• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I give up, Need help now :P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzzy

Ok so today i finally finish putting together my new comp, boot her up.. yay it starts... WTF!? It shut down!? The hell? I figured it had something to do with the f_panel on my gigabyte ga-7vax so i switch everything around trying every possible way, one way i got a blue light( good?) another time i got yellowish brown(bad?) and another it didn't even turn on at all. Now i heard some people having problems with this board (ga-7vax) so i was wondering if anyone knows a solution to this problem or if its a different hardware problem. Any help? :(

jadams

did it shut down only a few seconds after it started? If so there may be a problem with the power switch/wire. It only needs momentary contact to start the computer.

hmmm, or would it turn back on again if that was the problem? endless cycle?

Just a thought. :beer:
Jeff.

OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

it would turn on for like 5 seconds, then just turn off completely, what power switch wire ya talkin about, the wire to motherboard or one to power surge?

Maximouse

Fuzzy said:
Ok so today i finally finish putting together my new comp, boot her up.. yay it starts... WTF!? It shut down!? The hell? I figured it had something to do with the f_panel on my gigabyte ga-7vax so i switch everything around trying every possible way, one way i got a blue light( good?) another time i got yellowish brown(bad?) and another it didn't even turn on at all. Now i heard some people having problems with this board (ga-7vax) so i was wondering if anyone knows a solution to this problem or if its a different hardware problem. Any help? :(
Try this.
Check your Heatsink to see if it is seated properly, I think that board has auto shutdown in the bios if the cpu temp gets too high.

jadams

Re: Re: I give up, Need help now :p

Maximouse said:

Try this.
Check your Heatsink to see if it is seated properly, I think that board has auto shutdown in the bios if the cpu temp gets too high.

I would try that first before worrying about a switch, my idea was just a guess :)

As for the wire, I meant the wire from the switch to the motherboard, bare somewhere and touching the side or something, it was just a thought.

Jeff.

OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

ok well i reinstalled the heatsink, it still did it so when i went to touch the cpu it wasnt hot at all. i boot up and dont even get a picture. its really aggrivating and i am probably just going to have to return all the parts because there seems to be no solution to this unless anyone else has ideas.

Maximouse

Fuzzy said:
ok well i reinstalled the heatsink, it still did it so when i went to touch the cpu it wasnt hot at all. i boot up and dont even get a picture. its really aggrivating and i am probably just going to have to return all the parts because there seems to be no solution to this unless anyone else has ideas.

Well, try taking the motherboard out of the case and test running it with just the vid card and ram installed, see what happens. Could be a bad ground.

OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

no the whole computer just shuts off for what seems to be no apprant reason. Maximouse, what do u mean, i could have a screw in bad spot of motherboard ?

Maximouse

Fuzzy said:
no the whole computer just shuts off for what seems to be no apprant reason. Maximouse, what do u mean, i could have a screw in bad spot of motherboard ?

Yes, or a standoff is touching part of a MB circuit board trace (grounding itself)

You say you cant get video, well try pulling all cards/drives and reseat the vid card and run with the board out of the case.

Cant hurt, and if you are going to RMA it then you have to take it out anyway.

Stick00

try this, you say its the new kt 400 board, look and see if theirs another 12v connection that you need to plug in on the board itself.I had that problem with my soyo kt400 board and i left off the 12v to the board,aside from your main power connecter on the board. look in your layout of the board in your user guide. and look at the specs of your board.if you have a extra 12v to put on board youll see something like 12v conn or something 12v like that.. jm2cw, hopefully you forgot it lol,

OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

ok i really don't get this at all. I reinserted the motherboard making sure its properly risen and no screws were touching the mobo. I ran it outside of the case and i even tried it without the hdd, fd and cd rom and then with them one by one and it still just started up for 5 seconds then shut off in a mater of seconds. This really has me puzzled and i don't like it. :mad:

OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

well i really don't have another power supply and i don't feel like taking out this 250 watt one and putting it in. is it possible my cpu shim is doing this, cause i really have no clue what else is causing problems.

Mr. Chambers

what powersupply do you have now? it could be bad. also i have heard of a few problems where the shim actually shorted out the chips because it touched the L traces.. so yeah, try removing your shim too.

OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

hey yea cool it works now, it was the shim so i suggest no one orders it :) But now it seems i have encountered another problem. My power supply doesn't have a fan plug to plug to motherboard so now it overheats and shuts off so now i have to order a new one... i guess thats what i get for trying to order cheapo stuff.