• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I like Pi. Raspberry Pi, that is.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zizux

I modded my lego case so that it now holds a powered 4 port USB Hub. It sits on top of the Pi.

The case doesn't look as clean now, but when my legos arrive, I'll rebuild it to be more aesthetically pleasing

I had the same remote and IR Receiver, but I ditched them before I even built the Pi.

I had the Asus mini remote keyboard/MC remote leftover from my previous HTPC build so I tried them on the Pi. Turns out they work great.
The remote is the backside of the keyboard...you just flip it over.

ASUS_Keyboard_Remote_689.jpg

It's only 1" longer than the Pi (.5" longer than my lego case) so I can take the whole system with me.

Where can I find that remote?

OP
notarat

notarat

Awwww... low blow... :p

Still - can't wait to see the new and improved LegoBox (r2) :)

I made one last night to see if I could integrate a SSD Docking Station into it and it worked, though it is not as pretty as I'd hoped. I did not use all the lego kits I have on hand to make it, I just dumped the two 705 piece kits on the floor and went to work...

I'll snap some pics of it tonight and then open the mobile command center and one of the two police sation kits I got.

They're mainly black & white blocks so I may go with some sort of Art Deco type motiff.

Then again I lived much of my life in West Virginia so I consider myself lucky I can even make the bricks stick together in the first place...regardless of whatever "motiff" I go for...

txus.palacios

I made one last night to see if I could integrate a SSD Docking Station into it and it worked, though it is not as pretty as I'd hoped. I did not use all the lego kits I have on hand to make it, I just dumped the two 705 piece kits on the floor and went to work...

I'll snap some pics of it tonight and then open the mobile command center and one of the two police sation kits I got.

They're mainly black & white blocks so I may go with some sort of Art Deco type motiff.

Then again I lived much of my life in West Virginia so I consider myself lucky I can even make the bricks stick together in the first place...regardless of whatever "motiff" I go for...

:pics:

OP
notarat

notarat

Here's a few pics I took today when I got home. The case is more a proof of concept for the SSD Holder and USB Hub Station.

I used some of the pieces out of the two 704 piece kits to make it. The pieces used to make the case are not among the pieces on the bed.

img0076fr.jpg

img0075rxv.jpg

img0074ul.jpg

img0073kg.jpg

img0071bhz.jpg

img0072wi.jpg

img0070vj.jpg

img0069cs.jpg

img0068to.jpg

img0067orp.jpg

img0066bci.jpg

img0065yd.jpg

img0064pv.jpg

img0063tre.jpg

NiTrOwow

I have to admit the PI is cool. But infact you can better go for a Android PC USB device, something like this,

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/androi...lwinner-a10-tf-hdmi-black-4-gb-145525?item=32

I'm going to buy this one soon. I was planning to but a PI. But The problem is I have no other parts so i can't do cool stuff with it eg modding.

The Android mini pc is instead ready to use. And you can install backtrack on it as well :)

Last edited:

benj1290

/derail Also from what im reading, is that the google mini pc only supports 720p and is limited on upgrades, locked to only Android etc.

Pi seems like a better chose sicne you can upgrade it (in a since of addon's) change OS's as you please (Linux distros , HTPC distros, maybe windows one day (One can dream! :p))

/end:derail

/On topic:

Overall i like the legos! looks funny/great lol.

I'm going to be ordering mine and my fathers next week sometime. Once i get it ill be making him a case to hook into his LED TV, so i'll need some ideas on what to do ;)

notarat: I know its going to take awhile for me to get my 2 Pi's, but if i have any questions can i pm you with my issues/ideas?

Thanks!

Bobnova

You OC this thing yet? :D

I'm really tempted to get one for myself, not sure what I'd actually use it for, but that's ok.
How does it do on flash stuff?

txus.palacios

I'm really tempted to get one for myself, not sure what I'd actually use it for, but that's ok.

You mean Adobe's Flash?

Well, it does not even work last time I checked. Why? Adobe thinks we Linux users do not need Flash, so they aren't the best at supporting Flash Player for Linux, x86 architecture. Let alone weird architectures like ARM.

I think I read somewhere that the inventor released an overclocking firmware, so you can overclock it.

OP
notarat

notarat

1 - Raspi Config enables overclocking by default up to 1GHz, depending on chip temps. And it doesn't void your warranty now.

2 - Adobe Flash? I have it disabled by default on all my PCs and my Pi is no different.

txus.palacios

Not really, look at what it includes, a case, the power adapters and an HDMI cable. I'm about that much into my Pi.

I have a bucket (literally) filled with USB / HDMI and such cables. I don't need any other cables.

For a case, you can stick it to your TV with double sided adhesive tapes. For power adapter, use USB and connect it to your TV's USB port (even if it's a "TECH SUPPORT ONLY" port, it is powered, and it's all you need).

That's what I would do, but my Pi would be reduced to an HTPC. I don't know if that stick would be more useful for you than the Pi.

EDIT: About overclocking, it would be fun if someone poured LN2 on that Broadcom PoP SoC, even if the memory chip is on top of the chip.

Cown

I've been concidering a raspberry as well, but am uncertain of its ability of 1080p hd playback through networking eg. NAS server etc. Do any of you have experience with this? Does it make the video choppy or does it run smoothe? My plan is to have the pi mounted on the back of the tv and stream hd movies from my NAS though cable network connection.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
i wonder could you install android or chrome on one of these or perhaps windows 8 with the arm support?
i know your thinking win 8 no touch screen? well hows about a bluetooth dongle and a wiimote for a mouse :thup:! :D