• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got a P4 2.4GHz C1- PART 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

After getting a Pentium 4 2.66GHz C1 that couldn't do over 2.9GHz.. I found my dealer had a few 2.4B's in stock.. I asked to see the box, and boom.. I knew it was a C1.. so I picked it up..

Pack Date: 10/04/2002
Made In Costa Rica
SL6EF
Version: C10670-001
1.525v

I paid $215 for it.. I didn't order it on-line cuz you can't be sure what you're getting(I didn't want a B0)... I'm going to overclock the chip tonight and I'll let everyone how it does.. I'm not going to get my hopes up like i did with my 2.66GHz chip that turned out to be a huge dud. WISH ME LUCK...:p

Heh, congrats!

I have a Costa Rican SL6EF chip that does 3GHz(166MHz*18) with just 1.575V :)

I was thinking about paying a little bit higher of a price as well locally just to make sure that I get what i want.

If you use an American Express card with Best Value Guarantee you can actually get AMEX to reimburse you for the difference between price that you pay versus the lowest price you can find anywhere else (even on the internet) within 60 days.

OH MY GOD.. The overclocking gods hate me... This chip will never do 3GHz, I'm at 2.7GHz using 1.6v and Prime 95 just crashed.. oh joy..:(

Are you sure another component isn't holding you back? Having *two* underperforming C-1's seems to defy the odds...

Overclocker456 said:
OH MY GOD.. The overclocking gods hate me... This chip will never do 3GHz, I'm at 2.7GHz using 1.6v and Prime 95 just crashed.. oh joy..:(

try seeing what you can get with 1.7v or 1.725v.........maybe 2.8ghz???

mica

by the way, it's not you thats unlucky....the 2.4b were never the best chips to OC with.

( looks like we will see alot of peeps who think that C1 don't mean squat )

micamica1217

It begins to look like that, mica... from what I've seen here the B0-shrink models do quite well compared to the supposedly better C1 cores... and it seems the stock speed of the chip is a better predictor of OC success than the stepping ID.

I also have the feeling that at least certain Northwood chips are *not* sensitive to core voltage at all. I had similar experiences with my chips- beyond a certain point they would not run stable whether I provided stock voltage or the max 1.80v (which reads as 1.88 or so idle on my board!).

But before the OP gives up all hope: I agree with the guy that said to make sure the rest of your system is up to it. Strip it of all devices but the bare necessities and disable as many devices in BIOS as you can. Also dial back ram and agp/pci speeds as much as possible.
And always do a fresh install after a cpu change. =)

micamica1217 said:
he should have pci/agp lock enabled....so nothing to hold him back.

mica

You know he has this enabled? In any case, there is still the RAM to think about. =)

Have you been locking the FSB/AGP to 33/66? If you haven't, do so and try again (removing the devices is OK to do, too). You may have PCI components sensitive to overclocking.

Can't help but notice that in both cases, these two chips stop working at just about the same FSB (a bit over 150MHz FSB).

What RAM are you using?

It is very important to troubleshoot all the possibilities before coming to a conclusion.

FIZZ3 said:

You know he has this enabled? In any case, there is still the RAM to think about. =)

I agree it could be his ram....if he is trying with the 3/4 divider.
he looks like he's maxing out soon. he should be able to go 164fsb pluss the 3/4 divider

yet I hope that he tryed 1/1 first......just to see how far his cpu can go.

mica

micamica1217 said:
I just reread somthing........

he's only running at 1.6v core.....this is holding him back.

mica

Yeah a bit more voltage couldn't hurt, he's got a decent heatsink too. Yet, as I said, I've seen the voltage increase do little to nothing on P4NW's before...

I wonder what his power rails read under load/idle?

FIZZ3 said:

Yeah a bit more voltage couldn't hurt, he's got a decent heatsink too. Yet, as I said, I've seen the voltage increase do little to nothing on P4NW's before...

I wonder what his power rails read under load/idle?

Oooooo, and he has a ati 9700 conected to his PSU.:eek:

do you think that might mess up his rails?

mica

micamica1217 said:

Oooooo, and he has a ati 9700 conected to his PSU.:eek:

do you think that might mess up his rails?

mica

Well it's certainly possible! That card is a power hog and I've also seen other users report stability problems with that card in their P4 systems... mainly Asus boards users by the way.

And the rail thingy might well prove to be very significant; my old P2.0A used to crash after the rather volatile core reading dropped beneath 1.60 (typically 1.58) at 2400 and above after a good workout in Prime95. My current cpu is similar, but it's limit lies higher. =)

I would RMA the chip. I had a 2.8 that wouldn't go over 150 fsb (which is a pretty good overclock) so I sent it back and bought a new one. Granted, it cost me 15%, but the new chip is a monster. The only thing stopping me from getting to 3500 (+) is cooling and higher voltage. It runs very stable at 164 fsb, but runs a bit hot.

Back