• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just bought new IWILL KK266-R and Duron 800- see what happened.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dear Yo,
You are competely right, I just meant that not all Duron 600 can get that high overclocking speed because it over 400 Mhz higher. That's why I thought that I should go with Duron 800. It must easier to get over 1 GHz with Duron 800.

Onemore thing, when you use 133 Mhz bus. Did you IWILL show the speed or the ram. My motherboard only shows RAM CLK 100 MHz. Besides, do the AGP card affect to the ability of overclocking. Do you need the good AGP card to overclock? What AGP card are you using now?

Thanks in advance.

Peace brother, I did not mean to flame you, just thought I straighten out things, but I guess you got it... You are probably right that in general an 800 will ultimately take you higher than a 600 chip.

I do not exactly understand what your first question is related to. The bios does not show the ram speed, just the fsb speed, which is adjustable from 100-132 (100FSB setting) and from 133-165 and supposedly 200MHz with new bios).

Memory can be set to fsb or fsb+33. So you can for instance run PC 133 memory with a 100FSB, though I am not sure how that relates to running the chip and memory both at 133.

As for AGP bus it should be 66.6MHz, which is 2/3 of FSB @ 100MHz and 1/2FSB @ 133.3. Either the via chipset supports these values or the AGP is completely decoupled - not sure, but it's really not a big deal, since most card can handle 80MHz and most GeForce cards do well over 90MHz. So even if you hit 165FSB that would still be only 82.5 - definitely no problem for GeForce and unlikely to disturb other cards, moreover you have vio changes of up to 10% available, which further helps to stabilize cards and memory.

The PCI bus running at 1/4 FSB is the bigger issue. Over 160Mhz we are talking about 40MHz instead of 33.3. At 20% over spec and 3 or 4 devices something is likely to give

I am using an older ASUS 3400 TNT card and it works just fine

So long

Yo.

Yo

i have been trying to decide between the duron 800 and the tbird 750 @$72 ..only $6 more with more L2 cache and maybe copper interconnects (no one seems to know for sure, i even e-mailed amd) but from reading the "forums" it seems like a good choice. amd basically said every chip is different.. i which someone could sort out this blue/green copper/alum issue.....

jmy (Feb 28, 2001 10:26 p.m.):
i have been trying to decide between the duron 800 and the tbird 750 @$72 ..only $6 more with more L2 cache and maybe copper interconnects (no one seems to know for sure, i even e-mailed amd) but from reading the "forums" it seems like a good choice. amd basically said every chip is different.. i which someone could sort out this blue/green copper/alum issue.....

If these chips are close in price my vote would go to the TBird. Even if it does not clock as high as the duron, you will get better perfomance. I'd say 900TBird = about a 1.1GHz Duron.

Yo

Hello, IWILL_LOVER, and thank you for your energy in providing so much useful information.

Please forgive a newbie; can you tell me what is the pencil trick, and where you find info on this, and applying thermal silver? I gather that both are related to cooling teqniques.

Your post is so detailed, I'm tempted to skip the neccessary reading and just buy, build, and OC based on your results alone! But of course I will continue to learn more before spending money. I can see I still have a ways to go.

TIA, Taylor

I did a pencil trick and print out a lot paper show how to use the pencil trick. It was much easier than I though. Just few time practised on the paper before did it on CPU. only 4 lines needed.
But it was much harder to apply thermal silever 2. I spent haft an hour to do that with the old credit card. The temperature now is 22.2 C . Really cool...

Dear Taylor,

First of All, pencil trick is used to unlock your AMD CPU, by defaut, AMD Duron cannot be overclok be cause the manufacture don't want you to do it. That's why some genius have find out how to unclock it. You can use the 2B pencil and draw lines to connect L1 bridge on the CPU. After that your CPU is completely unlocked. To know how to use pencil trick, you can find a tone of it on internet. I used the simple one with very clear picture. It advertised for overclock kit, but don't bother about the kit. You can do it by yourseft.

You can find the review of arctic silver 2 here also.

Here is the official website of Artic Silver 2

The instruction of how to apply is here

The review about the arctic silver 2 it here. Oh man, it is a lot :-D

Finally, I found that Cluboverclocker website is very good to reference. http://www.cluboverclocker.com

Have fun !!! and good luck

Dear Rob,
Thanks for advise about FSB overclocking. I have just updated my latest BIOS from IWILL website. It really did correct some IRQ problem in my computer. I think the latest BIOS it very good.
I could overlocking by FSB now. It was nice.
Have a nice day.

I just update my BIOS to TUCKK227. What is the diffrence ?
Anyone can tell?
Thanks

IWILL_LOVER (Mar 07, 2001 11:26 p.m.):
I just update my BIOS to TUCKK227. What is the diffrence ?
Anyone can tell?
Thanks

You can use more aggressive memory settings (e.g. "Turbo") which with good memory can improve your throughput by 10%. Use Sisoft's Sandra to measure before and after.

Yo

Thank you very much , Yo.
After I installed KURK BIOS. My network card didn't work anymore.
:-D

I have updated the new BIOS TURBO 0307, I worked great.
THe new feature that it lets me play with my RAM, I can adjust the RAM to CAS 2-2-2, 3-3-3 , and 2-3-2 all kind of speed.
The only thing I feeled strange that the only thing I can get 1000 hz is 100x10.
I couldn't get 1000 Hz by reducing multiflier and increasing my RAM speed. The monitor will not start.
Any one can help.
Thanks.

Update for FSB overclocking.
After reading the article in Anandtech.com date March 20,2001 about overcloking FSB, I have succesed oveclocking my FSB to boot at 133 Mhz.
I closed the L6 brigde on my CPU Duron 800. and reduce the default multify from 8 to 7. NOw, when I change FSB to 133, it will boot easily.

nice going... the silver is fairy easy to apply, just dont start out with too much, or you'll end up with it too thick...

Shark

what slot you got what cards in

i ask because these VIA chipsets share alot of slots with other things and if you got a card that needs aslot that dont share then you have problems

read your book and see what shares with what

also anything your not running ....TURN IT OFF

if your not running USB then turn it off in the bios (on a KT7A-RAID usb is shared with slot 4) and if your not running RAID the turn it off (KT7A-RAID its shared with slot 5) so check your board manual and see if your having these problems

i say this because i had alot of problems at first and found out it was all conflicts !

good luck and happy OCing

Thank you for all your advices.
As I have said that I succeeded to connect L6 and reduced default multifly of Duron 800 from 8 to 7 so that I can boot with FSB over 133 mhz.
However, my happiness just exist only 2 days. Few days ago, I turned on the computer. It didn't start. I reseted to 100 Mhz FSB and defaut setting in BIOS, I couldn't belive on my eyes. The defaut return 800 Mhz, it meant that the multiply has returned back 8. May be the pecil has sworn. I don't wanna try again to open my board. It is a mess. My CPU with the silver thermal made it like ****. I applied too much !
My advice is if you want to connect the L6 or L1 bridge, use pencil as the temporary aproach. Buy the tool to connect the circuit in electric store to make sure the L6, L1 bridge will connect forever. YOu don't have to open your case, your fan again.

After almost 2 month played with my Iwill board and Duron 800, I have found the setting to made my system stable.
the 9.5 x 106 @ 1.75V is perfect setting. for me.
Have a nice day.

Back