• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I killed my PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slaught

OK, so just got my new case sorted, its a full tower that came with a 300w PSU and is watercooled. So i had my system running, and as I had a new rad wanted to see how far I could push it. I got to my limit at 2v fine, so I decided to up the CPU v to 2.1 to see if I could get anymore out of it. Ran 3mark, then suddenly halfway through - crash to desktop. No biggie I thought ill just back it off some. Then 2 secs later the system shut itself off. crapcrapcrapcrap. wouldnt restart at all. Tried EVERYTHIN aside from changing CPU. great, I thought I fried my cpu/mobo. Then I realised nothing was powering up at all, so maybe it was the PSU. Which it was. My system is now running fine and I have a fried PSU paperweight.

Could the PSU really have been that cheap and crap that it would fry just because of a .1v increase? Its not like I had much else running on it as it only had 3 molex connectors?

Crazy Jayhawk

You might have exceeded the wattage of your power supply and blown a fuse. You have to open the cover (and void your warranty) to check whether this has happened. The fuse is usually located near the AC plug.

y0ungsta

Registered
I think a 300w power supply isn't enough for overclocking because the cpu takes a lot of power when overclocked. Also when you open up the power supply see if there are any leaky capacitors. It might be that they blew up (capacitor problem).