• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Need A New HUB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo_18

My Linksys 5-Port Workgroup Hub has craped out. im looking to get sumin new and faster. whats the best and fastest router out there right now? and that will last me more then 2 years?

neo

INT21

Registered
Do you mean the best and fastest in the home market or in general?

Without pawning your car, the SMC 2804WBR is a great choice. It does both 802.11b and 802.11g. I prefer the webAdmin on this router compared to the other home market models from Linksys, D-Link, etc... There are some nice features for port mapping and advanced firewall configuration.

But if you actually meant the best and fastest go with the Cisco CRS-1!! It even has it's own "Self Healing" OS <g>

JDXNC

You should definately look into a "switch" rather than a hub. Hubs are dumb and just send info to all the computers on the networks rather than acutally routing it to the specific pc its intended for which creates a lot of packet collisions and slows down the network.

I can complain, I paid $35 for my 8 port GigaFast switch, had it for several years now and my lan is MUCH fast than when I had a hub.

OP
neo_18

neo_18

LOL yah i was more looking for Home use.. LOL.. paw my car, LOL i dont got a car :rolleyes: .. but yah.. i only had the 2 computers hooked up on the hub. i dont really want somthing where HAVE to hook my cable modem up into. the way i have my network set up now, i like it and i under stand it. the way it set up is:

1 network usb card for the cable modem
1 network card in main rig going to and from the hub
1 network card on the other rig go to and from the hub

i would like to keep this setup. but im looking for somthing that will work well and hold up to heavy network flow.

what sould i get?

P.S. the network cards i got are just sum no name cards. when this hub was working well i was doing about 62-70MBs with the network card set at 100MBs.

neo

delljunks

for router, i love this Dlink DI-604. I saw it for as cheap as $40 (around what I paid at Best Buy years ago). NEVER fails me, and fast.

Kendan

Senior Punk
You would be much better off going with a router hooked up like this:

Internet >> Modem >> Router >> your computers.

This has several advantages.

1. your main rig does not have to be on foor the secondary to have internet.
2. You are better protected from worms like Blaster and Sasser without having to use a software firewall
3. You can add more devices easily in the future.

Not to mention you can get a router for cheap;)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
neo_18

neo_18

cool. ill have to go and look at the routers at the store. but i have bin messing around the last fewdays coz i dont think my hub is dead. i got it working right now and no errors. but i just got every thing set back up. so ill have to tested it out and see what goes on.

the reason i have the hub and only 2 computers is coz i only own 2 computers but i do fix a few comps for other ppl and make sum good cash on the side. so i the hub for the other comuters if i need to get on the net for updates and what not, + its not bad havin a few more ports coz you never know when u need them :)

Neo

OP
neo_18

neo_18

i just put everything back to the way it was. but i took out the vid card on the main rig, all seems to be well. i dont know if the vid card on that rig is bad or the agp slot has gone. ill have to test it, but ill be doing that later. i just put a old radeon 7000 PCI card in the main rig, and seems to be working just fine. Now why would a vid card mess up my in home network? the main rig wold work when i did not have any other computers on. but as soon as i had an other computer on, the main rig would crash. i guess thats what happens when you got a Nvidia card in your computer :eek: " J/K! all you Nvidia peeps ;) " it was a GeForce 2 MX200 64mb. i dont know this just seems messed up. but i guess that computers for yah.

anyone know why this would happen coz of a vid card?

Neo