• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I like Pi. Raspberry Pi, that is.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
notarat

notarat

You OC this thing yet? :D

I'm really tempted to get one for myself, not sure what I'd actually use it for, but that's ok.
How does it do on flash stuff?

I run it at 840MHz right now at stock Volts with no heatsink on the chip, lol

I haven't tried higher because I do not need more than that for the stuff I do.

Cown

Do any of you guys know the difference between the model B rev. 1.0 and rev. 2.0 ?

I can't seem to find any info on this, and as far as I can tell, the only difference are the colors used on some of the connectors.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
I ordered one of these a couple days ago. Just something to mess around with.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
For my Raspberry Pi, I just used The Punnet, a printable case. I actually just took that design, printed it and then traced that onto thin cardboard. The resulting case is quite sturdy and cost me pretty much nothing.

I tried Raspmbc but my higher quality mkv files buffered frequently, making it not exactly the best media center pc for me. I'm currently using mine with the installable version of Raspbian as a ssh box and a simple web load balancer for now.

bmwbaxter

How well do these things play YouTube video's? I am sure they can handle the computing side of it, are any of these OS' suitable for web browsing?

OP
notarat

notarat

How well do these things play YouTube video's? I am sure they can handle the computing side of it, are any of these OS' suitable for web browsing?

If I find a youtube video I like, I download it. The RPi playback of the downloaded file is flawless.

I have not sat around and surfed the net with the RPi because I, personally, do not feel it is a generic "Desktop" replacement.

bmwbaxter

I don't intend to replace my desktop, I just want to browse YouTube and watch videos off of it and netflix. It would save having to setup the laptop everytime I want to watch on the living room HDTV.

OP
notarat

notarat

I don't intend to replace my desktop, I just want to browse YouTube and watch videos off of it and netflix. It would save having to setup the laptop everytime I want to watch on the living room HDTV.

For much the same reason you listed, I have Netflix on my Samsung Smart TV and my Sony BluRay Player so I never installed the App on either my HTPC or my Sandy Bridge.

That said, my understanding from reading the forums at raspberrypi.org is that Netflix works, though I have not tried it. Go there and read up on it.

There's a lot of useful information there that should be able to answer all your questions. I ordered my Pi as an impulse buy without doing much, if any, research just to play with since it's basically the same cost as a Pizza & Wings & a 2litre drink...

The more I use it, the more I like it.

Dozy Van

Registered
Mine arrived 2 day Ordered it last week. This is number one of at least 2.

It shall be overclocked and in the end will be used as a media center but will test out if it could work as a home server. I don't see why it could not ^.^ If it does I'll be getting at least 3 Pi's ;)

1 media center
1 server
1 for epic fun

Badbonji

Nice, this should make it pretty fast no?

I got the 32GB Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s card and it doesn't seem to make it fast. The main problem I think is the CPU, the GPU seems to handle HD videos fine for me but even sitting on the XBMC homescreen the CPU load is around 70%.