• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I may have killed my 9800 gt =( No post beep, no video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leach19m

It all started when a wire or something fell into the path of one of the fans and it started making this very annoying clicking sound. So I popped open one of the side panels to attempt to find a way to move it. In the process I accidentally knocked the power cable off the HDD. After I did lots of searching around in the case I figured this out and hooked it back up, but now I have no video and there's no POST beep. The green LED on the mobo is lit up, so that means that the mobo is good right? Also I tried removing different parts to test how far it goes in the boot process. Also, I have reset CMOS several times.

When I took off the RAM it beeped telling me that the memory is bad/missing. So I put that back on and removed the video card, and it beeped telling me that the video card was missing. But when everything is hooked up there's no beeps and no video, it seems to be locking somewhere in the boot process. I also tried disconnecting the HDD and DVD drive so the PSU is only powering the parts needed for boot, no love though. Like I said in the title, the fans all spin, the lights turn on, the drives spin up (DVD and HDD). When I have the monitor cable disconnected completly there's a message on the screen telling me that it's disconnected. When it's hooked up though the screen is just blank and the power light is orange (standby) instead of the blue it is when it's powered up.

I think I may have fried my video card, and here's why. When I was looking around after I knocked the power cable off the HDD there is a wire coming off the mobo that has it's end soldered together. This touched the video card and the system shut down immediately. There's also some very small white arc looking marks on the video card between some of the metal componets on the card. Did I just fry it?

Some system info for ya...

MOBO = Asus P5N-D
CPU = Intel E2200
GPU = NVIDIA 9800 GT
PSU = 500w Raidmax

I'm going to try and take a trip down to the builder sometime this coming week and see if he can throw some of his extra parts on it and see if replacing one fixes it, but until then...any ideas or suggesting?

I read some stuff online and it looks like it may be a PSU failure? I don't have any friends with computers with real video cards and easy access to the mobo, so testing it like that wouldn't really work out in afraid. It sucks too cause I just bought the computer less than a week ago. And now it's a big, expensive paperweight. What's worse is I wasn't able to fix the clicking. LOL I screwed it up for nothing!

I wouldn't screw around with the wiring when the system is running.

You did make sure to plug in the power adapter to the Vidcard right?

yeah the cord from the power supply to the video card is hooked up. The fan spins and all That on the card. Just no love on the boot and video.

Back