• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I KNOW it's going to bottle neck... just how bad though...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1.21_gigawatts

Registered
I'm currently running an RX480 8gb with my FX8350. Well, I have the opportunity to get an EVGA 1080 Superclocked REALLY cheap (friend of a friend has two and he's planning on jumping on two 1080ti's... I though MY venture into this hobby was expensive...). My RX480 is doing great IMO, but I know the 1080 would blow it away, but I also know my 8350 is aged and will bottle neck the 1080... The only games I really play are Elite Dangerous, GTAV, and some other far less demanding games that I know shouldn't be a problem, and as my display is only 1080p so that's all I stick do, I'm not running anything at 4k. Although the RX480 lets me crank the settings up on these games, the FPS average 30-35 on GTA and Elite, but like to drop pretty bad when a lot is going on (not sure if that's the 8350 or the 480 to blame), and a little smoother gameplay would always be welcome :rolleyes:

Unless it's some amazing deal I would say don't bother. You say the 480 is running everything fine so it seems to be a waste of money to change Imo. I'd rather spend the cash on th cpu upgrade and that probably won't even be necessary.

I agree, unless its an amazing deal (350-400 euros ) I would not bother. I don't know much about AMD cards, but from what I understand the 480 is comparable to the 1060 not? a 1080 will future proof your system quite a bit.

but I also want to say, and I've said it plenty of times already these last weeks. This it is not a good time to buy a GPU, this period before the next generation is announced, and before AMD has shown their cards. Prices will drop a close to the summer. IMHO ;)

if the cards a deal, go ahead and jump on it, down the road you can upgrade the rest of the system.

I'm currently running an RX480 8gb with my FX8350. Well, I have the opportunity to get an EVGA 1080 Superclocked REALLY cheap (friend of a friend has two and he's planning on jumping on two 1080ti's... I though MY venture into this hobby was expensive...). My RX480 is doing great IMO, but I know the 1080 would blow it away, but I also know my 8350 is aged and will bottle neck the 1080... The only games I really play are Elite Dangerous, GTAV, and some other far less demanding games that I know shouldn't be a problem, and as my display is only 1080p so that's all I stick do, I'm not running anything at 4k. Although the RX480 lets me crank the settings up on these games, the FPS average 30-35 on GTA and Elite, but like to drop pretty bad when a lot is going on (not sure if that's the 8350 or the 480 to blame), and a little smoother gameplay would always be welcome :rolleyes:

I haven't looked into the 1080 specs however I can tell you that on my G1 970 SLI system GTAV runs@ 2k resolution at 110fps or so and 4k hovering at or near 60 .

I wouldn't stress about the bottleneck I doubt it's gonna be that bad at all to not warrant a purchase.

I think you'll be happy with the purchase regardless.

with Ryzen and the 1080ti out there are MANY many youtubers and sites that have done reviews that will let you know exactly what to expect because every one was benching the old amd stuff as well so people could see the difference.

man, a 1080 for $300 US, I'd surly bite on that, whats a 1070, in the $400 US? pull the trigger.

It'll really depend on the game. If it's something that single threaded and hungry.....of course your frame rates are going to suffer, as they would with just about any of the new GPUs out there.

If you don't get it for that price, pass it on to me as I'd love to. Originally I was going to say before the price was revealed, if you can get it for the price of a new GTX 1070, I'd be all over it. That answers that and hope you grabbed it.

You might see some bottlenecking but you should be alright. I would start selling that RX 480 and start looking on saving up for a nice Ryzen setup.

If you don't get it for that price, pass it on to me as I'd love to. Originally I was going to say before the price was revealed, if you can get it for the price of a new GTX 1070, I'd be all over it. That answers that and hope you grabbed it.

You might see some bottlenecking but you should be alright. I would start selling that RX 480 and start looking on saving up for a nice Ryzen setup.

For real.

That is literally your best option if you have the budget to upgrade, and can sell your rx480(Should be significantly easier than selling a GTX 770 2gb)

My guess is around $180 for the rx480, but could be more depending on your area/country. :)

Back