• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just killed a BAD kitty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I couldn't take it any more. With every update it just got worse. I ran OS-X Tiger 10.4 for over 2 years without needing so much as a reboot, ever. So with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 release it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Everything was breaking and nothing was stable. With heavy heart I installed Windows 7. I REALLY wanted to install Mint Linux but I was going to need Windows anyway at least in a virtual machine to run more than a handful of Windows apps, so I decided to save myself the virtualbox install and the 8GB virtual machine file and go straight to 7. I feel dirty and shamed. Can I get a hug?

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
I've heard some pretty bad things about Snow Leopard... most of the Apple fanboys are starting to hide now... i really did like Leopard (though i ran it on my PC since i can't afford a Mac lol)

I have to say though... you won't be disappointed with Win 7 :)

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Its like find out santa is not real all over again, im going to be damaged goods for life now. Im disappointed to say the least young man. :p

/me crosses FudgeNuggets of the Christmas card list

No hugs from me

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
I've heard some pretty bad things about Snow Leopard... most of the Apple fanboys are starting to hide now... i really did like Leopard (though i ran it on my PC since i can't afford a Mac lol)

I have to say though... you won't be disappointed with Win 7 :)

It depends what you are looking for. On a scale of Vista to Linux, it falls closer to Linux then to Vista (in terms of enjoyment of use) Its still really naggy though. Overall for a Windows experience it has improved but its still irritating for a lot of things. (I suppose linux can be as well, for me the difference is that I can usually iron out whatever irritates me in linux whereas with Windows you need 3rd party tools often otherwise your stuck)

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Overall for a Windows experience it has improved but its still irritating for a lot of things. (I suppose linux can be as well, for me the difference is that I can usually iron out whatever irritates me in linux whereas with Windows you need 3rd party tools often otherwise your stuck)

Although Linux irritates me, there is an upside and that is the sense of achievement when you learn something new or make something work a sensation I have never ever encountered with Windows which only irritates me.

VinnyTAMU

I couldn't take it any more. With every update it just got worse. I ran OS-X Tiger 10.4 for over 2 years without needing so much as a reboot, ever. So with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 release it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Everything was breaking and nothing was stable.

This has not been my experience at all with Snow Leopard. I have had only two problems with Snow Leopard, first is that two or three packages in MacPorts do not compile in Snow Leopard, the biggest one for me is NTFS-3G/MacFuse, and I had an issue with Virtual Box, however since the last Virtual Box update it is better now.

What exactly have you had problems with?

Dapman02

I am actually having a great time with my new mac. Picked up a mac pro yesterday and I'm really enjoying it I'm getting crazy amounts of battery life and the hardware is beautiful. I do think OSX is overrated though.

Bluefalcon13

I am rather happ with my first macbook pro. Granted, its a hand-me-down, and a few years old (non-unibody, 2.4ghz w/ 8600GT) but about a week after owning it, I purchased the upgrade to Snow Leopard, and haven't had any issues with it. I am more happy with OS-X than Windows (even Win7) from the fact that everything is always working for me, and requires minimal effort to get new things working.

While Windows 7 is a step in the right direction, as far as UI is concerned, I do not think the are anywhere near the quality that OS-X has in the UI department. Mind you, I still use my Windows 7 computer more than my Mac, but thats cause the Mac is my 'work' Laptop, and the Windows computer is my gaming machine.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
It's amusing, I recently went to an apple seminar on Snow Leopard Server, several times during the presentation the spinning beach ball appeared requiring the apple presenters do force quit tricks to continue. Even more amusing that this was in microsoft's backyard. :D

I am still quite happy with regular old Leopard on my 12" G4. Obsolete
they say? No way. You intel mac owning guys can keep your buggy 10.6 OS. :)

Trombe

It's amusing, I recently went to an apple seminar on Snow Leopard Server, several times during the presentation the spinning beach ball appeared requiring the apple presenters do force quit tricks to continue.

Pfft that's nothing, check out this linux presentation where a room full of linux nerds spend forever just trying to get a laptop to output to a projector. And then when they do get it working, it's stuck in like 320x400 resolution. And then starting the presentation full screen fails, so they have to close out and manually select each slide. Talk about fail.

TheCheat

I couldn't take it any more. With every update it just got worse. I ran OS-X Tiger 10.4 for over 2 years without needing so much as a reboot, ever. So with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 release it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Everything was breaking and nothing was stable. With heavy heart I installed Windows 7. I REALLY wanted to install Mint Linux but I was going to need Windows anyway at least in a virtual machine to run more than a handful of Windows apps, so I decided to save myself the virtualbox install and the 8GB virtual machine file and go straight to 7. I feel dirty and shamed. Can I get a hug?

Sorry to hear that snow leopard treated you so badly. What specifically did it for you? I switched to my PC as my main rig because all of sudden iTunes on my mac refused to load music in a timely manner. Sometimes it took minutes for the music to play. After making sure my external wasnt the problem, I ran diagnostics on the mac and I cant seem to find any hardware thats malfunctioning... so I had to place blame on the software. Enter Windows 7.

Dapman02

Sorry to hear that snow leopard treated you so badly. What specifically did it for you? I switched to my PC as my main rig because all of sudden iTunes on my mac refused to load music in a timely manner. Sometimes it took minutes for the music to play. After making sure my external wasnt the problem, I ran diagnostics on the mac and I cant seem to find any hardware thats malfunctioning... so I had to place blame on the software. Enter Windows 7.

Just like windows it's probably best to reformat when it starts to do that. I mainly like Mac's hardware more than there software. (although I'm disappointed that my mac pro had a nice scratch on the bottom of it right out of the box. Bringing it back tomorrow)

TheCheat

Just like windows it's probably best to reformat when it starts to do that. I mainly like Mac's hardware more than there software. (although I'm disappointed that my mac pro had a nice scratch on the bottom of it right out of the box. Bringing it back tomorrow)

Whats sad is that it is a a fresh install. I'll probably try rolling it back to 10.5 sooner or later, but exam time is around the corner and my time is better spent studying for now.

Mr.Guvernment

Wow, Apples QA going to hell, i mean how can you have such a buggy OS when you dictate the hardware it goes on!!!

MRD

Part of me really wants a Mac, but then again, I wouldn't get to tinker with hardware, so that would take all the fun out of it. I might get a Mac laptop someday... if I win the lotto.

All of this snow leopard hate is making me think about waiting though.

Interesting that despite snow leopard being so buggy, it doesn't seem to be hurting Mac enthusiasm at all... their market share continues to grow, even offering a pricier product in a bad economy. I'm sure Vista was much worse, but the bad press it got was infinitely worse. I wonder how much of it is just aesthetics.

Randyman...

Every OS has bugs, and Snow Leopard is no exception. However I believe your above statement is unfair.

I'd disagree with that :) . Wasn't Snow Leopard supposed to be a nice "Maintenance Upgrade" to Leopard? As in "Make it more stable"? Kind of like W7 was to Vista? Plus, Apple controls all hardware. I don't think Guvernment's comment was unfair at all...

I'd also hint at the fact that SL Launch was likely rushed simply to beat W7's Launch by a good margin (perception > quality over 'yander IMO)...

:cool:

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
The tech business park I work on also includes Apple as such I know a few of the tech guys from encounters in the local bar and they all very critical of Snow Leopard, which is not commonly seen.
For the first time as well, it appears that the latest apple branded 'thing' is not being jumped on by all the fanboys, I know many staff who do not use it through choice.

Mac users and staff from my opinion are possibly the most passionate and devoted bunch around IT. They usually have blind faith in the brand as such from my perspective to turn devoted followers to people who are critical they must have done something wrong.

I've not used Snow Leopard myself other than to have a quick look so my comments are based around how I perceive apple users and staff are viewing it.

Dapman02

lol, so I just checked and I'm not running snow leopard, I'm running leopard :shrug:. I would have thought that apple would have had it upgraded, but I guess not.

So, should I not upgrade to snow leopard