• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i just diabled messeneger

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
No it is not. If plug and play is not enabled and running, the messenger service may not function completely correctly. There are no services which are dependent upon messenger though, only services which messenger is dependent upon. ;)

Messenger is used for communication between workstations... If I had your IP, and you had messenger enabled and running, I could send you a netsend message from the command prompt. ;)

Good questions.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
What syntax did you use? What error did you receive?

You not only have to enable messenger, but it also has to be started in order for it to work.

I will find the appropriate form and post it here for you to try.

EDIT: here
:D

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
The messanger service was intended for use by network administrators. The Admin could do a netsend command (or whatever) to quickly pass info to the entire network. Unfortunately, SPAMers quickly found this feature and exploited it. With service pack 2 comming out for XP, messager will be turned 'off' by default. Turning this service off will not affect your machine at all.

Please note, this is not the same thing as MSN messanger.;)