• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I like Pi. Raspberry Pi, that is.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if someone gets a Ras pi, try this out and report back, would ya?
http://www.geexbox.org/2012/09/18/geexbox-3-0/
as well as this one
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE5MDQ
that is when it gets released, wayland sounds like the way to go for the arm cpus concerning video. could be the video on the TI might be less power full then the one on the pi. that would be hard to say for sure with out direct benching. for some reason though i like the specs for the TI omap 5 at 2ghz and plan on waiting for one.

I have min but I don't have as much time as I need. I will test the 1st one for sure not sure on the 2nd one. Looks like a lot of learning and I don't think I'll have time fo it.

i noticed Notarat is using a SSD on his PI, how is the performance? i know you can boot from USB if you have a card insterted.

thats why i was curious, granted it would max out the bandwidth of the bus in a instant :rofl:

Does anyone know if it's possible to power up the pi through a usb plug in the tv? I know that a pc only delivers 500mA, but am uncertain of the tv. This would boost the "compact" advantages of the pi a lot since I wouldn't have to have another power source connected as well as make the pi turn on along with the tv.

I suppose that it would depend on the tv but the service port should provide power I would think. You might want to do a search to make sure about that on your specific model. Or does your tv have an actual USB port for like thumb drives and whatnot?

I know some can as people have mentioned doing it.
All? I don't know.

Its a Samsung LE40A866S1

When looking through the manual, there is no mention of the power provided by the USB port :-/

Oh well, I contacted Samsung here in Denmark, and they couldn't find any information in their specifications on the TV, so they sent my request to their production part of the company, so now I just have to wait for an answer I guess.

That should be plenty if you don't have high-draw USB devices, according to the Pi FAQ.

Well I gave it a shot and guess what, it works! Even better, the TV talks to the Pi through the USB, letting me control it with the TV remote or I actually think that the Pi takes control of the TV :eek: This is a brilliant piece of hardware! Now all I need, is to test the 1080p playback through cable network connection, wireless works, but the data is too immense to run smoothe.

i noticed Notarat is using a SSD on his PI, how is the performance? i know you can boot from USB if you have a card insterted.

thats why i was curious, granted it would max out the bandwidth of the bus in a instant :rofl:

It ran well when I was at stock clocks.

One can now install the /boot on an SD Card and the OS onto a USB Drive (SSD or Thumb Drive).

You're seeing pics from an old configuration. I used the 60GB SSD in those pics just to see if I could make a decent docking station for it in Lego. (yes)

I am now running in Turbo Mode at 1GHz/450MHz/400MHz using Xibian .8 on a San Disk Extreme 64GB SD Card with (2) 32GB MicroSD Cards.

My 5th configuration will be comprised of:

Pi @1GHz with (2) Copper Heatsinks cooling the core and the other chip(maybe add a USB-powered 55mm fan later?)
7 Port Powered Hub (5V 3A PSU)
64GB SDXC
(1) 480GB Corsair SSD via USB 2
Hauppauge HVR-950Q TV Tuner
Belkin Wi-Fi (b/g/n)
Blue Tooth Keyboard (Don't need a mouse anymore with the theme I have installed..."SLiK")

I run the Pi off the Powered USB Hub so, with the upgraded PSU I'll be .5 Amps under the PSU limit while simplifying my install...

I will need to re-do my lego case for that but, once complete, I'll be done with the system and will replace my HTPC in the living room with it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's possible to power up the pi through a usb plug in the tv? I know that a pc only delivers 500mA, but am uncertain of the tv. This would boost the "compact" advantages of the pi a lot since I wouldn't have to have another power source connected as well as make the pi turn on along with the tv.

You can power the Pi from the TV's USB Port, according to the posts on the Pi Forum. I power mine from the powered usb hub it connects to. Different Strokes...

I decided to order another RPi. This time I am waiting on the Rev 2 boards to become available so I'm not on an indefinite hold for several weeks, minimum.

Element14 is selling only Rev 1 boards until their stock is depleted....grrrr

Anyway, with the advent of overclocking & overvolting features now available, I decided that I'd add some heatsinks to the Rev 1 board and actively cool them with a 50mm fan.

I ordered a pack of BGA heat sinks and AS thermal paste/adhesive so I should be okay for the rev 1 board. I found a nice USB to 3-pin cable as part of a USB fan kit, located at FrozenCPU for $10 +s/h so I ordered 2 of them and they should be here Friday (sweet!)

That allows me to mate the cooling up with the 7 port hub I'm due to receive this Friday.

Okay.

I received my Hauppauge HVR-950Q USB-Based TV Tuner and installed it on OpenELEC yesterday and grabbed TVHeadEnd as well as Mythbox.

I had no clue what I was doin' since it was my first time setting up a TV Tuner in any Debian-based distro, but I had it streaming full screen over the air DTV to my Sandy-bridge based system in about 30 minutes.

Then I ripped my Prometheus DVD and watched it on the Pi. Though you can't really "Play a DVD", you can play the VOB files and they worked just fine.

I'm really more and more impressed with this little unit's capabilities.

I'm also really less and less impressed with the people writing the code for it, to be honest.

I'm seeing regression after regression in the code base of RaspBMC and Wheezy to the point that Dom is reverting firmware because it causes non-booting conditions, bad textures, SD Card corruption, etc As someone who used to write code 16hrs a day to migrate many of the Navy's old mainframe-based systems to PC-based installs, I know what is involved with coding. I also know you don't release code until it's been tested properly. I do not see that happening.

What I see happening is when people start having problems, they are blamed for buying crap hardware (A good Power Supply is important) when the hardware they bought comes from the "Known-Working" list at e-linux

Personally, I believe it's one of the reasons that I cannot run the latest RaspBMC on my unit, but I can run any other distro, using the same exact SD card that cannot load RaspBMC.

Oh...RaspBMC? It runs fine, IF I use an older version of it (I had a copy of the August release on my HTPC because that's the one I used to initially download the OS's)

Anything after August? Nada.

It's been chalked up to a difference between firmware and the installer which is causing a problem initializing the SD Card after installation completes.

OpenELEC works fine. Xbian Works Fine. Wheezy suddenly stopped running X after an rpi-update for some reason...

I stopped trying to get the latest versions of software. I think I'll grab an update every 90 days instead so that these bugs are discovered and resolved before I get them...

Element14 is selling only Rev 1 boards until their stock is depleted....grrrr

Might be a good thing but I ordered my Pi on 10/4 and they were back-ordered and not expected to ship until 11/01. Might be rev2? Either way I dont care I just want my Pi!:D

Back