• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I (kind of) just killed my girlfriend's PC...what should i do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, i meant if she's still mad at you, revenge...you can say "i put this super quiet fan in..." and BOOM, NOT!
whoa...that's tight LOL.
i dunno what i'd do if she dumped me, becuase we've been best friends for ages.
maybe i shoudln't get so attached so someone.

i went over to her house for her end-of-year formal last night. was very fun :)
but my GAWD. her computer is so loud. it wasn't a power supply sound...and i'm sure a generic fan wouldn't make so much vibration...it sounded like the dvd burner was burning a disc 24/7.
almost as loud as a vacuum cleaner.
i'll inspect if after she gets a new comp (she said these Christmas hols) incase she doesn't want me to mess with her comp again.

It's highly unlikely the vacuum did anything at all. Static on the outside is pretty much a non-issue. I've actually zapped a computer keyboard and case with a tesla coil and nothing happened at all, even after repeated zaps (5000 volts). The computer just kept on working as if nothing happened.

If the fan wasn't working properly, its quite possible on a laptop that the power supply over heated and needs to be replaced. Just because a fan goes quiet after hitting, doesn't meant its actually still running. Sometimes those fans stop and things get worse. It's never a good idea to ignore fan noise; the results will always be worse than you hope.

As far as the girl goes - well if she stops talking over some innocent advice, then I'm thinking she's just looking for an excuse. Give it some time, if she still doesn't come around, then you have your answer. Sometimes there is just no accounting for the illogical sex.

Last edited:
It's highly unlikely the vacuum did anything at all. Static on the outside is pretty much a non-issue. I've actually zapped a computer keyboard and case with a tesla coil and nothing happened at all, even after repeated zaps (5000 volts). The computer just kept on working as if nothing happened.

If the fan wasn't working properly, its quite possible on a laptop that the power supply over heated and needs to be replaced. Just because a fan goes quiet after hitting, doesn't meant its actually still running. Sometimes those fans stop and things get worse. It's never a good idea to ignore fan noise; the results will always be worse than you hope.

As far as the girl goes - well if she stops talking over some innocent advice, then I'm thinking she's just looking for an excuse. Give it some time, if she still doesn't come around, then you have your answer. Sometimes there is just no accounting for the illogical sex.
lol yeh she won't touch her computer again...and i don't think she wants me to either. she's worried it's going to break again. im not going to break it if i touch it, but hey, maybe i'll just leave it and not get myself into any trouble.

yeah orion, last time i went over, i tried to listen to the computer to see waht it was (because she left her room for a minute or two) and it didn't sound much like a fan anymore. the vibration the fan caused was CRAZY. no 2000rpm could make such much case vibration.
i simply put my hand on the top of the case, and i could feel something moving.

the best i can describe it is: it sounded like (and felt like) her PC was burning a dvd 24/7.
it makes a similar type a noise as well. heck, i can even hear her computer on the phone lol.

btw, dillinja666, you wish :santa:

That sucks! I remember on a job that I had, I opened up the case and there was LITERALLY, a inch of dust. It was EVERYWHERE in the computer. I can't remember the reason I had to open it in the first place but it was working at the time. Well, I thought I would be a nice guy and clean the dust out.....wrong! Damn thing refused to work after that. Thank god I had the ability to order boards (this was a Compaq system) and was able to fix it. I wouldn't doubt if the dust made the system faster by creating "shortcuts" between the components :s

Just buy her a new pair of shoes or a purse. I guarantee that all will be forgiven.

Back