• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I like Pi. Raspberry Pi, that is.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's my 256MB version in its case.

img0140ey.jpg

The compartment on the left of the "Pi" holds the Pi and the cooling fan while the compartment on the right of the "Pi" holds the wall wart and extra SD Cards and USB Sticks

Both sides have "lids" that you can raise

img0137mr.jpg

img0136kt.jpg

Once I received my (2) 512MB units I made a new case similar to the original red, white, and blue one, then I decided that I wanted to expand my connection options.

I ordered a Manhattan Mondo Hub and used a 32x32 Lego plate to begin the expanded system.

img0154l.jpg

The Hub has 28 USB Ports. 24 USB 2.0 + 4 USB 3.0

Each port has a power switch on it.

I am going to enclose one side of the USB Hub (blocking off 14 ports) to create a large storage compartment that encloses the Pi and Wall Wart and almost all of the wiring, similar to my White case.

I got mine today! It's a V1 thing so 256MB of ram, came with an 8GB SD card that has an OS preinstalled I think.
Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but that hasn't stopped me in the past.
Need to get my spare HDMI cable and see if DVI:HDMI adapters can work in the opposite direction from normal :D

EDIT:
I'm told they can. If this is true, I'll be happy.

I actually had one dvi-hdmi adapter that worked and one that did not. The pins were different.

We'll have to look for a linux benchmark that runs on one or more of the PI OS's. Then it's on! :D

That lego case is pretty cool.
What is a good, powerered usb hub to get?

The "Working Hubs" section at
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#Powered_USB_Hubs

Lists the known working hubs, and I have added my three hubs (Belkin F5U700, Macally 7 Port Powered Hub, and the Mondo Hub)

I prefer a 7 Port USB Hub because I can power the Pi and the cooling fan and I still have 5 ports for expansion...

The Mondo Hub though, that baby is da bomb!

I can power the Pi and the fan and TV Tuner, and a 3TB Seagate HDD and four 128GB SDXC Cards...AND two 32GB USB to MicroSD Adapters, lol

found this a bit ago, new os for pi's.
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Open-Recall-Snowlinux-3-KDE-4-9-3-RISC-OS-1746363.html

called risc os, it seems it was brought back to life.

I burned to to an SD Card and ran it last weekend...nice OS.

I wasn't able to view most of my SD Cards, but I think it's because it couldn't see their filesystem and I didn't feel like messing around with the CLI to set it up...I was in the middle of a 13 book marathon reading session, lol.

It has a nice interface and it is pretty snappy for the Pi...:attn:

I'd also like to know. I've had a bunch of USB hubs recently and they've all failed. Sooner or later, they've failed. What's a strong, reliable hub?

The main thing to watch for is input rating of the hub. Some come with a 5V 2A wall wart but cannot take any accept over 2A or they burn out.

That was the main selling point for me for the Mondo Hub. It can accept up to 4A input so it won't burn out if I connect a heavy load.

notarat,
in case your not aware there is a multi-quote feature, so you can just post once. it also helps to keep the thread(s) cleaner.

notarat,
in case your not aware there is a multi-quote feature, so you can just post once. it also helps to keep the thread(s) cleaner.

Yeah I know about the multiquote feature but since I had 2 different people asking questions I thought if I multiquoted both of them, only 1 person would receive notification that there was a reply posted...

does it notify each quoted person? If so I'll use that in the future.

Here's my mostly-completed Mondo Case
img0168ck.jpg

img0167zp.jpg

img0165kn.jpg

img0164zk.jpg

img0163dal.jpg

img0162ox.jpg

img0161vm.jpg

img0160vf.jpg

img0159mq.jpg

img0158la.jpg

Ignore the leftovers on the plate in the background. I was eating as I was building...damn if those legos don't get slippery when greasy, lol

Additionally, the second Pi is shown to illustrate the relative size of the case. It's a 256MB version. The installed one is a 512MB

I still need to unclutter the interior a bit and add my "512 Pi" logo to the lid

It doesn't just notify the quoted people, it notifies anyone who is subscribed to the thread. So just use the multi quote to help keep threads cleaner :thup:

i just hope that in about 6months give or take. that they might be able to offer one with 1-2gb ram and dual core with a faster clock. i have considered getting the board with the new samsung arm cpu running at 1.4ghz. though i hope that the clock speed could be increased as the same cpu in the chromebook from sammy is clocked at 1.7ghz.

Back