• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need guidance on my UPS purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DNRDustin

I recently moved to Pensacola Fl and realized that it's foolish of me not to be protecting my electronics investment. One of this weeks tornadoes touched down less than a mile from my house, and a lightning strike in the front yard....... well you can imagine what happened to all the electronics in the house. And it's not even hurricane season yet! I was working when this all was happening, and was forced to drop out of a conference call. On top of it all, I live in an older house in an older neighborhood, brown outs are regular and my lights flicker pretty much any time it storms.

What do I want from the fine, informed, users of OCF? A simple :thup: regarding the purchase I'm considering of this unit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102133

Other than a pure sine wave, I'm not sure what I should be considering feature-wise. What else should I be keeping in mind? I'm also open to other products, If you're going to suggest any please keep them at/around/under $200. Thanks!

I will be powering the Rig in my sig, 1xAOC I2269VW-B, 1xSAMSUNG S24B30BL, and 1xUbee ddw365.

I recently moved to Pensacola Fl and realized that it's foolish of me not to be protecting my electronics investment. One of this weeks tornadoes touched down less than a mile from my house, and a lightning strike in the front yard....... well you can imagine what happened to all the electronics in the house. And it's not even hurricane season yet! I was working when this all was happening, and was forced to drop out of a conference call. On top of it all, I live in an older house in an older neighborhood, brown outs are regular and my lights flicker pretty much any time it storms.

What do I want from the fine, informed, users of OCF? A simple :thup: regarding the purchase I'm considering of this unit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102133

Other than a pure sine wave, I'm not sure what I should be considering feature-wise. What else should I be keeping in mind? I'm also open to other products, If you're going to suggest any please keep them at/around/under $200. Thanks!

I will be powering the Rig in my sig, 1xAOC I2269VW-B, 1xSAMSUNG S24B30BL, and 1xUbee ddw365.

That unit would fit your needs easily but be advised a UPS won't stand up to a direct hit.
The safest thing to do is turn off your computer and pull the plug during a thunder storm.
Personally I use APC ES550 and ES650 units and pull the plugs / shutdown during
thunderstorms. Never had a problem doing that.

That's a great unit! I use the 1500 VA version of that!

(And welcome to Florida!)

One thing to keep in mind when setting things up...the surges from storms and lightning strikes will hit other places in your house in addition to the AC power...namely the cable and phone lines. The unit you picked out has protection for those inputs as well...make sure you run your lines through these before it connects to your electronics.

For example, I have the cable line going into the UPS and out of the UPS before going into the cable modem.

Hope this make sense.

I ended up grabbing the 1500. So I've been reading a lot about the coaxial protector, and it seems that it will cause line interference. Can you confirm or discount that? @RollingThunder CP claims that it can handle a lightning strike, and backs the claim with 500,000 insurance, thats even part of their advertisement schpeal. Not to mention I cant just say "my house might get hit by lightning, gotta go" In the middle of a work call. That'll cost me my job, eventually if not immediately.

I have not had any issues with the coaxial causing line interference.

The spec says RG6...and that's the higher quality cable for home cable installs.

Back