• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I broke Win7 need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I discovered that a few apps I liked to use aren't Windows 7 friendly so I decided to dig up my old XP install CD and installed it to a different hard drive. I was going to dual boot XP and 7 depending on what I wanted to do.

BIG MISTAKE

XP messed up the boot setting and now I can't get to win 7 anymore :( worse, XP did boot setting using boot.ini while Vista and 7 used different boot methos so I can't manually add Windows 7 to boot. Not that it matters, I can't figure out the path setting either. :cry:

How do I get Win 7 back, without having to give up XP?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Run the repair install for W7, that should fix it and then show XP. If not you can then manaully add XP.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Run the repair install for W7, that should fix it and then show XP. If not you can then manaully add XP.

+1

Had this happen to me a few times. Nothing to panic over haha

But for future reference, install from oldest OS to newest OS. Just to make sure that nothing gets lost as the newer OS should almost always have the ability to find the older one, but not always vice versa.

Bluefalcon13

throw in the windows7 disk, then proceed with the install. after a bit, it will ask you what you want to do. choose repair boot settings (or something like that) and you should be good to go.

I know this cause I broke my Win7 RC many a times trying to reinstall XP on my RAID-0 (I dont use a bootloader, I use the boot-selector from bios :D )

OP
4GHZ_or_bust

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Ok I got Win 7 to work again but I think I really messed something because if I get to boot screen (F8) it shows Vista not 7.

Now I need to edit that to show correctly Win 7, and I need to figure out how to add XP to the boot option. I checked the advanced properties in System control panel, there is no option to edit boot.ini like older Windows.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
OP
4GHZ_or_bust

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Thanks a lot!! That program did the trick. Got both Windows 7 and XP working in boot options and I also fixed the oddity where Vista was showing up as boot option rather than Win7.

*memo to self* shoot author for not making my favorite programs Win 7 friendly first. :D