• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just "won" the opportunity to buy a 3080 Ti!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Newegg. EVGA so the markup was minimal. $1669 and some change bundled with an 850 EVGA PS that's 80+ Gold. Not bad under the circumstances.

My folding has dropped off but once this thing gets in.....

Now who's cool? I mean besides that person. I mean besides that person too. I mean ME. I'm who's cool. Awe who needs ya anyway? My Mom says I'm cool and that's all I need. ;)

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Nice Don.:cheers:

They dropped me off the list for some reason stopped getting notifications 2 weeks ago. I may have turned off their notifications by accident. :-/

torin3

Nice Don.:cheers:

They dropped me off the list for some reason stopped getting notifications 2 weeks ago. I may have turned off their notifications by accident. :-/

I just checked and I still have 4 model 3080 cards on the notify list and notifications haven't been sent on any of them. I think they've been on their for almost a year now.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
Congrats Don! :cheers:

I'm in the same boat as torin, been on the evga list for several models & my number never came up.

bmwbaxter

I can attest to the beastness of the 3080ti. And like most others I haven't heard anything on my EVGA notifies. :(

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I just checked and I still have 4 model 3080 cards on the notify list and notifications haven't been sent on any of them. I think they've been on their for almost a year now.
I was referring to the Newegg Shuffle....

Did you just get the email from EVGA?
Hello,
You are receiving this email because your account shows that it has three or more cards in the notify queue.
As we continue to monitor the queue to get cards to gamers sooner, we appreciate all the feedback to help us to improve the queue system.
Due to the overwhelming demand for the 30 Series Products, our first step was to close the notify queue until we can fulfill them. Management team then took an extra step to prioritize those that have not received a card versus others who have been able to get multiple GPUÂ’s.
After reading the feedback, there were legitimate concerns about retroactively changing the queue function. We are sorry for any frustration this caused, this was not the companyÂ’s intention. Today we are going to make the following updates:

1. The queue system will be rolled back to the previous rule.
    1. Anyone who missed a card from Monday, October 4th, will be notified on the next release.
    2. EVGA will continue to send notifies through October 8th.
  2. In order to get cards to gamers sooner, please go to the notify page here and keep selected your top two cards that you would like to purchase and remove the others.
    1. On October 11th, 2021 the system will only lookup and send notifies based on your two oldest entries.
    2. Going forward the queue system will only allow for two 30 series notifies on the current lineup.
    3. EVGA strongly suggests to keep the FTW3 ULTRA or XC3 ULTRA models due to consistent supply compared to limited supply on K|NGP|N, HYDRO COPPER and HYBRID due to supply constraints.
    4. EVGA is also going to be adding SMS verification to the checkout process for all notifications to catch bot orders.
  3. The queue system will not be turned back on until the current queues are fulfilled.
  4. The checkout window is 20 hours from the time of notification released.
EVGA appreciates your feedback to continue improving the queue system to deliver 30 Series cards into as many gamers hands as possible.
Thanks,
EVGA

If I understand it right they want me to remove all but 2 of my notifies...I did my best to whittle them down....but removing them was flaky the wouldn't show removed for some of them...I never wanted the 3090's and didn't care about the 3060 or 3060 TI's....Kept a 3080 Ti ($1499) and ended up leaving more than 2...Not sure what they will do. I think have gotten 3 thru the EVGA notify.

You should have been tops on the list if you have never even be notified about one. Are you sure you didn't miss any?

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Darn, I missed that one today. I would have put in for it. One can never have enough 3080Ti's,right?

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Me: You guys know Don?

Group of cool people: No.

Me: Why not? He's a really cool dude... he has a 3080 TI and everything. :D

Congrats Don!!! Can't wait to see it in action!!! :beer:

torin3

I was referring to the Newegg Shuffle....

Did you just get the email from EVGA?

Yeah, I got that email.
If I understand it right they want me to remove all but 2 of my notifies...I did my best to whittle them down....but removing them was flaky the wouldn't show removed for some of them...I never wanted the 3090's and didn't care about the 3060 or 3060 TI's....Kept a 3080 Ti ($1499) and ended up leaving more than 2...Not sure what they will do. I think have gotten 3 thru the EVGA notify.

You should have been tops on the list if you have never even be notified about one. Are you sure you didn't miss any?

According to the notify page, it says no in the column labeled "Notify Sent" for all 4 cards.

I have 2 KR models and 2 KL models. I take it I should remove the KR's since they are the full crypto versions, and in higher demand?

Also, I'm going for 3080 plain, not Ti models. I can probably swing about $900 a card, and I figure 2 of them will still get me more PPD than 1 TI at about $1500.

Edit: Yes, I'm sure I never got a notify. I check my email several times a day and I get regular EVGA emails, but none of them have been notifies.

OP
don256us

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Yeah. I'm excited all right. Unfortunately, it won't arrive until Monday at the earliest. If I were a younger man, I'd stay up all night to install it and maybe call in sick on Tuesday. I mean, I have over 4 months of sick time saved up. But.... I'm a responsable employee with other outside obligations plus... let's not forget that I'm old AND fat. Can't forget fat. Plus my outside obligations are at a temporary high importance so.... I'll get it installed when I can.

Those who have been mocking me in the stats (by out producing me).... Look out! I'm gunning for a top spot. "A" not "The" top spot.

Other low priority projects include upgrading my Unraid server to eventually house multiple 3060's or whatever is equivalent when that time comes. My board will support multiple 16x PCIe and I intend to utilize them. But, low priority and longer range. As money and supply allows.

Finally, let's not forget that my Mom says I'm cool and my Grandma says I'm handsome. What more do we need in life? No really. I don't know what more I should need.

Oh. I've not recieved anything from EVGA directly other than a notice that I was being moved over to non-mining cards for a better chance. EVGA has been selling on the Newegg Shuffle and that's where I got my card. The card has a $150 markup on an already inflated retail price. I'm not happy about that but it is within my tolerance.

Edit: Looking at the card I "won", it's the FTW3 Ultra. Looking at this site: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/evga-rtx-3080-ti-ftw3-ultra-launch-edition.b8958
The specs for this version warrent a higher cost. Looking at the cost more closely, I think it's $250 above retail not $150. The site I listed shows the stock specs crossed out and the actual specs for this card below. While I think that the higher specs are for bragging rights only, as in I don't think that I'll see better gaming, I do think that they will produce more points for TEAM 32. So again I remind you that my Mom thinks I'm cool. :cool: < emoji to prove it. Case closed. :escape:

superducky

Team 32 Folding Member
Glad to hear, Don, but FYI, you should be good on x4 Gen3 throughput for a folding card, the payloads and bandwidth requirements aren't that high; once the core is loaded into memory it pretty much just runs.

I know that unraid is better about passthrough than freeNAS, etc., but I'm curious what numbers you can put up and how they compare with Ubuntu folding, for example. Especially curious how the Suse/slackware driver support holds up, or are you just going to pass it through completely to a VM and let ubuntu handle it? My knowledge ends at QEMU/VirtIO on RedHat so :screwy:

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Yeah. I'm excited all right. Unfortunately, it won't arrive until Monday at the earliest. If I were a younger man, I'd stay up all night to install it and maybe call in sick on Tuesday. I mean, I have over 4 months of sick time saved up. But.... I'm a responsable employee with other outside obligations plus... let's not forget that I'm old AND fat. Can't forget fat. Plus my outside obligations are at a temporary high importance so.... I'll get it installed when I can.

Those who have been mocking me in the stats (by out producing me).... Look out! I'm gunning for a top spot. "A" not "The" top spot.

Case closed. :escape:
Good news Don, we haven't been mocking you because of your stats....:thup::p

OP
don256us

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I may have been unclear. This card will go into my 1st gen Threadripper at PCIe x3.0. This is my main/gaming rig. My current 980Ti will cohabitate in this same rig until I get passthrough working in my VM.
The VM will be inside Unraid which is an x58 chipset. I just bought an upgraded Xeon x5690 chip from Chinar which could be here in a year or two maybe less. It is on this machine that I plan to rebuild my farm. Time will tell.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
No, they have closed it to new additions to the queue. If you already have cards in the queue, you need to shorten the list to two cards. I cleared four 3080s off my list & currently have two left. The two have been in queue since 10/14/20! Maybe I'll get one after a year of waiting. :rolleyes:

torin3

I checked in and they have another alert saying they'll only go for the 2 oldest notifications. I guess I didn't have to cancel 2 after all.

3 of mine were dated 11/9/20, the other was 12/9/20.

OP
don256us

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
3080 Ti installed and folding along with my 1080. I pulled my 980Ti and will probably install it into my UnRAID server and see if I can get a passthrough working. That's for another day.

Edit: After I installed the card, the power went out for a full second. Got it back up and running and an hour later the power went out for another full second. I got it running again and is still running now.