• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I did the Pop Can Block!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mirko_3

First of all, Hello: I've been reading through these forums for a couple months, but only now did I feel the need to post.

So, I did the Pop Can Block (you can find info about it at overclockers.com under watercooling), and I have to say I'm proud of it, since it's my first watercooling setup.
It's setup very simply, as i didn't by the heater core yet, so its just the waterblock with 2 pieces of tubing going to a small container of water wich also contains the pump (1000 l/h).
Anyways, with this setup, under load the water gets hot real quickly, but that's to be expected without a radiator of some sort. But just after bootup my CPU temps are around 32C, using water wich is much cooler than ambient. That seems a bit high to me, as water hasn't yet had time to heat up, so the missing radiator shouldn't make a difference. Or am I wrong?
The wb is lapped using 400 grit sanpaper, and I did it in 20 minutes, so maybe that's the problem. Or maybe it's because I'm not using artic silver. Anyone can tell me if my temps ought to be lower?
By the way, voltage is at default 1.75 (yes, it's willamette)

grim

well with the water just flowing thru a container you will always get high temps unless you have a pretty large container with a fan mounted in the corner. you could always make the container larger and add a fan or you could build a bong. both of these you can do with things around the house instead of going out and buying a heater core.

show us some pics.

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

Sorry but i don't have a digital camera for pics :(
Anyway, the container is quite small (about 20x20 cm, 30cm deep) but it's temporary; if I just left it lying there, sooner or later my little brother would decide that he just urgently needed a bath...
So, what you are saying is that even just after booting to windows (or linux, the initial temps don't vary much) the temps are going to be relatively high already?
Anyway, I'm going to mount the fan in the corner of the water container...just hadn't thought about that:beer:

And could anyone post their temperatures with their watercooling setup ob a system similar to mine? Just for comparison.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
awesome man! glad to see there was more than only a few who did that successfully, yes do as grim said, thats what i did for a while

and pics are nice!!!

what kind of material did you use?

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

Well, first of all, I used the bottom of a Coke can, not a Mountain Dew ;)
I used copper for the base, 0.5 mm thick (about 1/4") and two pieces of brass tubing. The rest is pretty much like in the article.
And if anyone is interested in prices, i spent 3.5 $ for the copper, 25 for the pump, 2.5 for 6 meters of plastic tubing, and a whooping 12 for a long piece of brass tubing. Additionally, my arm aches because sawing through the piece of brass wasn't a particularly enjoyable nor relxing experience...
Still, now leeks right from the start, and I'm using it right now, with a temp of 35. The temperature has been there for about an hour, since I'm only surfing and using rain.

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

Ehm...36...
Well, I don't know that yet, because trying to test the system with 3DMark or anyhting else just heats up the water real quickly, so I have to shut down. Earlier, I got temps like 56 after 3DMark, and UT2003 crashed after 15 minutes, with a temp of 58. Suppose I'll have to wait to make comparisons until I get a heater core...or a bigger reservoir...
So all I have now is my idle temps, and if you say the are good, than I'm happy.
Oh, and the temps just went back to 35...

By the way, Maskedgeek, are you the inventor of this block?

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

Uhm...I read that anything above 600 is pretty much useless, and that you do it only if you want a mirror finish... what do you other guys think? I was thinking about buing another sheet of 400 (as the first one is used up) and one of 600. Think that now I'll also get an 800 one, it's cheap...

Well, I suppose I'll start [email protected] now and see how long it takes before I have to shut down. I'll post tomorrow how long it took(it's 9:45 PM here in Italy...)

Well, thanks for the help guys!

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

Well then, congratulations to maskedgeek for the great idea he had - really, it's one of the best (and cheapest :)) I've seen out there.
As for my temps, after 25 minutes of [email protected] they went from 38 to 46 without the fan on the water. I'm bored and I'll shut down now... Thanks for the quick answers, guys!

Last edited:

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
oh you mean 36 is idle? thtas not horrible but its not that great either, yeah im the creator of that block. thanx