• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just bought new IWILL KK266-R and Duron 800- see what happened.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IWILL_LOVER

Registered
Hi there,
After reviewing and considerating all reviews on Internet. I decided to go with
1/ IWILL KK266-R at $154
2/ Duron 800 at $66,
3/ KINGMAX SuperFast 128 RAM 150 mhz CAS 3 at $61.99.
4/ GLOBAL WIN FOP 38 at $25
5/ Arctic Silver II (SILVER1) at $ 9.00
6/ Sunon 80mm fan, 3 pin (SU80P3) at $ 8.00

You can see that I did a good homework for reading all reviews. All components I bought based on what I read.

The price is not expensive. The installation of the board was very easy, the configuration was easy too. The most interesting part was overclocking. Because I haven't received the 150 Mhz RAM so I used my Micron 128 100 Mhz to overclock on dual boot Windows ME and Windows 2000 advanced server, and 8 MB 2x AGP S3 video card, 20 GB IBM UDAM 66

I can easy to get 1020 with 10x102 at 1.825 V core. Above 102 my computer seem not to be stable. May be my Video Card is not good enough. I tested the system for 10 hours fulload the temperatures was amazing at 23 Celcius degree. the cooling fan did a good job. But a little bit noisy. My HDD ran almost double faster that ordinary UDMA 66 in Sisoft 2001 test. The CPU benmard in sisoft 2001 is faster than 1GHz Althlon Kt133. It is truly the motherboard and CPU to overclock.

I will wait until I get the 150 Mhz Ram to test FSB overclocking.

However, I had 4 problems that i need help from all of you guys.
1/ The parallel seem not working , becuase my DLINK MP3 connect to parallel port coundn't be recognized by the software. what is the reason??
2/ When I choese "add the hardware" in control panel. when the screen of Winow now rearsching your hardware showed up. The computer is halted all the time. Even I returned the speed to 800. This is not the overclock problem. May be the confict with NIC card ???? Help me.
3/ Sometimes, I booted the system, the HDD led working, the system started to Windows, but my monitor didn't turn on. I had to turn off and turn on the system then the monitor turned on. Is it because my video card couldn't work at that high speed frequency ???
4/Do I need to install VIA 4 driver in 1 ??? What is it .

Thank a lot in advance.

I know that on my machine, WinMe had trouble detecting hardware. It would bring up the "New Hardware detected" screen and lock up. What I do know is that the same exact copy of WinMe installed and ran just fine on other peoples PC's. So it's something with my specific hardware configuration. After a while I got sick of this problem and went back to Win98.

As far as Via 4 in 1, yes, it is necessary and you need to install it. latest official version is 4.25a but beta versions go as high as 4.28. I would not recommend running an AGP video card on a Via chipset board without first installing Via 4 in 1. N E way thats my 2 cents.

SickBoy (75th post!!!!! another star for me, woohoo!!)

Thanks Sickboy.
I may switch back to Win98 since my MP 3 Player couldn't work with Wind ME now.

Yea you must do the 4 in 1 drivers, Be carefull I hear that the new 4.28 drivers are funky do the 4.27 to be safe. and you should do these drivers from a clean boot especially before the sound and vid drivers, or try uninstall them before installing the 4 in 1. I just Junked my AMD Tbird and Raid board. Went back to PIII and Intel chipset. I spent months with the AMD-Via setup using Win98se and finally threw in the towel. To many things to disguss at this time. Good Luck. By the Way what Vid card do you have There are a few cards out there that are slow in getting the 2v for the AGP, That will cause the monitor to not go on without hitting the reset a few times.

THanks a lot.
I used AGP 3D Blade from Trident 8 MB RAM 2x.
You are right, the AGP card may cause the problem for monitor startup. Everytime I increased FSB above 100 Mhz the monitor couldn't turn on. I may buy the new one.
Thank for advices.

IWILL_LOVER (Feb 25, 2001 04:21 p.m.):

...However, I had 4 problems that i need help from all of you guys.
1/ The parallel seem not working , becuase my DLINK MP3 connect to parallel port coundn't be recognized by the software. what is the reason??
2/ When I choese "add the hardware" in control panel. when the screen of Winow now rearsching your hardware showed up. The computer is halted all the time. Even I returned the speed to 800. This is not the overclock problem. May be the confict with NIC card ???? Help me.
3/ Sometimes, I booted the system, the HDD led working, the system started to Windows, but my monitor didn't turn on. I had to turn off and turn on the system then the monitor turned on. Is it because my video card couldn't work at that high speed frequency ???
4/Do I need to install VIA 4 driver in 1 ??? What is it .

Thank a lot in advance.

Yes you need to install the 4in 1drivers. That should also help you detect the parallel port.

You may have to enable bi-directional or EPP on the paralel port in to detect certain devices - not sure about the mp3 player , but likely

Regarding overclocking, first off make sure that all devices you want to use are installed properly (check device manager).

Then with this board and an unlocked CPU you have two maximum parameters to play with:

- your CPU speed, defined by multipler and FSB

- your FSB speed.

Test them independently. For CPU speed go to 100MHz and up the multiplier until the system becomes instable. Then dial it back by 0.5 or 1, and that is the maximum range +/- a few MHz.

Next check out your FSB, by reducing the multiplier considerably (e.g. set it to 5) and upping the FSB in say 10MHz increments. Even at 165MHz (theortical max) you initially do not want to exceed you CPU's rated speed.

Now devide the CPU max speed by the max FSB speed. That determines your multiplier.

102 MHz is kinda low these days, even older PC100 memory should make it up to the 120 MHz range.

Good luck

Yo

Thank a lot Yo for your detail advices.

Yesterday, I receied my Kingmax superfart 150 Mhz RAM CAS 3.

I was excited and pluged it in the motherboard. At the start up screen, it still showed RAMCLK 100 MHz. Why not 133 MHz or 150 Mhz. After that , I set the jumper in KK266 R from mode 100-132 Mhz to mode 133-166 Mhz. My computer didn't boot. That's why I couldn't test FSB overclock.

I am not sure what's wrong with this. However, If I set it back to 100 Mhz, and overclock the RAM to 102x10=1020, it wored. Obove 102 computer didn' boot. I tried again and increase the RAM to 120x 8.5 = 1020 it worked again. Above 120 computer didn't boot.
Is that because my AGP card is not good.????

Have a nice day
Anh Tran

IWILL_LOVER (Feb 27, 2001 10:49 a.m.):
Thank a lot Yo for your detail advices.

Yesterday, I receied my Kingmax superfart 150 Mhz RAM CAS 3.

I was excited and pluged it in the motherboard. At the start up screen, it still showed RAMCLK 100 MHz. Why not 133 MHz or 150 Mhz. After that , I set the jumper in KK266 R from mode 100-132 Mhz to mode 133-166 Mhz. My computer didn't boot. That's why I couldn't test FSB overclock.

I am not sure what's wrong with this. However, If I set it back to 100 Mhz, and overclock the RAM to 102x10=1020, it wored. Obove 102 computer didn' boot. I tried again and increase the RAM to 120x 8.5 = 1020 it worked again. Above 120 computer didn't boot.

Have a nice day
Anh Tran

1020 may be the max that your chip can do. So, try lowering the multiplier further, that will allow you to bring up the FSB speed. Try 6x150=900 and then 6x155=960 and so on. I would guess that you will likely get 6.5x155 = 1010, which is a lot faster than 10x102

Good luck

Yo

IWILL_LOVER (Feb 27, 2001 10:49 a.m.):

It sounds as though you left the multiplier at 10x when you rebooted. The comp would then try to boot at 133x10, or 135x10 if you left the fsb set to 102 (135 being equivalent to 102). There's no way the chips going to run at that speed. If you want to run at 133MHz, set the multiplier back to 7.5 and the fsb to 100, then switch off and change the jumper. When you reboot it'll start at 7.5x133=997MHz, which the chip can do.

Sounds as though something is definitely limiting your fsb - try raising the VIO to 3.4 or 3.5 (dunno what options the Iwill has), see if that helps stability at all.

Is the official 4in1 428va the buggy one? Has anyone tried this new driver?

Thanks a lot El.
I do love my IWILL KK266 R. It is super stable. I overclocked my Duron 800 to 1020 in few second. I ran 24 hours test with this board.
This is a well designed board and very easy followed catalog.
As you know, I am a overclock newbie. I never overclock any thing. This time I wanted to risk , so I spent whole night to read the review on internet. Finally come up with the IWILL and DURON, FOB 38, ArticTHermal Silver 2, Kingmax 150 Mhz RAM. I order whole stuffs at 3 o'clock AM.
I did a pencil trick and print out a lot paper show how to use the pencil trick. It was much easier than I though. Just few time practised on the paper before did it on CPU. only 4 lines needed.
But it was much harder to apply thermal silever 2. I spent haft an hour to do that with the old credit card. The temperature now is 22.2 C . Really cool.
The only thing that I do have some problem with my old AGP and paralell port for MP3 player. The printer works well thought.
Have a nice day.

thanks for the info! does the iwill Bios have 4way interleaving? what review did you read? I like the anand review pimps the board nicely. I need to order one. Are you run the drives in a raid array?

Dear El,
I will you the link soon. I did install RAID driver, but I didn't run RAID drives. I had only one IBM 20 GB UDMA 66. However, my drive ran faster than other UDMA 66 almost twice in Sisoft Sandre 2001.
May be the controller is very fast.
Goodnight.

Dear Jmy,
That was an interesting question. As you can check on www.pricewatch.com the price of Duron 800 - $66 and Duran 600-$45 only difference of $21. and not much for Duron 750.
so I thought that I should by Duron 800 because it was cheap and I could trade it later if I want. Besides, I have read review in many site, they all said that Duron 800 is the best choice for overclock, becuase it is very easy to get 1GH without requiring special RAM. I did overclock my Duron 800 to 1020 using my old Micron 128 RAM 100 Mhz by 10x102. If you do it with Duron 600 you need very good RAM 133 MHz or 150 Mhz to increase FSB to get that high speed. That's why I chose Duron 800 at $66.
Good night.

4.28 and .29 suck bra, stick to 4.24v2 or 4.25 and use the agp 4.05 from the new 1, go to amdmb.com for the links. anything w/an 8 in it sucks, that means u too dx8 lol.

good luck,
monza

tb800@1000 (7.5x133)
asus a7v133
32mb gts (8001 marks in 3dmark)

IWILL_LOVER (Feb 27, 2001 11:12 p.m.):
...If you do it with Duron 600 you need very good RAM 133 MHz or 150 Mhz to increase FSB to get that high speed. That's why I chose Duron 800 at $66.
Good night.

Sorry but this is not true. If you can unlock a chip then you can apply any multiplier and any reasonable FSB and any combination of the two. So in theory the 600 Duron may have allowed you to use the very same 10x102 that you are using now, only for $21 less - see why manufacturerers do not like overclockers? #:eek:)

Now on the practical side emperical data semms to indicate that the higher rated chips also allow higher overclocking. So for you extra $21 you probably got an extra 100 or so MHz.

Yo

Back