• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I finished my dually :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
The dually is finally finished after six months of reading, research, buying it piece by peice, and then finally, putting it all together. I want to sincerely thank everyone in this forum, especially CMC, for the questions, comments, and direction as to how to get this beast up and running, without this source the disgustingly fast gaming and home computing I enjoy now wouldn't have been possible.

As you can see in my sig, here's the nuts and bolts of it:

XP2500+ Bartons w/ L5 mod and a hard coded 15x multi (using the 5v psu method)
K7D Master
1.5GB ECC PC2100 Kingston DDR
Gainward Ti4800 SE
2 WD 10K SATA Raptor drives in RAID 0 w/ Promise RAID controller (thanks Nikhsub1)
Lite-On DVD/CD-RW Combo drive
Santa Cruz Sound Card
Polk 5.1 Digital Surround Speakers
Cheiftech Aluminum Server Chassis w/ TurboLink 420W psu
Case Mod to accept two lower-front intake fans (ala Dremel)
7 Coolermaster Neon fans
Windows XP Pro

I had more trouble with the lower front fan mod than anything else. After making a stencil, cutting, and driling holes, it was a little difficult to line up the fans. Blowing the last two L3's went suprisingly well and I only had to re-do one bridge as it didn't completely pop.

In the last two years I have built over 35 rigs for home, friends, family, and mostly, work. Let me tell you that the WD SATA Raptors are the hands down speed demons over anything I've ever thrown together. Adding the dual cpu's helped out too and the combo was able to install XP pro in under ten minutes!

Thanks again for all the help as this was my first real dually and my graduation from college present to myself so I wanted to do it up right.

Wedo

Here's the pics:

Here you can see the side by side dual intake fans.
insidefront.jpg

insidemiddle.jpg

insidemiddle2.jpg

insiderear2.jpg

insiderear.jpg

:drool:

Dang man, that thing is gonna be an awesome folder.

I like the fans, all you need is a WC setup, uv reactive water die and some uv cold cathodes and paint ur mobo w/some uv reactive paint and it will shine in the night ;)

Nice job again :D

Fold and Frag on
Brian

There is one thing I would change on that rig pretty quick, that being the power supply, if you have ever ventured into the Case and psu area you should know why, if not, i'll wait for you to ask, before telling you somethings you may already know.

Otherwise that is an awesome rig:D, but I would not rely on that power supply to keep it going.

schismspeak said:
There is one thing I would change on that rig pretty quick, that being the power supply

Yeah, I've read the complaints on the TurboLinks, but in the last year newegg has been selling Cheiftechs with these psu's and I haven't had problem yet (knock on wood). In my office I have 7 rigs with TurboLinks and each one is running just fine.

I do have an Antec 400w true in case I need it though. Thanks for the post.

Wedo

:edit: I just checked my voltages to be sure and all is well. The rig is running at full load on both cpu's (folding of course:D) and has been since I finished the OS install two days ago.

Woah, 10 minutes to install XP Pro. :drool: :drool: :drool:
I want a graduation present like that, lol. :D
Great system Wedo and like Bubba said, it's time to venture into the H2O side of things. :)

WOW!!! That rig looks awesome. That is going to be a folding beast. I wish my computer could install xp in 10 minutes, thats amazing.

WOW...

That...

is....

BLUE...

;););)

(Good work Wedo. By the way, you can remove the fan off the NB. It isn't needed, as long as you have a little airflow from the heatsinks going across it. I removed that fan off all three of my K7D systems and haven't had a single problem with any of them. The fan is noisy, that's why I removed it.)

Is that promise controler 66Mhz? I'd love to see the benchmarks with that. Also, how hot to those Raptors run? Last time I touched a 10k RPM drive (SCSI) I burned myself!

-Rav

Thanx Wedo for the pics. I'm going to put together a AMD/MSI duallie going back to collage present for myself later this fall. I'll make sure to do a search on your posts for my guide.

However I think I'll go for purple fans though :p

elec999 said:
very sweet
enjoy it

one question : why did you put one of your hard drives backwards?

Do you mean backwards or upside down? I think he put one upside down to keep the heat away from the other so that the platters wouldn't warp. And neither one is "backwards" per say, they are SATA so there isn't the big fat ATA133 cable coming out of the back. :)

Go to Newegg and make a wish list with all the components Wedo used. I'm sure it's close to $1500 including the OS. My more basic duallie is almost $1k not including the OS.

Back