• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I expected more from the storm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killermiller

I just re-did my WC setup and put in my mcp-655 and the stifttech storm and my temps are the same as when I was using a modded mcp-350 and 6000 wb. I said well maybe I didn't mount the storm correctly so I remounted and there was no change. I am disappointed about the results. Could someone provide some insight as to what the heck is going on here?

I also just put 2 sunon 120*38mm fans on my BIX2 radiatior. I thought that would have made a difference alone.

Idle with 1.3v is about 30c
load 38

I cranked up the v to 1.55 +10% with no oc (was just checking temps and it shot up to 40+ on idle. I raise to fsb (dont remember to what) and load went up to 50+
I am pretty sure that that is the same if not worse than with my other equipment.

hm.. that seems strange to me. you should be getting atleast a 2 or 3 degree difference. I dont know. Maybe someone later today will be able to answer. Sorry, i cant help.

ok now this is weird...

1.3v
340x7 = 2380mhz
Prime95 both cores
38-41 for at least 5 min NO FANS

That is the same temp with the fans on.

I wonder if the temp sensor is on the fritz

Well it is chilly outside but I like it toasty inside....probably around 70.

No fans finally hit 43

If anyone has any more ideas, please share

Last edited:
If you *just* changed out the waterblocks, and you had the 6000 mounted for a signifigant amount of time beforehand, AS5 does have a "settle in" period (something like 200 hours, I can't really remember). It isn't large, but it has been known to shed 2 or 3 degrees over time while it adjusts and completely fills in the micro gaps and evens out. Anytime I wind up having to remount any of my blocks I notice that my temps are slightly lower a couple weeks later then right after mounting (as long as I keep the rad clean, my house as a serious dust problem).

It's not a major factor, but still can cause variation.

if your loads are going so high so quick you have a clog or a kink or blockage. it may be inside your rad . oyou need to clean the rest of your system out as well and keep in mind the nlock is only 1 part of the equation .

your fans and the surface area of your rad are ultimately more important

superdaveviii said:
If you *just* changed out the waterblocks, and you had the 6000 mounted for a signifigant amount of time beforehand, AS5 does have a "settle in" period (something like 200 hours, I can't really remember). It isn't large, but it has been known to shed 2 or 3 degrees over time while it adjusts and completely fills in the micro gaps and evens out. Anytime I wind up having to remount any of my blocks I notice that my temps are slightly lower a couple weeks later then right after mounting (as long as I keep the rad clean, my house as a serious dust problem).

It's not a major factor, but still can cause variation.

I am aware of that but I don't think I had it going for 200 hours straight before I put my new pump/block in. I guess I was going for more then 2-3 degrees for a $100+ upgrade.

thorilan said:
if your loads are going so high so quick you have a clog or a kink or blockage. it may be inside your rad . oyou need to clean the rest of your system out as well and keep in mind the nlock is only 1 part of the equation .

your fans and the surface area of your rad are ultimately more important

I have never cleaned the rad, its not but a couple months old, but I did blow through it to see if there was any restriction and I was able to push as much air as I could with on resistance. No kinks:shrug:

Thanks fo the responses though.

Dumb question--- Is 1 or 5 the high setting?

I am assuming 5 and that is what I have it on.

My wife hates it when I spend all my time on my computer so it'll have to wait a few days. She thinks that every time its apart, I broke something. Which is not the case, but she doesn't know that. I will post again when I do.

killermiller said:
My wife hates it when I spend all my time on my computer so it'll have to wait a few days. She thinks that every time its apart, I broke something. Which is not the case, but she doesn't know that. I will post again when I do.

Sorry, but I just gotta laugh at this. :D

My wife does too. :shrug: :bang head

:attn:

ls7corvete said:
check the "if your temps are too high" thread

Also make sure the flow is going the right direction.

The only thing that I didn't do on that list is dismantle the block and check for obstructions, but like I said before, that will have to wait :bang head

Last edited:
My wife hates it when I spend all my time on my computer

My wife just hates when I am messing with the computer and she can't check the email or do her daily read of the news!

I find this thread interesting as I have a 6002 and am wondering what kind of a gain would be realized by switching to a Storm of Apogee.

voigts said:
My wife just hates when I am messing with the computer and she can't check the email or do her daily read of the news!

Wives, can't live with them and you can't bury them in the backyard. :shrug: :D

My solution, handme down rigs. Usually ones that I really used up. It is always there (folding) for her to check her email or play mahjong or find a new husband or whatever she does. I trade her parts out about every 2-3 years and she is happy. Only time she gets upset is when she catches me robbing parts. :D

voigts said:
I find this thread interesting as I have a 6002 and am wondering what kind of a gain would be realized by switching to a Storm of Apogee.

I am in the same boat and am curious how the Storm really compares.

Wives, can't live with them and you can't bury them in the backyard.

You had better not let your wife see that or you might be sleeping out in the back yard tonight.

My wife won't settle for another older system. She wants to also use the quiet watercooled one. :(

Now if I could only afford to get her that wireless tablet PC she keeps looking at...

Hehe a very good reason to install old watercooling equipment in the hand-me-down PC. I've got an Innovatek system running very quietly in my Pentium3 PC. Since the cooling requirements are so low, it's actually a quieter system than my main one.
Which reminds me to finally connect that P3 to the internet too. :D

Back