• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I don't know what to do. Do I cry? Do I scream? Do I smash something?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Well, here is the story of my long and unending uphill battle.

1.) I try to get my computer working as a server so I can deal with the Folding Mentor Project site.

2.) I finally get my networking ports forwarded and have an understanding of how that works

3.) I scrap my apache install and start from scratch. I finally get it.

4.) PHP 5 mysteriously fails to load the extensions I uncommented in the php.ini. I later find out it wasn't even reading the php.ini even though the directory listed in the phpinfo() was to my php.ini.

5.) I wipe out every single php.ini on my system and it still mysteriously works

6.) I completely wipe out everything that says "php" on my system and start from scratch. This time with php4.

7.) Another 2 weeks gone by getting apache to work with it even though I followed the instructions to the tee.

8.) It all works perfectly!

9.) I set up VNC so I can remotely access my computer!

10.) I am so happy!

11.) A week later and a few months later from the beginning of my struggle, God says "F:mad::mad::mad: you!!!" and MySQL randomly stops working.

12.) I reinstall and it does not work

13.) I try a newer version which is very different in the install process and lacks the little status tool that tells you if it is working or not with the traffic light. All is good except I CANNOT ACCESS IT!!! GRRRRRR.....

For the security settings I input my password for root and I get this every time I try to use phpmyadmin:

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

ERROR
MySQL said:

#1251 - Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

So I made sure in the config.inc everything was set to root and my password and localhost.

Does anyone know how I can get out of this? This one last step and I am FREE!!!!!

If anyone can help me, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

BTW, I know there are those all in ones out there that you can get, but I feel as if I can't set up my server on my own I might as well switch to AOL and buy a Gateway... Thanks again!

im not sure what you could do, ive only had a couple sucessfull attemots at getting mysql and php to agree. i was runnign them on 2K with IIS. when i would get an error liek that, i'd reformat and try again. once i finally go it workin, i didnt touch it, in fear id break it again. lol. if you can find any dls on the web for jsut a mysql client thats newer, you might try installing that. im thinking i had a disagreement in some php code that caused a similar error, i tihnk it was runnin php4 codeo n 5 and it didnt liek sometihng stupid with that, but its been so long i dont remember any more, i could be remembering it all wrong.

might try askin on a mysql forum, see what the say. or if theres FAQs on the mysql site that might be of a little help.

@md0Cer said:
BTW, I know there are those all in ones out there that you can get, but I feel as if I can't set up my server on my own I might as well switch to AOL and buy a Gateway... Thanks again!
Getting Apache, PHP, and MySQL to all play nice is a nightmare from what little I've dabbled in it. By no means should you feel that way (though Gateway isn't a half bad company in my experience :D) just becuause you can't get them working without help :)

Since I've only dabbled (and quite a while ago at that), I can't really offer any help other than some encouragement since it sounds like it's been quite the fiasco :eek:

JigPu

Thanks a bunch guys. You are really going to love this...MySQL is now mysteriously working. No computer restart, no settings changed. Is this crazy or what?

Oh yea, now phpmyadmin doesn't work. I will reinstall that and see.

EDIT:
Wow im so confused. It all works now. :cry: :eh?: :confused:

Oh well I should be happy!

Last edited:
Back