• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't update 98SE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

I just reinstalled windows 98SE on my mom's computer. I went to the windows update site but it comes up with an error. Could this be cause by me installing 98SE from a back-up copy I burned? I didn't think it would be any big deal. Must I install from the original?

EDIT: Do I have to use the install key for that specific disc or can I use a different one from a scratched up disc?

Last edited:
DeathONator said:
I just reinstalled windows 98SE on my mom's computer. I went to the windows update site but it comes up with an error. Could this be cause by me installing 98SE from a back-up copy I burned? I didn't think it would be any big deal. Must I install from the original?

EDIT: Do I have to use the install key for that specific disc or can I use a different one from a scratched up disc?

No, it is fine from a backup copy. Any key that works is fine. Maybe MS was having trouble on the site. Try again today.

Hmm. I was just trying it but the poor old disc hasn't been used in a while and can't find the internet. I'll try when I get home. I have a 98 system there that is on internet.

Open Windows Explorer or IE and type this into the Address bar...

%windir%\windows update.log

If you're prompted to choose a program to open the .log file with, choose Notepad or Wordpad. Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entry. Look for an error code associated with the last failed attempt to access Windows Update. Now go here...

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

...and look under the "Problem reaching Windows Update" heading for the error code you encountered. Try the suggested resolution(s) to see if this resolves the issue. :)

Back