• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a GOOD FAST document imaging scanner.. pleae help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squale

I have been comparing the different Fast-speed document scanners out there. I want a Duplex, Color scanner and don't want to spend much more than 2K on one. What do you guys think are 1.) The best manufacturers of these scanners, 2.) the best scanner models I can get for around that price, and 3.) what speeds do you think I need to be able to scan 500-1000 page books daily?

I have looked at the Fujitsu FI series scanners and they seem pretty nice. I have also looked at some Canon and Panasonic models as well. In particular, these two scanners are probably at the top of my list right now.. can somebody comment on these and how they compare to the competition and if there is something better out there...

1.) Fujitsu FI-4120C http://www.fcpa.com/products/scanners/fi-4120c/

2.) Fujitsu FI-4530C http://www.fcpa.com/products/scanners/fi-4530c/

Thanks guys!

The current issue of PC-Mag just did a whole thing on scanners.

They went over both Home and SOHO scanners.
HP had this really good one with an ADF (auto document feeder) and such and such, it was also part of a networked All-in-one, but i'm sure that they make a standalone version of that scanner. I can't really remember which one it was, if i can find it, i'll post again.

All the big names like Xerox, Canon, HP, Epson etc make good scanners so pick the one that fits your needs the best. I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but if you are scanning in say 1 500-1000 page book daily, then 25ppm should be just fine. If that's the case, then I would take a look at the HP Scanjet 8290. Flatbed scanner with an auto document feeder is the way to go. Document feeder for all the normal stuff and you can go back and rescan using the flatbed for problematic pages and for better quality on specialized items. Scanning in that many pages, I wouldn't try to go for a sheet-fed only solution like the Fujitsu units you picked.

If you meant that you are scanning in multiple 500-1000 page books daily, then 25ppm certainly won't cut it, nor will your $2000 budget. If that's the case, I'd recommend production level equipment that can scan at 60ppm or better. I use a Xerox Digipath scanner at work in concert with a Xerox Docutech 6155 printer. But that setup is ridiculously expensive and probably not what you're looking for :D

I strongly recommend Epson. If you need it for any sort of professional graphics or anything of that calibur, go Epson all the way! HP (not a fan of HP) and Canon I've found are sub-par, you don't get as much for the money as you do w/ an Epson.

Back