• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I know this is not a good mobo for overclocking...please answer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chum

Tyan Trinity S1854
Socket 370 P3 1Gig

The default FSB is 133. A few questions ...

1. If I increase the FSB does it in any way affect the AGP/PCI?
2. All of the FSB settings in BIOS are with or wihout 'spread spectrum'- "what the heck does this mean"?
3.Is the coppermine CPU a good chip to oc' ?
4. And...what do the names like Coppermine, Deschutes, Katami etc. mean...are these the manufacturers or what?

I tried to increase the FSB in BIOS to just 140 (with spread spectrum on) and it would not post...I had to clear the CMOS to get system back...what am I doing wrong.

funnyperson1

1. When you oc the AGP/PCI goes up
2.no clue
3. coppermines are normally good but depending on what stepping of 1GHZ you have you could be in for hard times
4. those names are different cores, coppermines and katmais are both PIII cores katmai went from 450-600 and coppermine went from 550-1.1GHZ, Deschutes is Pentium II core from 300-450 i think....

and welcome to thr forums....about the oc, first you need good cooling, and the chip needs to be able to take it....check your temps....also try a lower step than 140

BaldHeadedDork

Hey Chum, welcome to the forums.

1) Unless there is an option in the BIOS to lock the PCI/AGP at 33/66 (and I don't think there is on any S370 board) increasing the FSB will increase the speed on the whole board. That can be one of the major limits on overclocking.

2) Beats me. Sorry.

3) The big problem isn't the Coppermine, its the board the chip plugs into. But that said, the Coppermine P3 isn't on anyone's list of great overclocking cpu's.

4) They are all the internal names for Intel product families. Intel used to name all of their chip families after rivers in the pacific northwest. (Deschutes is a river in Oregon.) That changed with the Coppermine and everything has gone to hell since.

Okay, maybe not. But the river names were cooler than what they come up with now.

5) Could be a lot of things. Overclocking back in the day was a lot more difficult and uncertain than it is today. On a S370 board, I would start by making sure there are no jumpers you have to set to allow increasing the FSB in BIOS. But it could be anything from northbridge cooling to memory to a PCI card not liking the higher speeds.

Good luck-

BHD

Last edited:

funnyperson1

BaldHeadedDork said:
Hey Chum, welcome to the forums.

3) The big problem isn't the Coppermine, its the board the chip plugs into. But that said, the Coppermine P3 isn't on anyone's list of great overclocking cpu's.

Good luck-

BHD

i beg to differ lol....

PIII600E and 700E were pretty much guaranteed 133fsb with the right stepping...i had the worst steppind PIII600E (cA2) and was able to get 876mhz out of it, most people with 700s got 933 and above easily.....and the cDo PIIIs were beautiful chips, 1GHZ chips of these sometimes reached 1.3-1.4GHZ...all of this could be achieved with nice quiet heatsinks.....the coppermine PIIIs when paired with BX were legendary indeed :)

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
I have to disagree with him as well. Technically the celerons with the 100Mhz bus are coppermines and they are incredible overclockers. The norm is a 24% - 33% overclock with just air cooling.

6502kid

Turn the spread spectrum off.

I believe this is used to increase stability if you are operating
in an environment with lots of EMI interference.

Turning it off will allow you to overclock higher.

Civic_Addict

6502kid said:
Turn the spread spectrum off.

I believe this is used to increase stability if you are operating
in an environment with lots of EMI interference.

Turning it off will allow you to overclock higher.
Close.

Spread spectrum helps to level out the EMI peaks when the system is in operation. The EMI is caused by the processor itself for each clock tick.

And yes you're right, turning it off will allow more successful overclocking.

OP
Chum

Chum

Many thanks!

Everyone on this forum is so nice to noobs...I'll try increasing FSB again, with spread spectrum off...next weekend, when I have time to mess with it.

OP
Chum

Chum

Finally got it to OC!

I used "CPU-Cool" and increased FSB to 150 and acheived 1.126Gig. In BIOS I changed my memory clock to -33 of host, so the memory is now running at 117 MHz. The AGP bus is running at 76MHz(4X=304MHz). PCI bus at 38MHz.

New questions...

If I now OC the vid card(Leadtek GfForce 4 128 8x compatible)
will there be complications since the AGP bus is higher? I think not since the card can supposedly handle 8X speeds.

It looks like, with "CPU-Cool", I can go higher than 150 FSB and system BIOS only goes to 150...maybe I can push this CPU up to 1.2gig or more?!
:)