• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I finished my dually :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, I kinda went overboard on the blue fans, but hey, they were on sale! The Raptor drives are much cooler than I expected, you can actually touch them at full spin and not need to dial 911.

I installed the one upsidedown to get better air flow from the intake fan that's pulling air over them. If the drives are installed right-side up, then it limits the air on either the top of one drive or the bottom of the other.

$1,500 is about right and thanks (again and again and .....) for the tip CMC, I'll remove that fan. It's actually MUCH louder than the CoolerMasters.

Oh, and I wanted to use seven of the same fan to reduce noise as I had a threory about different fans creating different pitches and being seemingly louder than need be. With all seven fans it's really not that loud comparred to other rigs I've built with two or three different kinds of fans.

Wedo

Actually every time you double the number of fans you increase the spl (sound pressure level) 3dB. So Wedo only inceased his noise less than 9dB. And the unified pitch can be a lot less annoying than several differant fans. I've got 9 fairly quiet fans and the one in the PS with that high pitched wail tops 'em all eventhough it's not as loud overall.

Audioaficionado said:
Actually every time you double the number of fans you increase the spl (sound pressure level) 3dB. So Wedo only inceased his noise less than 9dB. And the unified pitch can be a lot less annoying than several differant fans. I've got 9 fairly quiet fans and the one in the PS with that high pitched wail tops 'em all eventhough it's not as loud overall.

I still say go H2O. :)

He's got the room in that case. A rheobus could also quiet things down without as much hassle. If you don't mind having the box teathered to a water line, you can have a silent system if you put the radiator and pump in another room. Even the 120mm radiator fans and the water pump will make some noise.

All I can say is I want one of those for doing.....................what would I do with a system like that? Nice pictures and I'm sure you had a great time building it. If it was around $1500 that's not a bad price for all that. Maybe in the near future, maybe?

I was always on the chicken side to do any mods on my cpus so i just went with stock mp's :D ...Yet great system.

Side note to charles hf, how hard would it be to water cool my sys. are you currently water cooling your dual sys?

thanks

2los said:
I was always on the chicken side to do any mods on my cpus so i just went with stock mp's :D ...Yet great system

thanks

I originally was a little nervous too, but after reading and reading and reading and watching this forum and of course comparing prices of xp's to mp's, I went ahead and did it. Easy as cake, and saved a bundle too. :D

BoogieMan

Very nice dually!!

Those Coolermaster fans really aren't that loud.

If you wanted to go h20, you could put your two raptors on converters in the 5.25" bays, and rip out the two 3.5" mounts to make room for a dual 120mm radiator/heatercore. (I did :)) I've got a 15k scsi drive, and it runs pretty cool to the touch up there with a top 120mm blowhole. :D

Back