• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GIXXERGUY6

Ok guys here goes:

I'm into this folding thing, but want more ppd's(as everyone does)

I have a buddy swapping to ATI's and for all the help I've done for him he's giving me a 9800gtx+ for next to nothing that will make 2 of them. I can run those in my rig just fine.

Question being this

Do I get a 3rd and upgrade board to a 3x and pick up another on craigslist or somewhere for cheap.

-or-

Run 2 and hold out for the dual socket 1366 board and work my way up from there(god knows how long til it drops or the price)

So let me hear it.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
There's really no point in upgrading to a board with a 3rd slot. What are you going to do with the old board? Unless you give it away it'll either end up in your junk pile or the trash can. You'd also be keeping your existing processor, RAM, hard disk, etc... so you'd be spending money on something that wouldn't really help anything.

Unless the system is a dedicated folder my recommendation is to wait until you can afford to build another 1366 socket system.

OP
GIXXERGUY6

GIXXERGUY6

There's really no point in upgrading to a board with a 3rd slot. What are you going to do with the old board? Unless you give it away it'll either end up in your junk pile or the trash can. You'd also be keeping your existing processor, RAM, hard disk, etc... so you'd be spending money on something that wouldn't really help anything.

Unless the system is a dedicated folder my recommendation is to wait until you can afford to build another 1366 socket system.

so you think a whole 'nother 1366 system is better than a dual socket system?

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Well the dual socket system is gonna be overkill unless you're going to be using it for a server of some sort. Also it'll be wayyy expensive at that.

Building a 2nd 1366 rig would be cheaper and would be a worthwhile investment. Heck even a 1156 would do very nicely.

OP
GIXXERGUY6

GIXXERGUY6

Well the dual socket system is gonna be overkill unless you're going to be using it for a server of some sort. Also it'll be wayyy expensive at that.

Building a 2nd 1366 rig would be cheaper and would be a worthwhile investment. Heck even a 1156 would do very nicely.

:( but I wanted a beast :D

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
It is your money and you can spend it however you want.

But, before asking here for help with PPD out of GPU folding, ask the [email protected] team first. There are people there that are very good at calculating the PPDPD (Points Per Day Per Dollar) to help you figure out if a hardware investment is going to give you a significant boost to your daily production or not.

OP
GIXXERGUY6

GIXXERGUY6

It is your money and you can spend it however you want.

But, before asking here for help with PPD out of GPU folding, ask the [email protected] team first. There are people there that are very good at calculating the PPDPD (Points Per Day Per Dollar) to help you figure out if a hardware investment is going to give you a significant boost to your daily production or not.

oops I didn't realize I posted in the General section.

IMOG>>>> Delete this worthless thread :D