• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have too much free time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gresyth

Computer Abuser
I'm posting this from IE5 browser running on Windows 95 inside Vrtual PC 2007. :D
I developed a craving for Master of Orion 2, so I set it this up. Its been fun except for having to get used to not being able to use my mouse scroll wheel.

use your time in something else.. :) read a book, learn a programing language orrr instead of using windows 95 try to use linux =)

use your time in something else.. :) read a book, learn a programing language orrr instead of using windows 95 try to use linux =)

I'm out of books I have'nt read several times already.
I already know 7 programming languages...although C++ looks fun.
I'll try out Linux after I get this setup on a Win7 VM or maybe try Win7 in the VM running from XP?

Yes, I'm nuts.

I'm out of books I have'nt read several times already.
I already know 7 programming languages...although C++ looks fun.
I'll try out Linux after I get this setup on a Win7 VM or maybe try Win7 in the VM running from XP?

Yes, I'm nuts.

This kind of sounds like the way I was before I got into folding. There once was a time where I changed OS's almost weekly. I used to bounce around between XP, Win2K Pro, and a very old copy of Red Hat Linux I had laying around. I was trying to learn Linux, but didn't have the patience. Once I learned how to multi boot, I discovered Ubuntu. I haven't really had time to work with Linux lately, but if I ever have enough time again, I really want to try to learn.

That reminds me, can ya have a dual boot with XP and Win7?

That reminds me, can ya have a dual boot with XP and Win7?

Actually you can. The easiest way to get the boot loader set up right, is to install XP first on one partition or HDD, and then Win7 on the other partition or HDD. If you install the older OS first, then the newer one will recognize it and should set up the boot loader accordingly.

Actually you can. The easiest way to get the boot loader set up right, is to install XP first on one partition or HDD, and then Win7 on the other partition or HDD. If you install the older OS first, then the newer one will recognize it and should set up the boot loader accordingly.

Cooleth, I hope to have Win7 soon, but I don't want to totally abandon my beloved XP. :chair:
Yes, I know about the VM for Win7 to run XP.

Back in the day, I had as many as 6 Boot configs on my win95 and win 98 boxes.

Sure am glad I don't have to do that anymore. Having to boot into a different OS and/or config files for 1 program got old in a hurry.

EasyBCD. play with it it makes muliti booting easy. or try grub. you will need multi partissions as well to keep things from inter fearing with each other so grab a coppy of gparted as well.

Gresyth,

Yes you can dual boot Windows XP with Windows 7 however you can also install a virtual version of Windows XP assuming your hardware will support virtualization technology.

For more information on XP Mode, please go here: http://bit.ly/lvAjC

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

I'll say learn linux, and run the game in DOSbox.
Both Ubuntu and Fedora are fairly easy to set up for dualboot and as VM.
Though, if you go the dual boot route post in the AltOS forum before you install. The current installers aren't as obvious on asking where you install the bootloader, and if you aren't careful tend ot overwrite the Windows bootloader.

DOSbox got me into playing XCOM: UFO Defense again.

Back