• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I know I'll get ridiculed but whats the front of a fan & the back.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

Im feeling stupid. When I built two computers a Phenom 2 920 and a core i7 920, my assumptions were basically the label is the front so it must push air from that side. The power wire my guess would run down the back, so that side would pull air. I'm thinking I did it wrong and is the cause for my high temps.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
The open side (the one that has no motor supports) is where it pulls in air. If you hold the fan in your hand and the label is facing you, it will blow air towards you.

OP
M

mas5acre

So I was right, was kinda worried. So looking from the back of the case at the exhaust fan I should see a label thru the grill. Right?

darkpyro1

Dude, its totally cool. Earlier this year when I was putting my PC together after painting it I was having some fan trouble myself. I took the fans off my radiator and wasn't sure which way to put it back on.

Omsion

Yep. This is always something I have to do a double-take over.

"Wait...does it really go in that way? Oh wait, nvm, it does, I'm a idiot. Why do I keep asking myself this?"

Fx-53

Been building systems for 6 or 7 years now, I still have to look at the arrow occasionally............

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I viewed this thread to make sure everyone behaved - its no surprise because we have the best membership you'll find anywhere. :grouphug:

Conumdrum

Awww, what an awesome hug! Man, when did we add that one? IMOG, your just a lovin guy. I bet after 4 beers your one to say, "I love you guys"!

hehe, I like it. Better to see IMOG like this than.... I have seen him on the other end. Smart, proper, but not happy...

xtreeme

Disabled
Dude, its totally cool. Earlier this year when I was putting my PC together after painting it I was having some fan trouble myself. I took the fans off my radiator and wasn't sure which way to put it back on.

2sabl10.jpg

thats always the intake side... a airfan works just the same way as a propeller on a boat - it's the same principle. They both "eat" the medium (or screw :bday: their way through the medium so to say)

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Yep. This is always something I have to do a double-take over.

"Wait...does it really go in that way? Oh wait, nvm, it does, I'm a idiot. Why do I keep asking myself this?"

heh, welcome to my brain... probably pretty cluttered in there, so good luck finding a spot :p

OverClockedNub

Have to second what IMOG said. I am really impressed the OP was not flamed. On some 'other forums' that I frequent he would have been crucified and set on fire. The fact that people here were very cool to him and helped him out without even a hint of snarkiness just makes me even more happy to have found this place on the web :D

OP
M

mas5acre

Have to second what IMOG said. I am really impressed the OP was not flamed. On some 'other forums' that I frequent he would have been crucified and set on fire. The fact that people here were very cool to him and helped him out without even a hint of snarkiness just makes me even more happy to have found this place on the web :D

Ya thx guys....

jivetrky

I viewed this thread to make sure everyone behaved - its no surprise because we have the best membership you'll find anywhere. :grouphug:

I was going to come into this thread, knowing that the question had likely been answered, just to say that you almost never have to worry about being ridiculed on this site. Only time you see it is friendly, brotherly typed ridiculing, nothing purposefully hurtful.
Best online community on the net, IMO!:thup:

As someone else said, there's never a stupid question if it's one to which you don't know the answer!

And no one has said this yet [EDIT: whoops, I see that chevro1et did say this already, well I have a pic! :p], but many/most fans will have little arrows molded into the side of them, showing the rotation and airflow directions (or at least the airflow direction). I've only ever had one fan that wasn't marked as such.

IMG_0345.JPG

And as Omison said, I KNOW which way they blow and I still always ask and second guess myself. Better to know for sure than to have to take it off after you power up your system. :)

tom_ozahoski

And no one has said this yet [EDIT: whoops, I see that chevro1et did say this already, well I have a pic! :p], but many/most fans will have little arrows molded into the side of them, showing the rotation and airflow directions (or at least the airflow direction).

I was going to come in here and say look at post #7 and #8 cause we had the lil arrows covered but you found it! :rock: