• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a mouse and keyboard...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rabid Snail

Right now I am looking to replace my 5 year old peices of junk. Optical=good, but cordless is not a necesity, and if I needed it, it would be for the mouse, and not the keyboard. Any suggestions. I do alot of gaming, and have budget of $50 or so dollars.

I LOVE THIS KEYBOARD THe slim keys are far more sensitive and easy on my fingers when I'm gaming. And it's sooooo pretty.
23-150-002-01.JPG

And this is by far the most comfortable mouse I've ever used.

IBM Optical Navigator, I love you.

I have the mouse pictured in Captain Slug's post, and the matching key board. Their good. If you can hold off a couple weeks I bet on the day after ThanksGiving (Black Friday) their will be a good sale some where.

Is there any performance increase in a USB keyboard over a PS/2 one, and same with the mouse. I don't see there being any need for the bandwith, and the only thing I can think of is extra power (if USB actually provides more), and I can only see it as being a bad thing. Since I would be able to hook up less USB devices, and they would not work in the BIOS. My question is why they would do it...

Rabid Snail said:
Is there any performance increase in a USB keyboard over a PS/2 one, and same with the mouse. I don't see there being any need for the bandwith, and the only thing I can think of is extra power (if USB actually provides more), and I can only see it as being a bad thing. Since I would be able to hook up less USB devices, and they would not work in the BIOS. My question is why they would do it...
If you have a motherboard newer than a Socket 7 your BIOS supports Legacy USB devices (which means your keyboard will allow you to enter the BIOS and DOS).

I recommend against USB mice though. Under heavy system load they start slowing down because they use system resources. THis doesn't happen with USB keyboards.
If you downoad and USE PS2Rate you can overclock a good mouse to a response rate of 200hz. That's 75hz better than any optical mouse.

Oh, and USB doesn't provide any more power than PS/2
They both run off of the 5V line. PS/2 mice are more reliable because they're more hardware dependant than software. They communicate through simpler hardware and don't eat system resources.

Back