• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Athlonman

I Am about to try overclocking my comp by rasing the front side bus. But by doing that am I also overclocking my sound card, Network card, ect.....? Thanks and also how high should i go. Its at 133 now schould I just go up by five and see what happens?

thanks

go up by 1's
after it becomes unstable in windows raise you vcore( and maybe dimm voltage) and then raise by ones again

once in windows run stress programs like around 20-30 min to see if its semi-stable.

be sure to watch your temps at all times
and take your time it might take a day or 2 to find the sweet spot
just don't rush it

If your FSB is 133 by default your PCI bus (sound, network, hard disks etc) is at 1/4 = 33MHz
The AGP bus (Video card) is at 1/2 =66MHz

As you increase the FSB, the PCI and AGP buses will be overclocked. Ie at 150MHz: PCI=37.5MHz, AGP=75MHz.
This can cause wear and tear, but as 'ThePunkGeek' says, take it slowly. Increase the FSB about 1 or 2MHz at a time and try running folding@home (see the Folding@Home forum) or 3dmark2001 se (www.madonion.com) for a few hours to see if the system is stable.

Often, to increase stability (ie if your PC crashes after a few minutes) you can increase the CPU voltage. For Thunderbirds the default is 1.75Volts - increase this to about 1.8 to 1.85Volts for better stablity. This will also result in higher case temperatures - make sure that you have a good CPU fan and heatsink and a few good case fans.

I use Prime95. I was looking for a link to their site but I can't find it now! If you want I can email you the zipped file.

Prime95 is acknowledged to be the best utility for stress testing/burning in/checking for stability. It detects hardware deficiencies long before they cause a lockup or damage to components. If you can stress test a machine for 12+ hours without it failing then it will not fail you elsewhere. I stress test all my systems for 12-18 hours with Prime95's torture test when I find a new overclock to run. They are all rock solid and have never locked up or shut down on me, and I fold or game on them all the time, so they're always at 100%.

Can you tell I like it now? ;)

PenguinFreak said:
If your FSB is 133 by default your PCI bus (sound, network, hard disks etc) is at 1/4 = 33MHz
The AGP bus (Video card) is at 1/2 =66MHz

As you increase the FSB, the PCI and AGP buses will be overclocked. Ie at 150MHz: PCI=37.5MHz, AGP=75MHz.
This can cause wear and tear, but as 'ThePunkGeek' says, take it slowly. Increase the FSB about 1 or 2MHz at a time and try running folding@home (see the Folding@Home forum) or 3dmark2001 se (www.madonion.com) for a few hours to see if the system is stable.

Often, to increase stability (ie if your PC crashes after a few minutes) you can increase the CPU voltage. For Thunderbirds the default is 1.75Volts - increase this to about 1.8 to 1.85Volts for better stablity. This will also result in higher case temperatures - make sure that you have a good CPU fan and heatsink and a few good case fans.

well I have avolcano 7 and I cut the termal probe and joined the wires. I have a antec 12xx with a lest five case fans so thats coverd and by current temps are Cpu = 34 and Case = 27 on full load
I have it set to 134 and running folding and I am not having any probs. But what about the chip set heat sync will I have to wacth that as well as far as temp go?

ClaytonComp said:

well I have avolcano 7 and I cut the termal probe and joined the wires. I have a antec 12xx with a lest five case fans so thats coverd and by current temps are Cpu = 34 and Case = 27 on full load
I have it set to 134 and running folding and I am not having any probs. But what about the chip set heat sync will I have to wacth that as well as far as temp go?

Graphics card and CPU are the main things, but a fan over the chipset often helps.

ClaytonComp said:

I have a blue orb on the graphics card will that help

That should do the trick :D
What about the chipset, has that got a fan?

To be honest - just watch the CPU - it is the most likely overheater.

PenguinFreak said:

That should do the trick :D
What about the chipset, has that got a fan?

To be honest - just watch the CPU - it is the most likely overheater.

Yeah it does it's like the one in my avater but made by cooler master. i was thinking of changing it to a blue orb but I don't think it will fit

ClaytonComp said:

Yeah it does it's like the one in my avater but made by cooler master. i was thinking of changing it to a blue orb but I don't think it will fit

I wouldn't bother to replace it unless you run into problems overclocking. Try running the rig with the side off to start with - let plenty air to it.

PenguinFreak said:

I wouldn't bother to replace it unless you run into problems overclocking. Try running the rig with the side off to start with - let plenty air to it.

Okay thanks all for the help If I have a problem you might be hearing from me lol :D

ClaytonComp said:

Okay thanks all for the help If I have a problem you might be hearing from me lol :D

No problem, feel free to email or PM me. Also, you may want to check out the Epox motherboards and AMD CPUs section for specific help. I'm a OS/Alt OS/General Hardware person - I dont drift into other forums much, but when I do, its usually to read.

Back