• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i just dont get it..Slow geforce 4 :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmmm

I am wondering the same thing. Ok so my question is, wtf can we all do about this? I think calling Nvidia or VisionTek (in my case) would be pointless. I doubt they will listen to me or offer any fix, in fact, I believe they'd think **I** was doing something wrong and the card was fine, which is not the case.

Im thinking the same thing, but I dont want to wait until a solution is found in 4 weeks or so. heck, nvidia may not even know of this flaw yet. and I am very afraid that this will never be fixed. is there a new beta driver available already?

I have a visionTek TI 4600,I have yet to see what you guys have run into.I also have Ghost recon(havent tried it yet) on my machine and would like to know what program you guys are using to find out what your framerates are running at while you play. I can see if I have the same trouble.Right now I'm using the latest drivers off of Nvidia site(28.32) and running 98SE.

Ok,I guess I'm lucky.My frame rates with the game(Ghost Recon) running at 1024/768 in 32bit,Antialiasing at Quincunx,vertical sync on,with all settings maxed I still dont drop below the low 50 range.Quake 3,settings maxed never went below 80 and was at 91 most of the time.I hope you guys can figure it out,i wish I had the answer for ya! Good Luck :)

I don't have the Geforce 4600, but a dude on my Delta Force Land Warrior squad does. He has the Visiontek I think, that was bought from Best Buy. He installed, doing a fresh format, using Windows XP, on a P4 Northwood clocked at 2ghz with 256megs of DDR ram.

Using Fraps to get the FPS in Delta Force Land Warrior, he averages only about 5-10fps than I do with a original Radeon 32meg DDR and a AMD rig thats in my sig.

I am dissapointed in this, as I would like to have GF4, but if it dosn't help my Fav game much, whats the point?

In fact, just like said above, there were many times in a game I would be getting higher FPS than him, when standing in the same spot.

ALso to note, I almost forgot this... even when he ran at 640-480 he didn't do much better than me. I don't think its the refresh rate, because neither of our FPS went much over 40fps, only hit higher numbers when looking straight up at a slightly cloudy sky.

AKDUDE

Im not sure but I think those numbers are also pretty low for a Ti4600. I cant say for sure since I dont play eighter of those games. but I have UT and I think its comparable to quake3. I get also about 80 to 90 fps @1280x1024 with 4x AA in that game, but when it gets hot on the screen it can drop to 50 fps and less. that is low since I got far over 120 fps max before with my radeon 8500 and same settings.

I have read that a number of people have fixed the stuttering by reducing the AGP Aperture to maybe ,64 or 32mb.

Tony in Miami

I have never ran a radeon so I cant say one way or another,but i do own GF3 and i used it on my P4 [email protected] and i can tell you that there is a picture quaility difference like I've never seen on my video upgrades.I build my systems mostly to play games and what I saw almost brought me to tears.If you take Idenical systems and jump from a ti500 to a 4600 something else is wrong if you cant see the difference.But back to the post.What operating systems are we all using?Chipsets..ect if we can start to narrow this down maybe we can find the solution.

I suggest people say if they have the trouble or not and list the compontents and operating system.Maybe its a bug/driver issue with certain chipsets or operating systems.

Using VIA KT266A board w/ 786MB (3x 256MB) Corsair PC2400. OS is Windows 2000 SP2.
as for the quality, I cant see a difference to my radeon except maybe a much shorter texture resolution distance (dunno how it is called, you know the distance to the next lower resolution of textures... if you look down a hallway i.e. right in front of you its pretty high resolution, about 20 feet away it suddenly gets worse the next 20 feet even worse etc.). but since I use AA much I cant say for sure, since this effect is almost gone with AA at 4x. say with my radeon it was about 20 feet for the next lower resolution and with the Ti4600 its about 10 feet and it has much more steps which looks really ugly. my radeon had only 2 or 3 steps, this one has at least 4.

well i am running with the system in my sig on Windows XP Pro, however i believe this is a driver issue because ppl with all different kinds of motherboards/chipsets/os's are having the same problem..here are some links to other threads at other boards relating to the same problem..

http://discuss.madonion.com/forum/s...1343&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=all

http://www.icronticforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24296

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=639676#post639676

Some games seem to be affected by this and some not.So is it the games or the drivers?B/C some games seem to run very fast and they are graphic intense while others wont that you would expect to fly.I would have to agree that it seems too wide spead to be chipset or operating system.It was just a thought.Has anyone adressed this with Nivida or there card company (Visiontek ect)?

EDIT:
I did notice that when I loaded the drivers that came in the box for the card that it needed files from 2 separate versions.When I updated they where all one again,but the new drivers lowered my 3dmarks score by 150 points or so.At the time I havnt played any games so I'm not sure what difference the old ones would have been.

Last edited:
I think all games are affected. so far Ive tested mechcommander2, mechwarrior4, tribes 1 & 2, halflife (cs & tfc), MOHAA, UT, AvP2 and operation flashpoint. they are all much slower than on my radeon. ive tried to switch to D3D in games that support it, but it will get even slower when I do that.

I have the feeling it is more than just a driver flaw or misconfiguration...

ok guys i believe I HAVE A FIX!! i have been talking to a very knowledgable (thats a chance in a million lol) tech support guy from visiontek through email and i think we have this problem fixed! i am going to post all of my emai;s to and from him in thos epost..try and follow his instructions and remember the card MUST be on either IRQ 10 or 11 ALONE!

the first message was exactly how i started this thread as..

reply : I had the same issue once and it turn out to be that I was sharing the IRQ number for my video card with other devices. Make sure that is not the case. Let me know what you come up with. Jason

me: Thank you for the reply Jason i appreciate it, i was really expecting a "its not out problem; sorry" answer but i didn't get that, and for that i am impressed. i had checked the IRQ's and i am running windows XP Pro and according to the microsoft database XP likes to put more then one device on the same IRQ, it used to be that i had about 9 of my devices where all on irq 19! but according to microsoft that was not a problem..but after the format they are now spased out pretty well withought more then 2 on the same irq, i have attatched a jpeg with a screenshot of my irq's for you. i hope we can find a solution to this problem. :)

reply: How many processors does your PC have?

me: as in how many cpu's am i running in this computer? only 1...the P4 1.7@2ghz

reply: You have the video card on a virtual IRQ#. Our card need to be on IRQ10 or 11 by itself. Check to see which driver you are running in your Computer category in device manager. It most likely ACPI Uniprocessor which is the culprit. Attached is a screen shot of where the driver is. First try changing the driver to "Advanced Configuration Power Interface". See if that corrects the problem. If not you will have to change the driver to "Standard PC"(like I had to)lol. That will let your bios do the assigning of IRQ#s. Let me know how it works out. Jason

me: thank you for that reply jason! i changed it to Advanced Configuration Power Interface. and that didnt seem to work but then i changed it to Standard PC and it moved all my irq's around..but the graphics card is still sharing irq 12 with my firewire controller..however i decided for the hell of it to boot up tribes 2 and for the first time with this card it broke the 65fps barrier and actually hit 100fps! it still went as low as 45fps in crowded areas but the perfomance did increase! however the performance increase in flight simulator 2002 was only about 1-2fps..is there any other way to get that card on its own irq? thanks again!

reply: You may be able to change those setting in your Bios. Look for a section on PCI/PNP configuration. See if you have Pin assignments. Those pins are slots on the board in which you can specify IRQ#s. Otherwise, put the firewire card in a different slot. See if that changes it. Looks like we're moving forward though!! Jason

me: yup, went into the bios and i have PnP/PCI and i changed the video card onto irq 11 because you said it had to be on 10 or 11 and it was on 12..welp anywho now it is on 11 with 2 other things :( i have attatched a screenshot of it,m anywho i am going to type out a layout of the bios screen for PnP/PCI for you it looked like this:

Force Update ESCD- Disabled
Resources Controlled by- Auto(ESCD)
PCI/VGA Palette Snoop- Disabled
Allocate IRC to VGA- Enabled
Allocate IRQ to USB- Enabled
PCI Latency Timer- 32 PCI Clocks
PIRQ_0 Use IRQ No.- and i set this one to 11 as this is the one for my video card
PIRQ_1 Use IRQ No.- Auto
PIRQ_2 Use IRQ No.- Auto
PIRQ_3 Use IRQ No.- Auto

reply: Try manually setting the other pin assignments to different IRQ#s. Try moving card around in their slots keeping the first and last slots open. I'm taking off for the day so I will be able to continue in the AM. I think you're almost there so keep at. Jason

so anywho what i did after that was change the rest of the PIRQ_1,2, and 3 from Auto to just a random irq but not 10 or 11 rebooted the vid card was on irq 10 all by itself booted up tribes and for the first time since i installed the card it broke past 65fps with all settings on as high as they go and hit 107fps! and never dropped below 49fps even in a huge crowd of people but it average about 75fps, flight simulator got a boost as well and Ghost Recon with everyhting on high never dropped below the mid 50's and averaged in the high 70's, i have not tested MOHAA yet but i am sure it got the boost as well..tell me if this helps you at all, i sure hope it does!!

that explains alot.I just checked and mine is on 10 alone.Which would explain why my FPS where higher.Thanks for clearing that up...Good Info!

Darn.......... 10000 is a good score....... but u may have to reinstall those games or ur os- cause some flight simulators have "Chosen" cards that they will only use unless otherwise specifyed-
Spyder

Back