• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I lost my paypal dispute today as a seller for an 4870 1GB I shipped : (

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Uh... Your customs # on the receit is your tracking number. I have used this before when shipping to Canada. Put the customs number in the tracking information on USPS.com, I bet you it works.

Things get held at customs for over a week at times. It's entirely possible it's just sitting there and the buyer is just impatient. Everytime I ship to Canada I warn the buyer that customs can tie things up for weeks, and they always say sure no problem, then start whining after just a few days. Even WITH a proper USPS tracking number confirming shipment I've gotten neutral feedback from Canadian buyers with items tied up at customs. Like it's my fault there's security at the border. Suxxors to just say no shipments to Canada, but this stuff is unfortunately all too common. Sorry about the lost $$$.

Your lesson learned is to look at your receipt when you ask for tracking/confirmation. Sorry it happened. Live and learn!

What about the customs #?

EDIT: Looks like I was beat to the punch on that one!

I would only go with ebay if I was selling the Loch Ness monster for a million dollars...

Two things to hope for:

A: The package will turn up and arrive at the buyer's location later. The buyer will be nice and contact PayPal to return your money. (I purchased something on ebay from a guy in Canada once and the item arrived one month later).

B: The package will turn up and be returned to you. :)

Two things to hope for:

A: The package will turn up and arrive at the buyer's location later. The buyer will be nice and contact PayPal to return your money. (I purchased something on ebay from a guy in Canada once and the item arrived one month later).

B: The package will turn up and be returned to you. :)

Hopefully. With the lost dispute though I think it's best to write it off and not dwell. Then if it shows up as returned or the buyer has a conscience and returns the money then that's a bonus.

@OP:Kind of pricey IMO. I bought one in good condition for 750k just last week. Mind you it did have a slight scratch from the mast of a small boat it ate a while back...

LOL

Here's how to ship Int'l:

USPS First Class Intl Registered with Return Receipt

This can't be purchased online last I checked unfortunately but it is the most secure non-insanely priced method to ship Int'l. Return receipt means that it has to be signed for to be delivered and you get the signature card back in the mail and you need to do registered to get that on Int'l shipments. Overall this adds about $12-14 dollars to shipping price over plain First Class Int'l. The timeframe estimate is practically the same as Priority Int'l (6-10 days instead of 5-10 days.) You get a registered mail number which is the proper thing to use for checking the shipment on the USPS website, idk about using a customs form number.

I've done quite a few int'l shipments using this method on eBay and it has always worked flawlessly.

You are wrong dead wrong. it has nothing to do with UPS or Fedex. Its the Canadian Government. They are really the only country to do this. The reason they tax so high, or the idea behind it is, to keep Canadians working. They want all the stuff to be made there. Keep everything with in the country.

not trying to delve into politics, but isnt that what NAFTA was for? so that we can freely trade between the 2 countries? and puts Canada in the "most favored nation" status with the US? (MFN is used for low export/import taxes for a ally iirc usually below 5% )

edit:

MFN i was thinking of was china

With Most Favored Nation status, imports from China have a maximum tariff of 2% while China maintains a 30% to 40% tariff on US goods

You are wrong dead wrong. it has nothing to do with UPS or Fedex. Its the Canadian Government. They are really the only country to do this. The reason they tax so high, or the idea behind it is, to keep Canadians working. They want all the stuff to be made there. Keep everything with in the country.
sorry but he's dead right.

UPS is the big one that charges enormous brokerage fees... I bought a 15 dollar (shipping included) P3 2 years ago and they charged me 20 bucks in brokerage, that didn't include the tax. Fedex has done the same.

As for the tax, the tax is to make money on sales and purchases so they can get money, THATS IT. Its the same as our sales taxes here, so the government doesn't miss out on anything. Not to keep things in canada, as things made in canada are still taxed, both on the sales end and the purcahsing end.

And its so high because we're a country that demands alot of money due to our universal medicare.

Uh... Your customs # on the receit is your tracking number. I have used this before when shipping to Canada. Put the customs number in the tracking information on USPS.com, I bet you it works.

this is what I though but definitley not the case. Using the number on the USPS site yeilds just the info about when i released the package to the post office, nothing else. On the canadian site it gets nothing. According the the USPS the customs form # is in no way trackable : (

IIRC, NAFTA only works for product manufactured in North America. If the product was manufactured elsewhere, you get charged custom fees.

Sorry about what happened,but i will say that using sig required for usps does not neccessarily get you off the hook.I am in the middle of a claim now.The buyer had 3 ways to contact me,chose none and reversed payment over 3 weeks after said reciept of item.

Now,paypal makes this more hard to resolve as they don't give the the details of what the dispute is about!!And note the length of time that passed.Surely someone with a legit problem would a>say something before going this route,b>not wait soo long!

Present status over the phone they tell me it was reversed in my favor,but online check shows the case still in dispute.I handled this claim both on the phone and replied to the threat of reversal online as well to prevent them trying to say i did not cooperate or some crap to the fullest..

I think it's garbage that a>a claim can be made so late,b>you have to get stressed long after you rightly made a sale,have proof of delivery b>know the claim is absolute bs but they can do it anyway.

I am not saying i wont use paypal anymore because of this,but i will not be quite as layed back the seller dude,lol.I also open to other options that are similar to paypal but have not checked into really.

I don't think paypal quite has their act all together,and i have lost some confidence in the processl.

Hope i am not sidetracking too much,but i think this is happening more than i thought,and just wanted to add this for thought.:beer:

this is what I though but definitley not the case. Using the number on the USPS site yeilds just the info about when i released the package to the post office, nothing else. On the canadian site it gets nothing. According the the USPS the customs form # is in no way trackable : (

Then PayPal should give you your money back! You obviously have the package sent, customs is the blame.

Also, I wanted to say that despite what is said, delievery confirmation IS trackable. One time I had a package being sent to me fall of the map. I did everything I could, and the package was found. My case domestic, but the same might apply. I went to the Post Office, and made an inquiry about a package with DC. Most people that work at the PO don't know about this, so you might have to ask a few.

Last edited:
If no one wants to get screwed by paypal get signature required with USPS.

Signature Confirmation is great, but way too expensive for every package, it's just not worth it, unless if you rarely ship, and when you do, they're expensive items.

Remember, everything over $249.99 with Paypal requires Signature Confirmation, or you will lose your claim!

Sorry Paul :(

I had one dispute with a seller on eBay, received damaged goods when some guy shipped me DVD's in a paper sack :rolleyes: Took a lot of BS but I finally got my money back.

According the the USPS the customs form # is in no way trackable : (

USPS does not really have tracking, they have delivery confirmation. Last time I shipped to Canada I asked about delivery confirmation and was told it doesn't exist for packages going to Canada. They said I should use the number on the customs form. It seems to me that if you have a customs form with the delivery address and it shows it was released to the PO for delivery that is sufficient.

Back