• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i messed up building my first pc will i be ok

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pairenoid

Registered
so i felt i improperly installed the heatsink on my i5 2500k, i didnt hear 4/4 clicks when pushing down the pins

i took the pins out, took out the heat sink, and put it back down (2 times because i messed up =/)

so basically the first time i took off the heat sink i saw a good circular imprint of the thermal paste both on the cpu and fan, but it was some what sloppy as it might produce air bubbles, but at the same time it was a nice circlular shape

anyways right now i reseated the heatsink with 4/4 clicks and i know its a solid connection, but im wondering if i should worry aobut the fact that i took off the heatsink and reseated it without messing with the paste, i did NOT power up so there was no heat to dry the paste, it was basically reseated 3 times in 1-2 minutes

i think i can still power up, install w7, check temps with hw monitor

but im still worried my temps will be off 5-10 degrees, i will def buy an aftermarket cooler and new paste if this is the case but what do you think, should i be fine (cant power up till i get my ram so im sitting here all stressed out)
sorry for this paranoid newb question but i spent a lot of money and i dont want to have to replace my parts because of a stupid mistake i made

First the stock HSF sucks ***; it is impossible to get on right the first time, I'll vouch for that. Second the TIM paste being disturbed really isnt an issue unless its been curing for awhile and is no longer viscous enough to re-seal the joint and make it airtight.

That the key word; if the seal on the HSF contact is air-tight your temps will be OK.

You should be fine, just check the temps in bios when you first start up and make sure the cores aren't too hot.

so i felt i improperly installed the heatsink on my i5 2500k, i didnt hear 4/4 clicks when pushing down the pins

i took the pins out, took out the heat sink, and put it back down (2 times because i messed up =/)

so basically the first time i took off the heat sink i saw a good circular imprint of the thermal paste both on the cpu and fan, but it was some what sloppy as it might produce air bubbles, but at the same time it was a nice circlular shape

anyways right now i reseated the heatsink with 4/4 clicks and i know its a solid connection, but im wondering if i should worry aobut the fact that i took off the heatsink and reseated it without messing with the paste, i did NOT power up so there was no heat to dry the paste, it was basically reseated 3 times in 1-2 minutes

i think i can still power up, install w7, check temps with hw monitor

but im still worried my temps will be off 5-10 degrees, i will def buy an aftermarket cooler and new paste if this is the case but what do you think, should i be fine (cant power up till i get my ram so im sitting here all stressed out)
sorry for this paranoid newb question but i spent a lot of money and i dont want to have to replace my parts because of a stupid mistake i made

I wouldn't reboot without new paste. Any MFG will tell you in all caps not to reuse thermal paste or pad somewhere in their documentation.
I also suggest going for a better cooler. The stock one is terrible. If you have to keep ti though, 99% Isopropyl coffee filter, Q tip, remove, apply MX4 or Shin Etsu or something that's better than the stock anyways, just a rice grain plop in the middle is fine, and you're good.

(we use high purity isopropyl because it is an affordable way to remove Thermal paste, evaporates, and doesn't leave residue. It's evaporated within 10 seconds of wiping it on. It efficiently removes thermal paste from heatsinks and CPU. The coffee filter you use for large flat surfaces like the top of CPU and Heatsink base and its because it is a lint free cloth. The Q tip is also lintless. I roll them tight then dip in the cap of alcohol. Careful not to get traces of old TIM into your bottle of alcohol. Any pharmacy type store ought to have 99% iso.)

Back