• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I (kind of) just killed my girlfriend's PC...what should i do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich'[ard]

i dunno if she'll still be my girlfriend after this incident...but this is how the story goes.

one day we were talking on the phone, and she was telling me how her computer is really really loud...and that she just smashed the case to make it quiet again. i didn't take it seriously, and just told her it might her fans having heaps of dust on it or something. THEN i said i just get the vacuum cleaner and vacuum the case now and then to get rid of all the dust.

then today she goes and vacuums her pc and her PC won't turn on now.
i knew i never should've told her...and that i shouldnt've told her to open the computer up.

she doesn't even want to talk to me now.
i'm going to her formal on thursday and i'll see her...but i don't even know what's going to happen on thursday anymore.

i'm positive it's just a loose wire somewhere and that her harddrive is fine (what she's worried about) and that i can fix it.
but should i help her?
or should i just leave it and let her parents get someone to fix it.

sigh...
i hate this.
she's actually like ignoring me now...
next time i'm just not going to say anything i think.

Vipersfate

That sucks! Vacuume = plastic with moving air = static electricity.

I learned my lesson with the GF and the Computer.

Flurp

yea ****ty situation... i'd say try to help her but i wouldn't buy anything for it... i mean you fix it you - kudos for you, if you don't fix it - your in the same boat but slightly higher cause you tried...

OP
Rich'[ard]

Rich'[ard]

That sucks! Vacuume = plastic with moving air = static electricity.

I learned my lesson with the GF and the Computer.
lol i vacuum my computer to clean it out. just fans and stuff though...i dunno where she put it.
but just a point to anybody reading this, i made a big mistake.
never telling her to do something like this again...or even implying it.
come to think about it, i don't even remember if i actually told her to vacuum it, or just imply that i did it to clean it.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Well, she probably went and vacumed it, but most likely she inserted the nozzle somewhere inside the case and hit something by mistake.

Your best defense is to get the pc, and calmly ask her if she can remember how and where did she put the nozzle when she was vacuming it out.

Chances are the static charge may indeed shorted the board out. Maybe by removing everything out of the case and rechecking the parts, it might come back to life. Don't hold your breath tho.

Good luck.

Neural Net

If you suggested that she do something she wouldn't ordinarily have done, you should fix it. If she smashes the side of the case to make it quiet it should have sent alarm bells ringing that (a) she doesn't understand about computer hardware and (b) isn't going to be gentle with a vacuum cleaner.

If she's worth it, then fix it.

OP
Rich'[ard]

Rich'[ard]

If you suggested that she do something she wouldn't ordinarily have done, you should fix it. If she smashes the side of the case to make it quiet it should have sent alarm bells ringing that (a) she doesn't understand about computer hardware and (b) isn't going to be gentle with a vacuum cleaner.

If she's worth it, then fix it.
yeah yeah of course she's worth it.
i woudln't have cared less if she wasn't so close.
she just told me a few times she'd hit the top of the case to make it quieter...i can't even understand how that works lol.
but yeah, i'm going to her house on thursday. i'll take a look at it for sure.
she's getting a new one soon anyway, so there's no hurt in doing so.

i just should've been smarter and not bring it up next time.
well at least i learnt something ey.
and thanks for all the replies guys :thup:

Vipersfate

I've been in an arguement about where the Control Panel was with my GF. Took 2 days to fix...the relationship, not the computer lol.

jediman

hey now. the location of the control panel is a very personal matter. anytime its in exactly the same place as it has always been is the same as telling her you cheated on her. It also means you don't respect her.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
Congratulations, you might be building her a new computer. :D

Most likely she vacuumed up a jumper or something like that, maybe bumped something loose, check it over well, I have a feeling it will end up okay. :thup:

DBZ

Hitting the top of computer to make fan quieter is a perfectly fine solution. The top fan on my Antec 180 case make weird noise sometime and a few good smack quiet it down.

Worst come to worst you probably would just need to replace one part on the comp itself.

Old Thrashbarg

Thinking about it logically, if smacking the case quieted it down temporarily, I'd be inclined to say something was a bit loose. Maybe she bumped something out of place when she opened it up and vacuumed it? It's not necessarily a static problem here... I vacuum dust out of computer cases all the time, and as long as you're not actually jamming the nozzle up against the motherboard and such, you're probably not going to damage anything with it.

Bobnova

My bet is that she knocked the power switch wires off the mobo, or something like that.
I don't see static doing it, personally.
The rate with which static builds up is slow, it should be able to ground itself faster then it builds up.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Fan's bearing probably was starting to go.

Though vaccum depending on your climent currently if dry = bad. High chance of static electricity and if it accidently touched anything it could of fried. If the PC was on it could be worse.

Vaccum and PC = Bad. Compressed air can be bad as well but its a better solution unless you want to pick up the CO2 can's all the time.

Hopefully its not as bad as we think it is and its simple.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Wow... I must be a VERY lucky person as that is all I clean PC's with are Vacuum cleaner attachemts. With all the builds, repairs etc that I do, I havent killed a PC b/c of it. Is it that dangerous really?

threeme2189

Drowning my sorrow and misery in apple juice
Hitting the top of computer to make fan quieter is a perfectly fine solution. The top fan on my Antec 180 case make weird noise sometime and a few good smack quiet it down.

Worst come to worst you probably would just need to replace one part on the comp itself.

It used to happen to me too, I had a fan that would start to whine and grind and a few good wallops on the case would quiet it down.
It died after a while and I just replaced it.

HDCHOPPER

Wow she is thin skined , find anything but computers to talk to her about to clear that hurdle;) but you gotta get that comp in your hands to clear your self even if it cost you!
(because it is your fault for helping lol ,no good deed go's unpunished)

then fix it :)....I tell ppl to goto the gas station and shoot some air in the holes after the first dust cloud shoots out thay back off and take it eazy on the air then lol .....

OP
Rich'[ard]

Rich'[ard]

haha, where did this thread get moved to :shrug:

yeah i vacuum my pc out all the time with the nozzle. i make sure the computer's drained of power though..and usually i yank the whole box out and do it on the floor or something.

yeap, i'm gonna go help her.
and if it was a loud fan, i'll bring one of my spare ones and just chuck it in her computer.
i'll chuck in a nice quiet 800rpm Scythe...even if airflow is compromised...but ey, all she wanted was a quieter computer lol.

thanks for all the heads up guys! :thup:
i love this place lol