• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just won a bid for x5670!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Dear OCFmen™,
I just won a bid for x5670 on eBay! I set $17 and seller agreed!
Don't really need a faster CPU, but decided to set $17 and if it goes through, I'm buying because always kinda wanted to go 5core Xeon route to swap out my quad 920.

In the morning, checked email and offer was accepted! So excited I even got bowel movement and ran to the toilet, then back and sent the payment to the seller! I also picked up a tube of MX-4 arctic. Is it good btw? Never swapped out CPU before, so this is exciting!:clap:

View attachment 202676

View attachment 202677

Do you have a motherboard that will run on? I'm not sure it will work on your current motherboard. Server class chips generally require server class motherboards.

Taco, where did your Sig system info go?

Last edited:
MX-4 is a decent TIM. You'll be fine with it. It's what I use in bulk as well.

That's a Westmere-EP CPU, the i7-980 is also Westmere, so it should work for you even though it isn't on your CPU support list.

I hope you have a High end cooler for this CPU. Those volts are on the edge of the danger zone.

Just FYI, that's not my overclock. I don't have the CPU yet(to avoid confusion)
I'll probably stick to 1.35 max.:chair: except maybe once..a little higher.

I hope it doesn't come in as some end of life dying hardware. Yknow, this is the first time I bought a used? I just realized that. The rush of excitement and worry is all mixed up inside me!

For $17 I wouldn't worry too much. These CPU's are good into the upper 1.45v's so as long as the previous owner kept the temps in check it should be good to go.

Thank you!
Description mentioned "tested and excellent condition". Hopefully it sat in some server and not someone's overclocking rig setting records:D
I plan to install and check stock stability before doing any overclock.

The price on these old server chips has really come down. :)

What kind of cooler are you running Taco?

I wouldn't be expecting 5.0... Most likely in the 4.0 to 4.4Ghz range. With some limited benching maybe a little higher? The 45mm 4-core Bloomfield and 32mm 6-core Westmere still run @healthy tdp (heat) levels when overclocked beyond ~4.0/4.2.

X58 setups do benefit from running under custom water.

EMERGENCY EMERGENCY!!

Dear OCFmen, my CPU is cming today:clap: ......:eh?:but my paste is cming Tuesday. And meanwhile I'd like to run tests on her to see if she's stable over weeknd. Will toothpaste work or....I dunno, something else on stock clocks running prime or realbech or aida?

View attachment 202729

edit: saw this, I might be okay?

View attachment 202731

Last edited:
Back