>Run and type services.msc. Find the FAH Service, right click it and select 'STOP'. Then Right click it again and select 'START'.
Doing this will add the flags and you are good to go!
Latest Version
--------------
You can find the latest version of this program at
http://www.shroomery.org/files/fahsi/"

All that is good, what I want to know is how do I kow it is working? If I will not "know" off the bat is there a way to make this graphical? Let me know. I like Seti and the way it works and I see that there are skins for "Electron MicroscopeIII" ??? What is this and will it make folding graphic, like and scr?

Let me know soon, thanks!

Kendan

Senior Punk
Yes use EM3 to monitor the client. Just click the faq link in my sig there is a link to how to set up EM3:D Welcome to the FOLD:D

axlecrusher

Yea, open the task manager and go to processes. See if folding is taking up most of the CPU cycles. Welcome to the fold, and the addiction.

Axle

OP
KnowlesTech

KnowlesTech

I want to be a Beta Tester
axlecrusher said:
Yea, open the task manager and go to processes. See if folding is taking up most of the CPU cycles. Welcome to the fold, and the addiction.

Axle

I have FAH3CONSOLE.exe, fahcore_65.exe, EMIII.exe in my taskmanager. fah_65 is pid 85, when I start downloading or using poser or 3DSmax will this stop by itself?

I downloaded and am using Multi skin for OC in EMIII, showing
0000 Protein 264 P651_TZ4_EXT 40.6
78%
3 of 400
Time per frame 00:10:14 00:1:55
Per WU 68:13:04 (6510 30/8/6 [143]
Remaining time 67:33:30 OC32
start 08:41 date tofay
finsh in 3 days
This good or can I tweak it somehow to do more Folding while I am at work?

Let em know, I have no clue what any of the numbers mean above, lol... fo rnow :D

[edit] and ty to both of you! and I signed up for the forum, my MIRC nick is CrackKingCole... do not ask I will tell you no lies :D

axlecrusher

It will continue working while you download, unless downloading uses all your CPU power, in whaich case something is very wrong. It will stop, or give up CPU to intense programs such as games, Poser 4, and 3DMax. No need to worry about it, you won't even know it's running.

Axle

xsquared_uk

x out of 400 sounds like Tinker work units? You need to use the flags to get the best points score out of your rig for the time it's putting in - basically the easiest way to do it is to create a shortcut to the program and then edit the target line and add the two commands to the end, so it looks something like :

"c:\fah\FAH3Console.exe" -advmethods -forceasm

Then when you've done that, close the client with Ctrl-C and restart it with the new shortcut - it'll finish the one it's on, but then in future it will pick up Gromacs work which tend to have 100 frames instead of 400. Check the forums here for better explanations of all this, and anyone feel free to correct me if I messed something up... :)

xsquared_uk

Oh, and to answer your other question - the core won't stop when you use 3DMax etc but it is set to have a priority of idle, meaning that as soon as something else wants to use the CPU it lets it without a fight, there's no need to stop it running - you shouldn't notice any difference in performance of the machine.