• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just got a P4 2.4B C1, and I'm not happy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RotatingFan

Registered
FIZZ3 said:

That's not a very good overclock indeed. May I ask where you got your 2.4B C1 chip?

Mine 'fell of a truck'. It was new and unused, so i bought for a mere $170

btw my cpu has all 12 caps filled at the back.

I'm running 2,6Ghz (not stable with prime95 at _any_ speed above 2,5Ghz no matter what the voltage. But does SupaPI 8M and SiSoft Burnin flawlessly) because my rimms can do PC1160 :D Dont want to waste bandwidth :)

Last edited:

kiltz

i burnt in my 2.4b c1 for a couple days with prime95 with i first got it. right now its fully stable at 170 FSB, 1.6vcore (1.58 actual).
i got mine from atacom.com, sl6ef costa rica.

marphyre

Registered
So far I haven't been too impressed by most of these C1 chips...I had a 2.8 (obviously C1), that wouldn't budge over it's regular speed. Even at a 140fsb (2.94) that lil guy wouldn't run prime for more than 10 seconds before failing. So I'm back to my trusty 'ol [email protected]...that 2.8 got traded off rather quickly :p 155fsb is much better than 133fsb, especially putting the memory up to 412 instead of 354 :)

Phrostbyte

Phrostbyte, I have been away from the overclocking arena for a few months so I am not well atuned to overclocking a 133MHz chip. I am curious about a few things.

I am assuming the internal multiplier for your 2.53 chip is 19X. Does that mean you are running a 166MHz FSB to achieve 3.153 Gig? If so did you let everything clock up proportionally or did you back off on the PCI bus speed and especially the memory speed? Also what mobo and memory are you using?

Thanks for answering these questions as I am again toying with upgrading for a change. I am now running a 2.0 Gig at 2.5 Gig. This is not too bad but I have never been happy with my memory. I have a TH7II so I had to back off the memory to a 3X multiplier. Someone was nice enough to send me 133Mhz DRCGs but I have not yet been in a position to solder them in place. I am thinking of a new mobo but I would like to stay with the RDRAM I already have.

To answer your question about raising the FSB, since I am running on an ASUS P4PE I can set my AGP/PCI speeds independent of the FSB...I have them Locked at 66/33 so that they are not disturbed. As for my memory, it is Crucial PC2100 DDR clocked up at 166 (333DDR). As for my CPU, it will clock higher, I was posting at 3.325GHz still at the default voltage, but it was too much for my ram and wouldnt boot into windows. The CPU itself could have probably used a little more juice also. Once the rest of my stuff gets here for my vapochill, I will really start to push it to see what it will do....

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

Dirty_Punk said:
my 2400 is quite lucky with 3380mhz at 1.72-5v stable, 3150 at 1.525 (1.47 readed by bios) stable, but have tryed 5 2400B C1 before it

yeah I tried 3 including this one... one did 2.5 one did 2.8 one this one seems to do 2.9.. maybe if I keep going I'll get to 3GHz..lol

RuffRyder88

sorry this is off subject.. BUT

marphyre i noticed you had a bd7II, which i am going to install, and was wondering on the voltage and temp readings. How accurate are they, i've head it posts the voltages .5v higher than they actually are, and temps about 5 degress higher.
Can you comment?

BTW, i ordered a p4 2.4ghz, and received a C1 , but had to return because the pins were bent. Hopefully my replacement will not be a C1 (didn't think i'd be saying that a few weeks ago!)

SBeaver

Re: Re: I just got a P4 2.4B C1, and I'm not happy

stroligo said:

Try cooling the MCH (that's the big Intel chip with the heatsink on it near the CPU).

How much did you actually gain by that extra fan Ed?
I have been away and unable to try it on my own Albatron so I don't know if it helps or not.
Mine diesn't go over 152fsb or so with 1,725v and it's a C1.
I'll try it later when I have the time.

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

Ok guys she seems stable at 2915MHz with 1.825v at 45C load running prime overnight and passed... dam I wish I didn't have to use so much voltage.. oh well...

micamica1217

Overclocker456 said:
Ok guys she seems stable at 2915MHz with 1.825v at 45C load running prime overnight and passed... dam I wish I didn't have to use so much voltage.. oh well...

that's alot of volts.:eek:

I see S.N.D.S. in your near future.

please cut back on that vcore, say to 1.725v or less.

mica

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

micamica1217 said:

that's alot of volts.:eek:

I see S.N.D.S. in your near future.

please cut back on that vcore, say to 1.725v or less.

mica

I'll take my chances... not to mention "S.N.D.S" is not even proven... It's like the concept of "burning in":rolleyes:

Pereira

My 2.4B C1 sl6ef (Philippines, pack date October 10 2002) boots into Windows at 166 fsb, but it’s far from being stable. I can run it at 2.8 GHz (156 fsb) with vcore at 1.625 V and it runs 3d Mark, Sandra, all my games, etc without problems, but fails to run Super Pi and Prime95.

The highest acceptable fsb I can run it at is 150 (2.7 GHz) with vcore at 1.575 V, but it still fails to run Prime95 although it runs everything else (Super Pi, Hot CPU Tester Pro, memtest, etc, etc) flawlessly for hours.

Pereira

Creat|ve

Registered
I had one from 28/11 Overclocker and it was **** also. Stable a 2990 at 1.825vcore only. 3060 was all it was good for to get into windows for a screenie :mad:

Behold, my new 2.4b C1;

snap.jpg

Week 45 C1 SL6EF Malaysia Pack date 20/11/02
Thats the highest for a windows screenie. She does 185 for Sandra and 180 for 3DMark and everyday running while folding.

24/7 running;
3.24Load.jpg

ddr480.jpg

I bought this off a friend in the UK. Finally I have a good cpu!!! She benched at 3dmark at 184fsb for my friend but Ive only got 180fsb max stable so far in early testing.

Vulpes

Overclocker456, how far had u been able to push your board?

My asus P4B533 cannot go over 140fsb whatever i try doing with it (memory problems, thus prime problems) i have tried a p4 1.8a (which now runs at 2.8ghz in ALTPIMP's rig) and a new 2.0ghz C1 Cpu (which now runs here at 2.8 as well, it is 140 fsb) so my P4B533 has a definate limit at 140 fsb. Cant wait for new granite bay mobos to show up :)

Op Ivy

Registered
I have a P4B533 board also and I have the FSB at 165 right now, so I dont think the boards the problem.