• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am SO #@%(ing angry right now..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunt

Ok well...I ruined my first 1800+ from trying to unlock it...well, now I am trying to unlock my 1600+, Its about my 8th time now, but I felt really really good about this one, I double checked everything, and everything looks good...well, I went to put my heatsink back on, slk-800...and I go to boot up, and all I hear is BEEP-BEEP-BEEP so I shut down...re-check cpu, reset the bios settings...and still, BEEP-BEEP-EEP...I go looking around to see whats up....and I see a little tiny thing right by the socket.

I pick it up...yeah, when I put my heatsink on, the heatsink clip razed the mobo and shaved off this ?resistor? right by the socket. I think I even see where is was supposed to go...if the mobo is f&$^ed, then I am just gonna try to sauder it back on!!

If I cant get it to work...new mobo....any suggestions?!?

:EDIT: oh and by the way....they are long beeps...

Last edited:
OP
B

Brunt

Looking at new motherboards...I was really waiting for a new type of PCI bus to come out....but I guess I cant wait.

I read kt400 doesn't have a 1/6 divider...does any kt333 have it??
I dunno....whats the best board out there? Asus 8x, ata serial, firewire, lan for $120....it has kt400 though...I dont think I am gonna buy new ram just yet...

Deathknight

kt400 doesn't support 1/6 divisor (i think kt400a is supposed to). The soon to be released nforce2 chipset is rumored to allow you to lock your pci and agp bus speeds. Even better than 1/6 divisor ;)

residentevil2

Disabled
did u smell anything funny ?

And are u sure its a resiter thier all over the board like little tiny rectangle shaps thier really really small tho.

If thats tru you can solder it back on if you can solder something that small.

OP
B

Brunt

Well...I went and let it beep 22 times..and I dont think it was gonna stop..ah well...I guess I can use my laptop untill the new chiptset...allows you to lock the pci/agp bus? I guess I can shoot for higher then 162 fsb, my pci was running at 43 I think there...

ReTiCuLeX

Damn really sorry to hear about that bro. Same thing happened to my friend. We installed an ASUS A7M266 mobo in his case , stuck his duron in an stuff. Next thing ya know the computer turns itself off , the capasitor rite by the CPU FELL OFF and was hanging by 1 leg. well it fried his cpu also. :(

OP
B

Brunt

I looked at the cpu(thinking about my old 1800+ that fried) and it looks ok...I remember hearing a small pop...maybe when I hit it, I didn't knock it off all the way....then when I turned it on..it poped off. OH WELL....I am looking at new nvida? chipset...locks the pci/agp bus....

PCphreak

It's an SMD resistor...to solder it back on you need a SMD tip on your soldering pen, not to mention experiance. It's not easy.

For the heck of it, hold the SMD resistor in it's original place with the tip of a toothpick and place a dot of hot glue over the top of the SMD resistor. Keep pressure on the resistor until the glue hardens. Leave the toothpick in the glue for testing, then remove the toothpick afterwards. Just a thought...

-PC

OC Detective

Are you trying to reboot at default now. Have you tried replacement ram or putting the ram in another mobo to eliminate this as a possibility?

The Coolest

when I don't get a boot, I generally have to set the jumper that you use to choose betwin jumper mode and Jumperless mode to "Jumper mode" turn the PC on, then off, and then put it back to jumperless mode, and it works for me, if it doesn't, also try setting the speed of the CPU by jumpers, just set the default multi and 100FSB just to get a boot, then take everything back to jumperless mode